Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   ThemeFrame Presales (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Unexperienced newbie. (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=5568)

pioux Jan 28, 2010 05:10 PM

Unexperienced newbie.

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am a big newb when it comes to any type of programming or css. I have created just one website on wordpress and have used templates on it.

I am now looking into creating another website but I do want the ability to design and implement my own layout and was pleasantly surprised that ThemeFrame is comming out. What I wanted to ask though is that: Is this program designed for total newbs like me? Or am I required to know some knowledge of css or php or any sort of programming to get anywhere? It looks simple enough through the vids, but I'm afraid that once I start it up, I would be so overwhelmed that I would just freeze and have that deer and headlights moment, then walk away feeling defeated. (I am sure I am not alone with this experience LoL)

As you can imagine, I am simply intimidated by code and have no confidence in my ability in programming. (thats for smart people like you guys) :)

Thank you!

rove Jan 28, 2010 06:29 PM

Hey, Pioux,

I think Flynn's aim is to have sliders to the coding, as the vids demonstrate. [At this point, working thru the betas, I haven't touched code.] However, it is a beta, and may be that way for a while.

At the moment, it is unlikely you could get a complex workable theme from TF, but it appears that is Flynn's goal... and I truly hope he accomplishes it so no hand coding is involved.

On the other side of the coin, I've learned to cut and paste code, and the forums can be quite helpful.

And yes, the first beta had me looking like a deer in the headlights too... but I just had to jump in anyway!

Others might have different answers for you, but maybe this might be of help...

Rob

lmilesw Jan 28, 2010 06:32 PM

It HELPS to understand CSS and HTML to some extent with any kind of web development. But don't get intimidated. You just install a theme on a bogus site and start playing around. Pretty soon you start to feel a bit more comfortable and there are plenty of sites (w3c) for example to help your through the coding stuff. ThemeFrame and Atahualpa can very nicely help you learn as Flynn has, for instance, documented all over the place in Atahualpa to explain what the different areas do. ThemeFrame is still developing and it seems very quickly. Neither of these is like installing a theme and clicking a button to change the background from blue to red but the "tweakability" is immense.

Please just start plugging away and you will get there.

MizzBlitz Jan 29, 2010 09:47 AM

Thanks pioux for starting this thread because I too am a complete n00b and want to use TF to see if it will help me jumpstart designing a site in WordPress today.

What I wanted to confirm is - can I get TF and use it to tweak existing themes? I just have to "import" the theme, and then I can start changing it to fit my needs? Want to clarify that, because I'd like to import standard Atahualpa and work on changing that using TF. I just set up a site and hope to get it running in the next few days. I'm very inspired by the look of this site (http://criterioncast.com/) which used Atahualpa as a base theme.

Thanks.

juggledad Jan 29, 2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

What I wanted to confirm is - can I get TF and use it to tweak existing themes? I just have to "import" the theme, and then I can start changing it to fit my needs? Want to clarify that, because I'd like to import standard Atahualpa and work on changing that using TF. I just set up a site and hope to get it running in the next few days. I'm very inspired by the look of this site (http://criterioncast.com/) which used Atahualpa as a base theme.
NO - ThemeFrame does not work with existing themes - maybe someday but not now.

lmilesw Jan 29, 2010 02:42 PM

MizzBlitz - criterioncast.com doesn't have a lot of changes to the theme. The header images have been changed, They added a wibiya toolbar and several plugins. Bottom line is the "look and feel" is only a part of what makes a site unique. You should really spend some time on WordPress.org looking through the plugins section and start playing around.

MizzBlitz Feb 1, 2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 24176)
MizzBlitz - criterioncast.com doesn't have a lot of changes to the theme. The header images have been changed, They added a wibiya toolbar and several plugins. Bottom line is the "look and feel" is only a part of what makes a site unique. You should really spend some time on WordPress.org looking through the plugins section and start playing around.

My main issue is I am new to coding a theme with CSS/HTML. I like TF because you can WYSIWYG design the look of the theme without knowing all the coding.

I am wondering if it would be easier for someone like me to redesign Atahualpa without TF... or use TF to create a new theme that is similar to Atahualpa but more to my own needs. I need to start futzing around with it now...

lmilesw Feb 1, 2010 02:40 PM

Themeframe will certainly allow you to create a theme without knowing a lot of code but you will probably still need to twiddle with CSS at times. It's kind of hard to give you a real answer to your question without knowing you. For me it is a matter of playing around with the interface. Atahualpa is a wonderful tool to learn on as it is so well documented within the Atahualpa Theme Options. Themeframe is a different animal but I like the direction it's going. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but again I would just start playing with both. Remember that TF is still beta so you may encounter some "bugs" but I believe they will be short lived.

Flynn Feb 2, 2010 10:16 PM

ThemeFrame is very visual and does not require any coding at all. I don't know of any other framework or theme creator that offers visual (no-coding) CSS styling to such an extent, in such depth, down to the smallest link or icon.

Right now there is so much you can do that the documentation is lacking compared to the functionality, but I am working on it and releasing improved versions every few days, with more inline documentation, plus a WIKI is already in the works and will be opened soon. But ultimately the goal is to make it so intuitive that it won't require a lot of reading before getting started.

WTMark May 9, 2010 05:24 AM

Very impressive ! I like your site MizzBlitz

I too some day with extensive work hope to be as good some day with this.

JaneD May 9, 2010 11:38 AM

Currently most of my sites are designed with Ata and for "learning" ThemeFrame, I've been trying to recreate them in TF. Mostly with success, though I haven't used them on any LIVE sites yet.

I have found that I'm having trouble duplicating exactly the way the dashed menu bar looks (in sub-pages that require drop downs) and also the Table styling I thought I had setup properly (to zebra-stripe like Ata) isn't coming over into the new theme.

I don't have alot of time to play around with it yet, but just jump in & start playing & it will get easier.

ryan_lion Nov 2, 2010 10:10 PM

hello I just downloaded wampserver and installed . . getting this error when I try http://localhost/themeframe any suggestions?

Fatal error: Class 'SQLiteDatabase' not found in C:\wamp\www\themeframe\functions.php on line 20

I have the themeframe folder in the winamp www folder

thank you,

Ryan

lmilesw Nov 2, 2010 10:24 PM

Is SQLite enabled as per this thread?

flywebguy Dec 24, 2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Is SQLite enabled as per this thread?
It says that I can't view that thread... I have the same problem, is there anyone that can help me in this thread?

Thanks!

Dave Pitman Dec 24, 2011 03:33 PM

You are required to purchase Themeframe in order to be able to view that thread (Themeframe Memebers).

I do not know the logic behind this, other than the fact that the program is in beta.