Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [SOLVED] Link category/Widget titles (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7030)

jenny_li May 8, 2010 01:11 PM

[SOLVED] Link category/Widget titles

Hi,

I'm new here, new to WP, new to Atahualpa and new to everything pretty much so... be gentle with me, will ya? ;)

I am impressed how far I've managed to get with my attempts to design my own blog - considering how little I know about anything webdesign. So first off a BIG thank you for making a theme that even I can at least do SOME stuff in! (Donation pending, promise!)

BUT - I need some help:
For some odd reason, some of my link categories behave differently than the others. See here:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...categories.jpg

I've set all the categories up exactly the same - and it's not really brain surgery at that, so I can't figure out what I've done wrong...? Anyone else?

Also - I think these headlines (or "titles", perhaps?) are too big. I want them bold, so they stand out, but I'd like to decrease their fontsize. But they won't go smaller than this. I've tried the widget title-box in the options area, but this is still the smallest it will go - if I put in smaller than 0.8em, it still doesn't go smaller than this.

And last - is there any way I can choose font for titles separately? I only find the general font-familly box in the Body-text-links-area, and then I change the font for the whole site...

The site is here: http://himmelochord.se - although I will probably fiddle around some more with it while waiting (eagerly) for a response from here.

Huge thanks in advance!
//Jenny :)

PS: And another thing - I really like the theme's rectangle "bullets" (as opposed to the ugly standard bullets I've got instead...), but is there a way I can change their color?

juggledad May 9, 2010 05:02 AM

What version of Atahualpa and WP?
How did you create your links?
Are you using the standard 'Links' widget? What settings in the widget?

Quote:

PS: And another thing - I really like the theme's rectangle "bullets" (as opposed to the ugly standard bullets I've got instead...), but is there a way I can change their color?
look at the options at ATO->Style WIDGETS

jenny_li May 9, 2010 03:17 PM

WP 2.9.2
Atahualpa 3.4.6 (as I understood it the 3.4.7 is so new it's causing ppl problems, and considering how much I understand of everything, I figured I'd wait to upgrade...! :) )

I created the link (all in the same way) by clicking 'links' and 'add new'... I'm pretty sure I had added the Links-widget to the right sidebar where I wanted the links, but now when I check, that area is empty. (But the links are still there on the site...) So as for settings - none, I think...?

(Edit: I tried now to put the Links-widget back, but then all categories but one just disappear... I just don't get this. *blush*)

The bullet/rectangle/border thing sorted though - thanks! :-)

jenny_li May 9, 2010 03:26 PM

There - I think I sorted the widget-issue (yay!): I had My Link Order-plugin installed, but had used another one. Guess there was a conflict, so when I use the MLO-one, it looks right.

Now - the only thing I still don't know how to do, is how to make the title font smaller...? Because I can change the Widget title font to 0.5em - it doesn't affect the size one bit. Where do I adjust that...?

Thanks a million for all help so far!
//Jenny

lmilesw May 9, 2010 04:39 PM

Try using px instead of em. I think I had that issue at one time.

jenny_li May 9, 2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 31538)
Try using px instead of em. I think I had that issue at one time.

Now (!) I've found the CSS.php-file where I could fiddle with the font sizes. BUT - there is one set of sizes in px and one set in em... Which one is for what purpose? I tried fiddling with both, but couldn't really make out what really did the trick...?

Also - since I don't know the first thing about editing those files... Is there recommended reading where I can find what I'm looking for and what does what? I mean - size is pretty self-instructional, but there will be more stuff I want to change. I feel like I'll be asking a heckuvalot of questions around here otherwise... :confused:

A "...for dummies"-book that I can pick up? (But what should I look for? PHP for dummies? CSS for dummies? WP for dummies...?)

Thanks for your help.

