Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to change center column layout? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=4918)

Rojo Dec 17, 2009 09:06 AM

How to change center column layout?

Hello,

I need to change the posts layout of the center column...

example:

at this time and by default posts showing in the center column like this:
post1
post2
post3
and so on

and need to make them showing like:

post1 | post2 | post3 | post4
post5 | post6......

I assume that I need to moderate this code in (options > Center Column > Style & edit CENTER COLUMN ):

Code:

<?php /* For SINGLE post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_post_links('Top'); ?>

<?php /* Post Container starts here */
if ( function_exists('post_class') ) { ?>
<div <?php if ( is_page() ) { post_class('post'); } else { post_class("$odd_or_even"); } ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } else { ?>
<div class="<?php echo ( is_page() ? 'page ' : '' ) . $odd_or_even . ' post" id="post-'; the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } ?>

<?php bfa_post_kicker('<div class="post-kicker">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_headline('<div class="post-headline">','</div>'); ?><p>

<?php bfa_post_footer('<div class="post-footer">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_byline('<div class="post-byline">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_bodycopy('<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_pagination('<p class="post-pagination"><strong>'.__('Pages:','atahualpa').'</strong>','</p>'); ?>

</div><!-- / Post -->

But I want to see some expert suggestions.

Best Regards,
Rojo

juggledad Dec 17, 2009 05:39 PM

the center column is a table with one row, each row contains a post. Without digging into the code, there is no 'option' to switch the center into a multi column area.

I also see a problem - what if post 1 was 100 words, say 1 inch in depth, and post 2 was 1000 words or 10 inches and post there was 50 words or 5 inches then on the next line, where would the posts lign up? Without some clever coding, there would be a 9 inch gap between post 1 and post 4.

Rojo Dec 17, 2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 21066)
I also see a problem - what if post 1 was 100 words, say 1 inch in depth, and post 2 was 1000 words or 10 inches and post there was 50 words or 5 inches then on the next line, where would the posts lign up? Without some clever coding, there would be a 9 inch gap between post 1 and post 4.

in my case all posts should be same width (about 200px) showing headline, footer and body (image and some text) before <!--more--> tag, so maybe there is possible to find some solution with known (fixed) width...?

Rashell Dec 29, 2009 02:44 PM

You could try the plugin "Page Columnist".

It doesn't create dynamic updates of your page with each new post added... like the typical "posts" frontpage. However, if you were to add content into a new page, separating some of it with the <!– Nextpage –> it will use that tag to display those segments in a separate columns. For instance you could add the thumbnail image (linked to the original/expanded post content) then a short excerpt separated by the <!– Nextpage –> tag and repeat the process for each article.

The pages won't be dynamic (as in automatically updated). They will remain the same with the same content for as long as the page exists on your blog. But who knows with a little hacking you may be able to use code to configure a column style "posts" frontpage that can be updated on the fly.

You can read more here...

Page Columnist Homepage

Demo page

Rashell

SharonJ Dec 28, 2011 05:09 PM

Rashell

I have installed this plug in but I cannot get it to work.
I want to have two columns.

I have tried putting in <!– Nextpage –> and nothing happens.

www.sidewalkproperties.ca

The front page is a static page. Does that matter?

SharonJ Dec 28, 2011 05:12 PM

I think my error is that this makes sub pages of content. and I just want two columns. :( I have deactivated it. Now I have to look for another solution!

lmilesw Dec 28, 2011 06:51 PM

There is more to that plugin than adding next page. You have to set some parameters in the right column for the page columnist. I also gave you a suggestion in another post about this same issue.

As a heads up it is better to start a single new thread for issues unless it exactly matches another post.

SharonJ Dec 28, 2011 07:46 PM

Apologies, Larry.