Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] Comments showing after creating new post page (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6310)

talbin Mar 17, 2010 07:35 AM

[SOLVED] Comments showing after creating new post page

Hello:

I created a new static home page and new post page based on the excellent instructions on this page. However, once I did this, even though I have things set to not show comments, the comments are now showing. Before I did this, comments were hidden.

On the Wordpress Settings/Discussions, I have unclicked the box for "Allow Comments". When I create or edit a post, the box for "Allow Comments" is unchecked. The new post page is set to Private, as I only want people to access the comment via a link (the comment is actually an event description).

I must be missing something. How do I eliminate comments from showing on posts given this new configuration?

Thanks!

juggledad Mar 17, 2010 02:32 PM

what version of Atahualpa and WP?
What is the url showing the issue?

talbin Mar 18, 2010 05:36 AM

Thanks for replying, Juggledad. I really appreciate your looking into this. :)

Atahualpa: 3.4.6
WP: 2.9.2
Example 1 - full comments
Example 2 - "comments are closed"

Before the change, nothing at all was visible in the comment area.

Also, both these posts existed before I changed the post/page stuff - I haven't changed them at all. But I did try adding a completely new post after the change - came up with full comments. I also tried deleting a pre-change post and re-entering it, but no dice - also had full comments.

juggledad Mar 18, 2010 05:57 AM

I'm getting a NOT FOUND on the first example

juggledad Mar 18, 2010 06:12 AM

I just reread the post and you say you are making posts 'private'
Quote:

Private posts are visible only to you (and to other editors or admins within your site)

talbin Mar 18, 2010 08:38 AM

Hmm, not sure what's happening. The pages I linked show in WP Admin, but not on the site.

Try this one instead

Also - I made the post page private, not the posts themselves. My goal is to show clickable events (using Kirian O'Brien's calendar plugin) - allowing the user to see the full post for clicking, but not allowing access to a typical "blog page" per se.

Thanks, Juggledad.

talbin Mar 19, 2010 06:31 AM

Okay, I managed to get things looking the way I want them, but I have a feeling my fix isn't really "the" fix - I think something may still be not quite right with the underlying code. However, I'm not a programmer so I could very well be wrong about that. :)

Here's what I did:

ATO --> Edit Post/Page Info Items : I deleted everything in the three Footer areas

ATO --> Style & Configure Comments --> Comments are Closed Text : I deleted what was in the box.

It still seems that unchecking the WP Settings/Discussion option for showing comments should work, even if the blog posts have been moved off the Home page and onto another page that I created, but I did find a workaround.

Thanks!