Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   RSS, Feeds & Subscribing (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   RSS Widget Prevents Home Page From Working (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3850)

OttO Oct 12, 2009 08:13 PM

RSS Widget Prevents Home Page From Working

Hello,

I've spent hours on this so now I'm posting my first plea for help.

I was trying to fix a problem in my far right sidebar over the weekend. I have solid borders between each widget but on some of the widgets, I had eliminated the borders [border-bottom: 0px] because I wanted images to be 'together' with their corresponding RSS feeds (I had four sets of images/feeds). But I noticed that instead of erasing the borders it was stacking the borders up at the bottom of the sidebar and it was also padding the widgets in a way that as you scrolled down the page, the widgets in the far right side bar were drifting further and further to the right. So I started playing with this to try and fix it.

Somewhere I developed a problem and the home page 'disappeared' (all other pages where the right side bar is of loaded just fine). If I shut off the right sidebar then the home page loaded; activating the right side bar disabled the home page again.

So I tried to undo my code changes but that didn't fix it. I updated the theme but that didn't fix it. I tore down and rebuilt the entire sidebar but that didn't fix it. And I scoured this forum but couldn't find anything to help on this. So through process of elimination I figured out that for some reason the RSS widgets (the standard RSS widgets) themselves 'seemed' to be causing the problem. First I eliminated one (which left me with three) and it worked. But by this morning it wasn't working again. So I eliminated another one and it worked. By tonight it was down again. So I eliminated another one (leaving me with just one). I removed them, put in some new ones and mixed them up but nothing seemed to work.

I'm stumped. I have 3.4.4 and am using Firefox 3.5 (but have also tried on IE - 6, I believe -).

I love the theme (I think it's the gold standard of themes, especially for those of us cutting our teeth but wanting some flexibility). I'm in a financial black hole at the moment but intend on donating something the first chance I get. Thanks for your help.

juggledad Oct 13, 2009 05:01 AM

1) download a new copy of the theme to your computer (you can get it here http://wordpress.bytesforall.com/?p=81)
2) unzip it on your computer
3) Run FTP and connect to your site, navagating to the themes folder
4) download teh current Atahualpa folder if you want to save any code changes you did
5) upload the new copy replacing the old copy

You should now be back to the start witht ehcode. - this will not change any option settings you made INCLUDING any changes to Above/Below and 'THE LOOP' in 'Style & edit CENTER COLUMN'

OttO Oct 13, 2009 11:28 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your instructions but it doesn't seem to have had any impact. I tried adding another RSS widget to the right sidebar and the home page went away.

I see another new and interesting issue - a post shows up on the home page but when you click on it, the page does not display any part of the post from the title to the tags. All that is on the screen is "Reply Here" and a comment box.

juggledad Oct 14, 2009 05:19 AM

switch to the default theme and see if you can see your post. If you can't, you may have a database issue. You do have a backup...right?

OttO Oct 14, 2009 06:02 AM

Umm...yeah? :)

Now it looks like it's a certain category of post that is doing this so I'll keep trying to narrow it down and come back if I come up with something new. I appreciate your assistance.

OttO Oct 14, 2009 02:39 PM

Hi, I tried a couple of different themes and the posts display as expected there but when I switch back to this one, I get the same problem I had.

OttO Oct 14, 2009 05:47 PM

Update - now as of tonight I had to remove the final RSS widget from my right hand sidebar though it was working fine earlier today even after I swapped themes around.

juggledad Oct 14, 2009 07:07 PM

have you made any changes to ATO->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN->The LOOP? or to any of the items on that page?

OttO Oct 14, 2009 07:31 PM

Here is what is in the Loop (see below), I think the first lines were revised recently (trying to jar my memory on this) according to some instructions I read on this forum, but other than that it should be intact.

FYI: My set up is to have all articles posted to the center column EXCEPT for one category which gets posted to a widget in the Inner Right sidebar. It's that category that is having the problem. The widget displays the title and excerpt as it should but clicking on the link takes you to the post's page with no post (or headline) displayed.

