Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Space at top? Static Header/Columns with Scrolling "Body" ? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=21523)

bobwords Feb 17, 2014 11:00 PM

Space at top? Static Header/Columns with Scrolling "Body" ?

I have been using Atahualpa for several years, and just upgraded to Atahualpa 3.7.13.
I cannot discover how to do two things with Atahualpa Theme Options:

(1) Currently the Header/Logo has a white space (band) above it. How do I "raise" the Header/Logo area to the top of the screen, so that the Header Image begins at the top of the screen?

(2) Some themes have a "fixed" (static location) Header/Logo at the top, and sidebar columns (available via Widgets in Atahualpa) that remain in a fixed position on-screen, yet allow the reader to scroll-down in the main center "Body" of text -- while the Header and the Side Columns remain on-screen.
Is it possible to set Atahualpa 3.7.13 so that the Header & Columns remain on-screen while scrolling down-screen in the Body?

juggledad Feb 18, 2014 04:16 AM

1) without the url of the its it's hard to tell - use a code examiner like FireBug in FireFox to see what is causing it
2) you can play with making the area 'position: fixed' and see what results - did you search the forums?

bobwords Feb 18, 2014 06:06 PM

Thanks, Juggledad.

Disclaimer: I'm no IT guy. I'm a writer (among other things) and only set up the website so I could have a bit more control, and a nicer "look", than the WordPress.com in-house blogs had to offer.

I did search the Forums (not to sure how to identify the issue) and didn't find anything.

>>> the URL is >> www.antegodlin.com <<

It was all working fine before I upgraded (Sunday Feb.16) to the current versions of WordPress and Atahualpa 3. Before the upgrades, the Header Image (standard default Atahualpa flowers & berries) did not have white space above it. Since those Upgrades, it now has a band of white above the Header Image that is about the same size as the Header Image itself. That is not only unsightly and visually distracting, it is also a significant waste of screen-space.

My preference would be to leave the Header Image "band" the same size it is now, and move it ^UP^ so the white-band no longer exists.

If that isn't possible, I could live with the Header Image being twice as high, thus filling in the "overhead" space that is now white. (That option would waste screen space, but at least it would look better.)

I haven't a clue what a code examiner is; I could probably locate FireBug (I use Firefox), but might well not know what it would be telling me.

------------------
Q2 >I will try playing with the "position: fixed" stuff. This question (Q2) about scrolling is a lower priority than the first one. My main concern with Q2 to begin with is whether or not Atahualpa 3 even supports [body-scrolling with fixed header/columns]. If it doesn't, I'm wondering if any other blogging-friendly Themes do have that feature.

juggledad Feb 19, 2014 03:17 PM

When I go to the URL it I get
Quote:

To view this page, you must log in to area “antigodlin” on www.antegodlin.com:80.

bobwords Feb 19, 2014 04:13 PM

Arrgh! MyBad!
I password-protected it noonish today (for a while) to make some changes. I'll remove the protection right now, and leave it unprotected until I hear from you.
Apoligies -- and thanks for trying.

juggledad Feb 19, 2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

t was all working fine before I upgraded (Sunday Feb.16) to the current versions of WordPress and Atahualpa 3. Before the upgrades, the Header Image (standard default Atahualpa flowers & berries) did not have white space above it. Since those Upgrades, it now has a band of white above the Header Image that is about the same size as the Header Image itself. That is not only unsightly and visually distracting, it is also a significant waste of screen-space.
go to ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area and I'l bet the first thing there is '%bar1'. Remove it and the white line should be gone.

as for the 'fixed' You can make it fixed but in my quick experiment it teneded to effect the width of the header area.

bobwords Feb 19, 2014 05:32 PM

Thanks, Juggledad.
The Configure Header Area contained: %bar1 %image %page-right %bar2

> Removing %image = removed only the image; all else unchanged.
> Changing %page-right = re-positioned the top menu bar (dark green) to center/left, as expected.
> Removing %bar2 = removed the vertical white-space between the top menu bar (green) and the heading of the first Post in the Center/Body section.

>BUT: Removing %bar1, as you suggested, caused no discernible change in the entire Header Area. The white-space above the Image, etc., remained unchanged.

(I had actually tried removing that when I first noticed the problem. I tried the several iterations listed above again, just now, in case I might have missed something before.)

Another idea?

juggledad Feb 19, 2014 06:25 PM

Hmmm it looks like the %bar1 is still there. Go to ATO->Export/Import Setings and do an export and attach the settings to a reply.

bobwords Feb 19, 2014 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FWIW:
I took a look at antegodlin.com from my office computer, using three different browsers. The results:

> InternetExplorer > no dectectible white "band" above the Header Image.
> Google Chrome > very thin white "band" above the Header Image.
> Mozilla Firefox [the browser I normally use] > more substantial white "band" above the Header Image -- equal to about 1/2 the height of the dark green menu bar below the Header Image.

