Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Help: Did I just delete my home page?! (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=13137)

andrew_k Mar 4, 2011 07:51 AM

Help: Did I just delete my home page?!

Hi people,

THE PROBLEM:
I have changed *something* !(?) and my home page now looks like this. [EDIT: the page has been fixed, here's what it looked like:http://users.tpg.com.au/andreasx/images/broken_page.jpg

All that's left is the menu bar and one category/page?! Whilst the posts are still there ('edit' shows the content is there), when I click on 'preview', I get the screen above!

POSSIBLE CULPRITS:
The only other thing I changed was that I recall making a new page called 'home' (trying to make the front page static, and following a tutorial), and at one point I changed Settings->Reading-> Front page displays to 'static post' - and I fear (newbie guesswork) this may have deleted the previous atahualpa 'home' page (the one with the header, info etc etc ). In the admin panel I can see the posts are still there, and everything seems normal - EXCEPT that in Settings-> General, the 'site title' and 'tagline' fields are now blank...

I also remember deleting some unused pages earlier, but I don't recall 'home' being one of them.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR TO TRY TO FIX:
I tried restoring the deleted pages them from trash, but it made no difference.
I tried tools->import-> wordpress; and importing a recent save (xml file), but it made no difference. I'm new to WP, atahualpa, and php, and don't know what to do!

DID I SEARCH THROUGH BYTESFORALL, AND THE FAQS?
Yes, I did, but most similar problems were either related to an atahualpa update, or the persons page was completely blank; mine is not blank, the menu is bar there, with the sole 'home' category.

please advise

thanks

Andrew K
ps. FWIW: I'm using:
WordPress 3.0.5
Atahualpa 3.4.9
Plug ins:
Categories to Tags Converter Importer
Hello Dolly
Menu Manager
Thumbnail For Excerpts
WordPress Importer
WP Post Thumbnail

juggledad Mar 4, 2011 08:32 AM

Start off by going to the dashboard->settings->reading->Front page displays and set it to 'Your latest posts'

andrew_k Mar 4, 2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 59716)
Start off by going to the dashboard->settings->reading->Front page displays and set it to 'Your latest posts'

Hi Juggledad.

Thanks for the insanely fast response (!).

Yes, I did revert dashboard->settings->reading->Front page displays to 'Your latest posts' earlier, no difference.

standing by, fingers crossed..

Andrew
ps. I now recall that I removed the 'site title' and 'tagline' earlier from dashboard->settings->general a while ago, so that info (from my original post) is not relevant to this issue.

juggledad Mar 4, 2011 08:48 AM

odd, if you would like, send me a PM with an admin ID/pw and I'll poke around

andrew_k Mar 4, 2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 59721)
odd, if you would like, send me a PM with an admin ID/pw and I'll poke around

Thank you, will do!

juggledad Mar 4, 2011 10:43 AM

Ok, you are back up - I removed the %cats from the 'configure header area' option.
It looks like you may have deleted a category and that was messing things up. I replaced %cats with %pages

You should also set your permalinks back to what you want, I set them to default

andrew_k Mar 4, 2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 59734)
Ok, you are back up - I removed the %cats from the 'configure header area' option.
It looks like you may have deleted a category and that was messing things up. I replaced %cats with %pages

You should also set your permalinks back to what you want, I set them to default

THANK YOU! (phew!)

I still don't understand what happened. Assuming I deleted a category, why would this result in the loss of the entire home page, header, sidebars etc etc, and why would removing %cats bring everything back up? Btw, I tried adding %cats to style and edit header area-> (ie %logo %image %pages %cats), just to see what would happen, and the 'dud page' came back up. The categories are still there so I don't know where to go from here.. reconstruct the categories? or is something 'broken'? I'll read up more on how WP, atahualpa, pages, categories and posts interact.

Anyway, I'm back in business, donating now.

thanks Juggledad,

Andrew K