//Jenny Da Nitwit ;)

juggledad May 10, 2010 04:01 AM

1) don't mess with the CSS.php file unless you take good notes and plan to remake the changes next update. Better to use the ATO-> Add HTML/CSS Inserts->CS Inserts option for changing the c
CSS
2) I started with 'Teach yourself CSS in 10 minutes and make use of ww.w3schools.com/css

lmilesw May 10, 2010 05:13 AM

Jenny,

When I said use px instead of em I was talking about in ATO>Style WIDGETS>Widget Title not in any of the php files. I never mess with them.

jenny_li May 10, 2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 31576)
Jenny,

When I said use px instead of em I was talking about in ATO>Style WIDGETS>Widget Title not in any of the php files. I never mess with them.

OK - point taken. But the problem is - I do change there, and the result is... none. Nothing happens. Which is what I don't understand, and the reason I was hunting for somewhere else to make changes instead...

But I'll see if I can make something out of what juggledad had suggested, and see if that helps.

Thanks so far...!

lmilesw May 10, 2010 08:46 AM

In CSS Inserts try
HTML Code:

div.widget-title {font-size:24px;}
changing the font size to what you want and see what happens.

jenny_li May 10, 2010 09:26 AM

Yay - that worked...! (Or actually I think what really worked was exchanging em for px in the widget title box - where it didn't work at first... Weirdness, this...)

One down, three thousand to go, eh...? ;) But gosh darn, I'll be smart when I'm done...!

Have an Amazon-cart with "Teach yourself CSS..." books going now too... I think I'll need something more basic than just bug you people around here...! *lol*

//Jenny

lmilesw May 10, 2010 09:34 AM

To help you in your quest for CSS proficiency you might want to install the Firebug plugin in Firefox. It lets you "play" with CSS without doing anything to the actual page. It also helps you to find which selectors are which. And as Juggledad mentioned www.w3schools.com/css/ is a good place to start. You can do practice editing there as well.

mai Mar 7, 2011 08:02 PM

Hi,

I'm also having the same problem as Jenny, and I followed your instructions with ATO but it doesn't work for me. Basically, I'm trying to reduce the font of the titles in the Links widget. The title font of the other widgets can be changed just fine when I change the option in Style Widget, but none of it would effect the font of the Links widget.

I'm using Atahualpa 3.4.6, and here's my blog:
www.flavorboulevard.com

(the titles in Links are significantly bigger than the titles in Categories and Archives, for example)

Thank you so much! I know absolutely nothing outside the ATO, so please go easy on me...

juggledad Mar 7, 2011 08:24 PM

The first widget in the left sidebar is a text widget. you have a <html><head><body> </body> and a </html> in it. Why?

mai Mar 7, 2011 11:23 PM

That was something I copied from the website where I got the information about do-follow. Does it affect the font of the Links widget?

juggledad Mar 8, 2011 09:39 AM

It can cause all sorts of issues and isn't needed.
what widgets do you use in the left sidebar?

mai Mar 8, 2011 09:07 PM

I've removed that text widget from the sidebar, now I have Archives, Links, Categories, and Facebook Connect. I tried changing the font of the titles in Links again, but nothing changes.

juggledad Mar 9, 2011 05:22 AM

have you tried using the option 'ato->Style WIDGETS->Widget Title' try
HTML Code:

font-size: .6em
or some other number - you can also use 'px' in place of 'em'

mai Mar 9, 2011 08:33 AM

Yes, when I do that the title font of all the other widgets change (get smaller), but the Links title doesn't. It is as if Links is not included in the code for style widget, so no matter how much I change the other things, it doesn't affect Links at all.

lmilesw Mar 9, 2011 10:48 AM

Not certain if this will be the answer but you could try adding the following to ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts and tweak as you like.
HTML Code:

td#left h3 {
font-size: 16px;
}

juggledad Mar 9, 2011 03:23 PM

You are right, those widgets do not have classes or div's that can be user to apply the atahualpa widget settings against

mai Mar 9, 2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 60124)
Not certain if this will be the answer but you could try adding the following to ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts and tweak as you like.
HTML Code:

td#left h3 {
font-size: 16px;
}

Yes! This works! Thank you Larry!
Thank you too, Juggledad, for telling me about the extra text widget that might cause problems.