In The Loop:

<?php if ( !in_category('the-outside-straight') ) { ?>
<?php /* Post Container starts here */
if ( function_exists('post_class') ) { ?>
<div <?php if ( is_page() ) { post_class('post'); } else { post_class("$odd_or_even"); } ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } else { ?>
<div class="<?php echo ( is_page() ? 'page ' : '' ) . $odd_or_even . ' post" id="post-'; the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } ?>

<?php bfa_post_kicker('<div class="post-kicker">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_headline('<div class="post-headline">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_byline('<div class="post-byline">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_bodycopy('<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_pagination('<p class="post-pagination"><strong>'.__('Pages:','atahualpa').'</strong>','</p>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_footer('<div class="post-footer">','</div>'); ?>

</div><!-- / Post -->

<?php } ?>

juggledad Oct 14, 2009 07:40 PM

well of course. When you click a link to a post, yuoou still run thru 'The LOOP' so it will never display anything.

You need to change the if logic. Try this, replace the first line with
HTML Code:

<?php if ( !in_category('the-outside-straight') AND (!is_single() ) { ?>

OttO Oct 14, 2009 08:10 PM

I tried this, it didn't do it but now I'm not getting any posts showing up on the home page either. Here's what I have now just to make sure I followed your instructions correctly:

<?php if ( !in_category('the-outside-straight') AND (!is_single() ) { ?>
<?php /* Post Container starts here */
if ( function_exists('post_class') ) { ?>
<div <?php if ( is_page() ) { post_class('post'); } else { post_class("$odd_or_even"); } ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } else { ?>
<div class="<?php echo ( is_page() ? 'page ' : '' ) . $odd_or_even . ' post" id="post-'; the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } ?>

<?php bfa_post_kicker('<div class="post-kicker">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_headline('<div class="post-headline">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_byline('<div class="post-byline">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_bodycopy('<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_pagination('<p class="post-pagination"><strong>'.__('Pages:','atahualpa').'</strong>','</p>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_footer('<div class="post-footer">','</div>'); ?>

</div><!-- / Post -->

<?php } ?>

OttO Oct 14, 2009 08:25 PM

I also removed all of it and reverted back to the default code and then the home page was completely blank...

OttO Oct 14, 2009 08:48 PM

Update: I reset the "Style & Edit CENTER COLUMN" settings (hit the big Reset button). Now my posts show up on their single post pages but the home page is completely gone (blank, white).

I get an inch one way and lose a foot the other way. :confused:

juggledad Oct 15, 2009 08:56 AM

Arugh, I always mess up negative logic. You could try this
HTML Code:

<?php if ( (!in_category('the-outside-straight')) OR (in_category('the-outside-straight') AND !is_front_page()) ) { ?>
which should be saying
- process the loop if
the post IS NOT in the 'the-outside-straight' category
OR post IS in the 'the-outside-straight' category AND you are not on the front page

what's the URL

OttO Oct 15, 2009 09:54 AM

Woo hoo!

Everything in this regard seems back to normal, all posts are showing up again.

Thank you!!

Now I still need to figure out why it seems that the RSS widgets in my far right sidebar are causing me problems. I just added one and it works. I added a second one and now my home page disappeared again. I removed it and the home page is back.

(I do plan to donate a few bucks tonight or tomorrow, this help is invaluable)

OttO Oct 15, 2009 10:11 AM

Okay, I'm presenting this here too in case it's tied to these other issues.

On my home page, the most recent post is showing up as a full post and all of the others are showing up as excerpt posts, even though I have the options set to "Show excerpts" on HOME page and then the "Show the first X posts on HOME page as full posts?" set to "6". This remains the same no matter what number I put in. AND if I change the home page option to "Full Posts" then my home page is completely disabled again!

Do you think this is all intertwined somehow?

http://theinsidestraight.intertripmedia.com

OttO Oct 15, 2009 04:56 PM

I'm almost positive that my problems have something to do with the standard RSS Widget. After pulling my hair out for a while, I forgot about another RSS Widget I had in the Inner Right sidebar. I removed that and the site is back up again. I put it back in place and the home page disappeared. Removed it again and the home page came back.

So now I have zero RSS widgets on my site. I really like to have them. Any suggestions? I went from five to zero.

OttO Oct 15, 2009 07:01 PM

Donation made! Thanks for the help and the theme!

juggledad Oct 16, 2009 05:32 AM

Hmmm, I just added two RSS widgets and it's fine are you using the standard RSS widget?

OttO Oct 16, 2009 06:05 AM

Yes, the standard that came with it.

Last night I found a couple of plug-ins that somewhat do the job and they work, but it's not the same...