Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   blank wp-admin page with Atahualpa 3.32 and WP 2.71 (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1256)

wpuser Apr 13, 2009 07:28 PM

blank wp-admin page with Atahualpa 3.32 and WP 2.71

Hi all, my apologies in advance if this query has already come up:

Activating Atahualpa 3.32 on WP 2.71 stops me from seeing any of my wp-admin pages after logging in. Ie the next page to be shown is blank. the sit however is up and works fine with Atahualpa.

This is a brand new installation of WP 2.71 so only has the standard items installed, there are no modifications at all.

I can only get back into my wp-admin pages by renaming the Atahualpa folder in my themes folder so my installation defaults back to the standard theme.

I appreciate any help or guidance anyone can provide with this wp-admin problem, thanks!

Flynn Apr 14, 2009 07:14 AM

Does this happen with other non-default themes, too?

Do you have spaces anywhere in the atahualpa theme directory such as /atahualpa 332/?

Did you upload the whole theme including the subdirectories such as /functions/, /js/ etc..?

Disable plugins one by one to see if a plugin is causing this.

oLi303 Apr 15, 2009 05:29 AM

I have the same problem.
deactivating plugins has a random effect. means: it doesnt matter wich plugin i deactivate. sometimes after deactivating i can see the backend a while, but after adding more pages it happens again. also totally random :confused: switching to a default theme fixes it all. no name spaces and yes i uploaded all.

Flynn Apr 15, 2009 05:35 PM

Perhaps you're running out of PHP memory. Does the error occur with all plugins turned off?

wpuser Apr 16, 2009 03:35 AM

Hi, ive tried a number of other non standard themes, all work well, there is no space in the Atahualpa332 folder, and ive uploaded all of the required files and folders, finally I have no plugins activated at all.

how would I check if im running out of PHP memory?

thanks again for the assistance

Flynn Apr 16, 2009 04:19 AM

You may have a blank line at the bottom of /wp-config.php (a Wordpress file, not Atahualpa) or /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/functions.php

I have no idea where this could be coming from if you didn't manually edit Atahualpa files.

wpuser Apr 16, 2009 06:00 AM

yes there was a blank line at the end of the wp-config.php file which i removed but with no success. I have noticed that after activating Atahualpa the experiencing the wp-admin blank page, I then rename the Atahualpa332 folder which resets the site to the default theme, but then some items are missing from the wp-admin dashboard - recent comments, incoming links and plug ins. this is even when they are ticked to display under the screen options inthe top right of the wordpress dashboard screen. so not sure if this is related?

also I thought I would start again from the beginning - so I deleted all of the wordpress and Atahualpa files and folders and then I removed the database from my hosting account. then i created a new database, downloaded fresh copies of wp and Atahualpa, and ftp'ed them again. finally activating Atahualpa has the same problem. so I'm stumped :-(

Flynn Apr 16, 2009 04:13 PM

And you aren't getting PHP error messages either? Perhaps you can turn on or let your host turn on PHP error notices to get some pointers. Do you have some special hosting setup like nginx or lighthttpd instead of Apache (although I am successfully running it on nginx)?

Try another browser too

Regarding PHP memory, you can see what you have by creating a file with this content

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

saving it as i.e. phpinfo.php, uploading it to yoursite.com/phpinfo.php and calling it in your browser. It'll list a lot of info of your PHP configuration including

memory_limit XX M

You can also try to increase the limit by adding this to the .htaccess file in your Wordpress root directory

php_value memory_limit 32M

But this might not work. You host's global settings may not allow to change something like this through htaccess. Call yoursite.com/phpinfo.php again to see if the memory_limit value has changed.

But if it's already at 32 MB then that should be sufficient for WP, Atahualpa and a good amount of plugins.

oLi303 Apr 18, 2009 10:40 AM

My memory limit is set to 40M (1 und 1) same problem. what i found out now is: it only happens when i try to edit pages (there are lots of them). Editing/adding posts works pretty good.

sintetik Apr 21, 2009 08:35 AM

Hi

I have the same problem. WP 2.3.3 and last Atahualpa 3.32 , site wrks property but admin panel is blank.

sintetik Apr 21, 2009 10:21 AM

I've made some experiments, downloaded version 2.2 , 3.2 and tried them.
2.2 all OK
3.2 when I go on some admin pages I've got error - server not response, after 2-3 refresh I see the page.

tomorrow I'll try 3.3 and 3.3.1

wpuser Apr 21, 2009 04:47 PM

Flynn, thanks for the sugegstions, but using the method to create a file containing <?php php_info(); ?> returns a blank page for me, so I cant shed any light on my available PHP memory.