>>> this is a "desktop" computer, with a square-shaped flat-screen monitor.

With my normal home-office Toshiba laptop (the one I work on the webpage with) -- with its "widescreen" aspect ratio, the "white band" is of the same height as the actual Header Image.

Attached is the Exported Settings file.

Attachment 2503

juggledad Feb 20, 2014 04:38 AM

You still have %bar1 in the Configure Header area - remove it.

bobwords Feb 20, 2014 09:27 AM

As I explained above, I already once removed %bar1, Saved, and looked at the webpage: no change.
After several trials, of that process -- including trying the removal of other elements in that line of Settings code (to make sure that my changes were actually being Saved, which they apparently are) -- I put the %bar1 back into the Settings line.

I have just removed it again, so that the ATO > Style & Edit Header > Configure Header Area
line now reads:
%image %page-right %bar2

Again, no change in that white band.
Is there perhaps some Cache that might be preventing the removal of %bar1 from actually happening?
Or ... is it something else?

juggledad Feb 20, 2014 11:42 AM

It's now gone when I look at it in Safari, firefox and Chrome

bobwords Feb 20, 2014 01:38 PM

Wow. This is frustrating.
Maybe there's a cache I need to clear, or some such?
I just went back through the testing of this issue, on two different laptops: a brand-new Toshiba running Win 8.1, and a much older Toshiba running Win XP.

I shut down all the programs on each of my two laptops, then RE-BOOTED both computers.
I then (just now) checked the ANTEGODLIN.COM webpage in each of three browsers:
Firefox 27.0.1, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer.

TEST RESULTS SUMMARY:
GOOGLE CHROME > It looks PERFECT in on both laptops.
MOZILLA FIREFOX > The "White Band" is still there in on both laptops.
INTERNET EXPLORER > Newer laptop has "White Band" problem. Older laptop does not.
There are display problems using Internet Explorer on both laptops.

Details of the test results are shown below.

[At the bottom of this page are details of the two computers I tested the Atahualpa webpage, "antegodlin.com" on. Note that the Primary Laptop is running Windows 8.1, and the Secondary Laptop is running Windows XP. ]

TEST RESULTS - DETAILS:

PRIMARY LAPTOP (Win 8.1 / aspect ratio 16:9):

> FIREFOX: THE WHITE BAND IS STILL THERE, above the Header Image. Its height is slightly larger than the dark green menu band below the Header Image.

> GOOGLE CHROME: NO white band! > LOOKS GOOD !! <

> INTERNET EXPLORER: THE WHITE BAND IS STILL THERE, above the Header Image.
THE HEADER IMAGE DOES NOT EXTEND THE FULL WIDTH OF THE SCREEN, on either side -- the resulting space is GREY on the left side, and WHITE on the right side.
The images and all Fonts are slightly smaller in the Internet Explorer version.

-----------------
SECONDARY LAPTOP (Win XP / aspect ratio unknown, but not as "wide"-proportioned as the Primary Laptop's 16:9 aspect ratio):

> FIREFOX: THE WHITE BAND IS STILL THERE, above the Header Image. Its height is slightly larger than the dark green menu band below the Header Image.

> GOOGLE CHROME: NO white band! > LOOKS GOOD !! <

> INTERNET EXPLORER: NO white band! > LOOKS GOOD !! ... except for >>
The fonts are quite large, and the proportions of the Site Title and the Tagline (in the Header) are messed-up with regard to their position re: opacity of Header Image.

-----------------------------------------------
My Primary laptop is:
Toshiba S55t A5334
15.6” widescreen
16:9 aspect ratio
1920 x 1080
Windows 8.1

Secondary (OLD!) Laptop is:
Toshiba Satellite Pro S330-S2604
15.4” display
“widescreen” – more “rectangular than
1280 x 800
Windows XP

---------------------------

lmilesw Feb 20, 2014 04:35 PM

I don't know what to tell you. You site looks fine for me on all browsers on both by Windows 8.1 laptop and my Windows 7 Desktop.

bobwords Feb 20, 2014 05:14 PM

... and I don't know what to ask!

Thanks for the help.
Likely I'll continue to work on it using my preferred browser, Firefox, and will take a look at it from time to time in Chrome, to check how it "really" looks.

IE is IE -- never liked it anyway!

~bobwords

juggledad Feb 20, 2014 06:43 PM

I make sure you haven't use the browsers ZOOM function