Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   full posts on the front page (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18869)

slabcobot Nov 8, 2012 08:01 PM

full posts on the front page

Are all the answers in this site spoken in riddles? I followed all the way to the end of the last thread with this question and I don't find which code actually makes this work. I can do "the_content" but it jumbles up all the posts with the wrong pictures, and some still excerpts.

Just because you give someone the answer, doesn't mean they don't learn anything.

juggledad Nov 8, 2012 11:53 PM

They are not riddles, sometimes I give precise solutions, other times I try to lead people to figure their problem out. Many people are very glad I do this because they learn about the theme and how to solve their problems (read my signature) Depends how I feel, if they have donated, if they show they have done their due diligence. Since I am not paid to monitor this forum, I and the other moderator, get to choose.

Lets look at your case. It looks like you have been reading a thread, but you don't reference which one (and I look at too many to remember from hour to hour). You don't mention the URL, the release of the the template or Wordpress you are using, if you have check to see if there are any patches and if you have applied them. What information have you provided? Certainly not enough for anyone to help you without spending a lot of their time digging the information out.

(If this seems harsh, it is, but bear in mind that I have a nasty runny nose and cannot sleep and I'm grumpy and sleepy)

rosetrees Nov 9, 2012 03:58 AM

slabcobot - I don't know the answer to your question as I haven't tried. But Montezuma isn't a theme full of user friendly options like Atahualpa.

I treat it as a framework, one where you have to get down and dirty with code editing.

The first time I installed it, my brain seized and I thought "I can't do this" and went back to Atahualpa.

Then I realised that HTML5 and CSS3 are the way forward. I decided I had no option but to set about teaching myself to edit the code. I installed it on a test site and started playing. I'm still learning and I know that not all the code I'm using is good practice. But I am learning.

None of the sites I'm making with it are recognisable as Montezuma.

You need to get stuck in. My approach is to learn one step at a time. If I can't work out how to do something the first time, I leave it as is and move on. Then return to it another time.

Juggledad is trying to make people understand that this isn't a theme for users who want a friendly, push button interface, but a theme for people who understand some coding or who are willing to learn.

Treat it as I do - as simply a framework that allows you to design your own themes. Install a practice site on a sub-domain and play with it. If you crash it just remove the sub-domain and start again.

slabcobot Nov 9, 2012 10:02 AM

The thread I was referencing has the exact same name and it's on the first page.

Thanks for the words you two, but I'm not a wordpress noob. I've been doing this for years, including a lot of time with atualapa or however it's spelled. Which I didn't even realize was associated until I got the question on the form.

Anyway, you've got this new theme, with new ways of doing stuff, and a really poorly executed explanation in the theme itself. Those diagrams are hilariously confusing, and the rest equally.

So it might be of advantage to whoever got this far with it to actually go all the way, because there are a million other themes out there, I for one am using one of them as I gave up on this.

Its a nice theme, with nice features, but if simple answers about it can't be addressed, what's the point. I'm not here to master the inner-workings of however you've coded this thing, I'm just here to work.

Or in your cliche terms "if you're planning on teaching a man how to fish, at least show him how you've rigged your complicated pole"

jerryc Nov 9, 2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetrees (Post 92439)
Montezuma isn't a theme full of user friendly options like Atahualpa.

The first time I installed it, my brain seized and I thought "I can't do this" and went back to Atahualpa.

Then I realised that HTML5 and CSS3 are the way forward. I decided I had no option but to set about teaching myself to edit the code. I installed it on a test site and started playing. I'm still learning and I know that not all the code I'm using is good practice. But I am learning.

Treat it as I do - as simply a framework that allows you to design your own themes.

Here's a different perspective. As somebody who knows a little html, css, and php, I've been watching wp for years, and, until Montezuma, never found a theme (including Altahulpa) with enough easily customizeble options. Now I can finally easily migrate all my sites over to WP using Montezuma.