Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Help! Page Title Does Not Display Hyphens, Commas, etc.! (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=5147)

sfdiaries Jan 4, 2010 06:14 PM

Help! Page Title Does Not Display Hyphens, Commas, etc.!

Hey Everyone,

I was hoping you could help. For some reason, my blog does not display hyphens, commas, colons, etc. in the page/tab title.

I am pretty sure I didn't play with these settings (in fact I dont know where to even do that), and I was hoping you could help solve the problem.

My blog is http://www.sfdiaries.com and a good example to look at is the post title "Earth - The Most Interesting Place". The page title or tab title looks like "Earth – The Most Interesting Place" instead of "Earth - The Most Interesting Place". It has done this on a couple of other posts too, but not to all of them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

juggledad Jan 4, 2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

The page title or tab title looks like "Earth – The Most Interesting Place" instead of "Earth - The Most Interesting Place".
those are the same??

sfdiaries Jan 5, 2010 12:36 AM

Sorry I meant to say it says "Earth &_#_8211; The Most Interesting Place" (no underscores, I added those in because otherwise it would put in the hyphen).

If you can go to the link [http://www.sfdiaries.com/?p=240] and check it out, I would appreciate it!

sfdiaries Jan 9, 2010 04:23 PM

Let me clarify. If you have more than one tab open and have a character such as a hyphen, colon, etc., that character would be replaced with an &#8211 in the page name in the tab.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

juggledad Jan 9, 2010 06:22 PM

I'm sorry, I kept looking at the posts titles and the looked fine, I just realized it is the PAGE title giving the issue (sigh)

What SEO options do you have set?
Do you have anything different than the defaults at ATO->Configure SEO?

TwtrCoach Jan 11, 2010 12:44 PM

Opps did not see this thread. So posted the same issue in another thread. Just delete that thread, so we can keep any fix in the same thread.

I actually have the same issue.

Seems like when I use special characters in title it converts it to HTML char. codes. Have to check if it do it for pages also.

The title shows ok in browser, and also when I checked my settings on WordPress it looks ok. But when I look at my source code, that's when I see the HTML char. codes.

And I use the default ATO Seo

Cheers.. Are

sfdiaries Jan 13, 2010 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my ATO SEO options...

juggledad Jan 14, 2010 02:02 AM

What does teh title look like if you switch to the default theme? I'm trying to determine where the problem lies, I can't recreate it and am wondering if it could be the character set used for creating the MySQL database...

Atahualpa seems to be calling a wordpress function to display the title so i want to know what you see with the default theme, just swap themes, visit the page, make not of what you see and then swap back to Atahualpa.

sfdiaries Jan 15, 2010 11:30 AM

If I switch to the default and switch back, do I lose all of the formatting, that I refined for my current design?

juggledad Jan 15, 2010 12:00 PM

Nope, all the options are stored in the database.

grego Mar 12, 2010 11:59 AM

I am having the same issue. I switched back to the WP default and the title shows the correct hyphen character (-). When I switch back to Atahualpa I see this

Code:

–
Any advice on how to get the hyphen to show properly? The odd value is also showing in the title in the Google SERPs. I have another site using Atahualpa that doesn't seem to have this problem.

??

Thanks

grego Mar 17, 2010 07:59 AM

Has anyone resolved this issue on their own blog? Or do you have any suggestions for things I could try?

Thanks

lmilesw Mar 17, 2010 10:34 AM

While in the edit screen of any of the posts or pages affected look at the Atahualpa Page Options and see what is says in the "Body Title Single Pages" and the "Body Title Multi Post Pages" fields. If for some reason you originally use the code for the title that would still be in those fields. If that is the case just make sure and write your title with the - and delete anything in the two aforementioned fields.

grego Mar 17, 2010 04:34 PM

Thank you for the idea. I tried it and those fields do not affect the document title <title>. I tried various combinations in those fields and they were all handled correctly. Then I tried some different options in the page title (this is a page) and found that the odd code only displays if you follow the hyphen with a space.

x-x is ok
x -x is ok
x - x is not ok

I found some code in function wptexturize within \wp-includes\formatting.php that looks like it is causing this issue. It replaces various combinations of hyphens with html codes. I also found some code in \atahualpa\functions.php to disable wptexturize. The code says to remove the hash to enable, but I think it means to disable. I tried it and it didn't help. But I'm pretty sure this is somehow related. I just don't know enough about WP themes to figure it out.

the functions.php code is
// disable wp texturize, remove hashes to enable
#remove_filter('the_content', 'wptexturize');
#remove_filter('the_excerpt', 'wptexturize');
#remove_filter('comment_text', 'wptexturize');
#remove_filter('the_title', 'wptexturize'); <-- I uncommented this line but it did not help

I am using Atahualpa 3.4.4 and I will download the latest version and check this code to see if it has changed.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks

lmilesw Mar 17, 2010 10:22 PM

I tried those combination in 3.4.6 and I just get a hyphen.

grego Mar 18, 2010 07:22 AM

Thank you so much for testing that. I'll upgrade to 3.4.6 this weekend.

lmilesw Mar 18, 2010 09:33 AM

Remember to follow the steps in this forum or you may lose some configuration settings.

goldstockbull Jun 9, 2010 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am having the same problem and if you search for "wordpress &#8211" on google, you get a bunch of Athualpa themed sites. So this is obviously something to do with the theme.

I am using 3.4.6 and using the built in SEO. When I changed my post title to x-x, instead of x - x, this solved the issue. But I would like to be able to have the extra space as I think it looks better. This should be an easy thing to correct, but my coding skills are subpar.

Any help>

lmilesw Jun 9, 2010 03:21 PM

I believe that issue has been taken care of in 3.5.1 or you can take a look at this thread.

goldstockbull Jul 9, 2010 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to let everyone know that the issue has NOT been resolved in 3.5.1.

I have attached a screenshot of the google search results.

As you can see, the hyphen is still showing up as "–"

On the other sites that have republished my article, the hyphen in the title is displaying correctly.

I guess I will try to edit bfa_meta_tags.php again and see if that helps.

If anyone has a confirmed fix for this issue, please post.

Thanks!

juggledad Jul 9, 2010 11:59 AM

Wel the fix did not get into 3.5.1 - I'll code up a bugfix for this for 3.5.1
The line is the same as in 3.4.6 - line 71

juggledad Jul 9, 2010 12:12 PM

see 'BUGFIX 351-05: Page Title Does Not Display Hyphens, Commas, etc.' (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...6521#post36521)