Interesting to see that some others are experiencing the same type of problem. I will look at combining some older versions of WP and Atahualpa to see what happens as well.

Flynn Apr 22, 2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpuser (Post 5370)
Flynn, thanks for the sugegstions, but using the method to create a file containing <?php php_info(); ?> returns a blank page for me, so I cant shed any light on my available PHP memory.

Interesting to see that some others are experiencing the same type of problem. I will look at combining some older versions of WP and Atahualpa to see what happens as well.

A typo, sorry, should have been <?php phpinfo(); ?>
I updated the post above.

sintetik Apr 22, 2009 11:19 AM

problem solved by increasing memory for PHP up to 32Mb

wpuser Apr 27, 2009 12:48 AM

Flynn, I adjusted that file and found out that I had 16MB of php memory, so I asked my web host to set my php memory to 32MB and looks like the problem is solved! I will keep an eye on it as I add more plugins and make mods over time, but for now, thanks for the advice!

Flynn May 9, 2009 04:08 PM

I'll look into the PHP memory usage for the next version.

32 MB is fairly modest in my opinion but still... definitely want Atahualpa to run anywhere

I may have to break down the 25 theme option tabs into 25 real pages instead of loading them all at once as I do now (for speedier navigation between the menu sections).

oLi303 May 12, 2009 06:58 AM

I solved the problem today with updating the host to php 5.x.x ( was a php 4.x.x before)

jhofman Dec 23, 2009 06:14 PM

I'm experiencing a lot of blank pages and internal "500" errors, so this post was enlightening. My hosting is with 1and1, and in thier FAQs I found this:
Quote:

Can the memory usage limit be increased on shared hosting with a php.ini file?

Due to resource limits on our Shared Hosting machines, it is not possible to allocate more than 20M
of memory to PHP, although phpinfo() may report a higher number. You will be unable to increase
the memory usage limit with a php.ini file.
So I guess I'm screwed unless the Atahualpa options is broken down into more separate pages? I would seriously contribute money for some development on this. Atahualpa is an incredible tool!

Thank you, who ever you are!

juggledad Dec 24, 2009 04:41 AM

You could always move to a host with better options

jhofman Dec 24, 2009 04:35 PM

Turns out 1and1 actually DOES allow up to 40MB and I was able to change it with a simple php.ini file. I confirmed that I now have 40MB of memory, but I STILL get blank "pages" page in my admin when I try to run more than 5 plugins. :confused:

juggledad Dec 25, 2009 04:05 AM

For what it's worth, I've read that while 1and1 seems to allow you to allocate more memory, your php.ini is overridden by the site - you never get more than the 20MB even though php thinks it can allocate more.

Now this may have changed, but...all your symptoms point to php memory problems

jhofman Dec 25, 2009 09:29 AM

This is what they told me:

Quote:

The php memory in the shared hosting server has been increased already to 40MB. You need to create a php.ini file using any text editor in your local computer and place this code memory_limit = 40M; inside it in order to set the php memory to 40 in the server. It is our pleasure to assist you and your understanding is very much appreciated.
And using the phpinfo file described above, I concluded that I have 40MB available:

Quote:

memory_limit 40M 40M
I've got to get to the bottom of this!

juggledad Dec 27, 2009 06:05 AM

can you install WP Security Scan (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/) and copy/paste the system info from the right hand side.

poe Jan 17, 2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhofman (Post 21439)
I'm experiencing a lot of blank pages and internal "500" errors, so this post was enlightening. My hosting is with 1and1, and in thier FAQs I found this:

So I guess I'm screwed unless the Atahualpa options is broken down into more separate pages? I would seriously contribute money for some development on this. Atahualpa is an incredible tool!

Thank you, who ever you are!

I have 1and1 as a host as well and was getting a blank Posts edit page (Ataualpa 3.4.5, WP 2.9.1). It ended up being that 1and1 uses php4.x.x instead of php5.x.x - see http://faq.1and1.com/scripting_langu...ted/php/9.html on how to direct your pages to utilize php5. Works like a charm now... (had nothing to do w/ memory - I have the same 40M on 1and1)

ciprianmagda Jan 31, 2010 03:55 AM

thank you all for your great help! After few days of searching like 12 hours a day to solve this problem, I finally got here and solved my problem. It was a memory problem ideed! I had 12MB of memory alocated by default. First I tried the .htaccess solution and it didn't work. Then I found out that my provider offers up to 64M memory limit, so I created a php.ini file, just paste the code memory_limit = 40M; in it and uploaded it into the root of my website. Then checked the memory limit again and boom! It was 64M!! I logged it into my wordpress dashboard and it works just perfect now! So thanks again for you help! You guys saved my but! :)