Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Adding tables to pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3837)

StudioGal Oct 12, 2009 10:51 AM

Adding tables to pages

Is there a simple way to add tables to a page (in the body content, not sidebars) - or do they have to be hand-coded html?

I probably put this in the wrong place, but couldn't see another category where it fit - apologies.

AND THANKS

paulae Oct 12, 2009 10:56 AM

Get the TinyMCE Advanced plugin. It adds many useful items to the built-in post editor, including a table creation icon.

StudioGal Oct 12, 2009 11:07 AM

Thanks for your quick reply! Much appreciated.

I've downloaded and installed TinyMCE Advanced.

Do you know if this can be used with exec-php - which seems to require disabling WYSIWYG for php to work in the pages/posts?

I understand I need exec-php in order for Paypal buttons to work.

paulae Oct 12, 2009 11:41 AM

Hmmm. Not sure. Maybe Juggledad has the answer. Actually, I just posted about a tangential idea: you can add PHP code directly using the Edit Posts/Pages Info area, to the kicker or footer areas.

I know if you need to put an iframe into a post or page, you have to do it in HTML mode. If you switch to visual editor, the iframe code goes away. I don't see why you couldn't use the TinyMCE Advanced plugin, just switch to HTML mode when necessary. That's what I've done.

Remember to click on the kitchen sink icon to get all your new icons to show up. You have to configure TinyMCE advanced by dragging and dropping the new features you want up to the top. Then, say you want to add a table to a post. You'd click on the table icon, configure it, and then later if you want to edit it, right-click on the table and you can edit elements of the table. It's not as good as Dreamweaver's table creation, though. Sometimes I make a table in DW and copy/paste it into the post. Don't forget, too, that the theme has styles for tables, which you can configure in the ATA Options.

StudioGal Oct 12, 2009 12:03 PM

Thanks, I'll wait to see if juggledad jumps in with any more insight on the php. And so far, I don't plan on using iframes, but I'll keep that in mind.

A question on the TinyMCE setup - should I enable the bottom two check boxes in the Advanced section: "Import the current theme CSS classes", and "Stop removing the <p> and <br/> tags when saving and show them in the HTML editor>

I'm not sure what the implications of these are?

jkgourmet Oct 26, 2009 07:26 PM

ttt - I've got the same questions, please?

Flynn Oct 30, 2009 07:59 AM

I would create the tables manually in the WP editor, in HTML mode

HTML Code:

<table>
<tr>
<td> ... </td><td> ... </td><td> ... </td>
</tr><tr>
</tr><tr>
</tr>
</table>

StudioGal Oct 30, 2009 08:48 AM

Thanks Flynn, in the end that's what I did because the tables were quite simple ones.

If they had to be complicated, that would be a whole other story and I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Cheers.

ematser Dec 10, 2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn (Post 17844)
I would create the tables manually in the WP editor, in HTML mode

HTML Code:

<table>
<tr>
</tr><tr>
</tr><tr>
</tr>
</table>

Good Day, I am really a newbee, just installed wordpress with atahualpa theme. I want to create a website with static pages for the rental of a holiday-villa. I already succeeded to get rid of the sidebars, but now i want to be able to format the center page with text and pictures. A table should do that i guess, but if i use the table that you mentioned, I do not use the "whole" screen. How can I create a table which uses the whole screenwidth (or should the width be limited for people with smaller screens?)
And then after that I would like to create buttons to quickly be able to jump to other static pages, with more specific info as for example an availability calender. I mention this to maybe get info from you in which direction i should go, and maybe advise me on what to read and learn first.

Hope You can help me. Greetings Edwin Matser

juggledad Dec 10, 2009 08:05 AM

take a look at http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3845

ematser Dec 10, 2009 10:13 AM

Thanx; I will start there!

bigliettaio Dec 19, 2009 06:44 AM

Hi SG,
i used to make my tables with kompozer a mozilla plugin and then add it to post but finding not very perfoming tool a (re)biginning to insert manually table.

Remeber to write it "row by row" and look at following w3school rules :

HarryObs Feb 2, 2012 08:08 AM

Apart from tinymce are there any other plugins that can create tables. I need something quite flexible.

lmilesw Feb 2, 2012 11:41 AM

Please define flexible. Tables are just code you style with inline code or CSS and are by their nature flexible.

secretsquirrel Mar 14, 2012 10:21 AM

http://www.staffierescue.co.uk/

Hi I use Tinymc tables for the dog rescues websites, they appear to do their job fine as you can see in the link.