Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   ThemeFrame Presales (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What Is the Ongoing Theme Frame Price? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16469)

pullintoo Jan 10, 2012 11:25 AM

What Is the Ongoing Theme Frame Price?

The sticky thread said $110 for lifetime license and updates, but when I click, I come to a subscription page that says $60 lifetime license and updates for just one year. So what is the price going to be after one year?

I am really tired of committing to things that then become too expensive when they come up for renewal and don't want to do that again. What is the price after a year?

Jam Jan 10, 2012 04:21 PM

I would expect there will be an "upgrade price".
In one years time, the one year licence might be $70-$90 (depending on version of TF available then), but existing $60 owners can upgrade for $20-$40?
Just guessing, figures are just for example.
People who committed before TF1 remain lifetime lic and upgrades.

Thats what I figure might happen, sounds fair to me. Personally, I think the one year lic should be $110.

Flynn Jan 11, 2012 08:27 AM

The ThemeFrame price is $60
(+19% VAT for EU citizens)

You get

- Lifetime license: Use TF forever and create unlimited sites for yourself or clients

- 1 Year upgrades: Get access to new TF versions for 1 year.

After 1 Year is over you can keep using all the TF versions you have. To download new TF version you'd have to buy another year, for $60, which gives you access to download new TF versions for another year.

You can pause in between or never buy another year again, depends on your needs and whether you're happy with TF or not.

If you compare this to other WP related products with lifetime license/ lifetime upgrades, consider this:

You typically have no guarantee that there won't be a "2.0", "3.0" etc. version which will require another payment. In fact I just read on a competitor's forum where users complain that they have to pay for "2.0" although they paid in the range of $200-300 for a "lifetime use/upgrade" license.

Also, you have no guarantee how long the product will be actively developed. Lifetime could mean 2 years or 20 years.

With TF's yearly option you get to decide each year whether it is worth to get another year instead of having to commit to a $XXX upfront payment. Will you have paid $300 after 5 years (if you keep renewing after each year)? Yes, but that also means that you decided 4 times that it was worth to renew. You don't get to decide this with a huge upfront payment.

So, calculations along the lines of:

TF 5 years = $300
XY 5 years = $200

May not work out as expected. With TF you can pause or stop, you only pay as long as you're (1) satisfied and (2) productive with TF.

Neither TF nor XY may evolve as you expected or wished, but with XY the money is gone whereas with TF you stop paying. TF has to prove its worth each year.

I consider $60 to be a very fair price considering the amount of changes happening in all the related fields: New WP versions a few times a year, new browser versions, CSS & HTML changes...

Punc00 Jan 12, 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam (Post 78665)
People who committed before TF1 remain lifetime lic and upgrades.

Is this really true, Flynn? I am quite confused, when reading the official statements and looking into my User CP, where I have got: "- free upgrades for 1 year" and "- read/write access to the ThemeFrame Members forum for 1 year"...
Thanks!

Dave Pitman Jan 12, 2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punc00 (Post 78722)
Is this really true..

Check for yourself in your uesr CP

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1868808/tf/cp.jpg

Punc00 Jan 12, 2012 01:21 PM

Oh, I see, many thanks for clarification, Dave! Itīs OK, I am the lucky one! :)

exgenis Feb 21, 2012 12:45 AM

Hi! Just need a clarification... I went into User CP to check my TF subscription and here's what I see-

Start date Dec 31, 2009
Expiry date Jan 1, 1970

1970? I committed way before TF1 so I'm guessing I get lifetime ugrades too but 1970 confuses me... :)

Punc00 Feb 21, 2012 01:04 AM

You are not alone, I remember that lmilesw confessed somewhere in this forum, that he has also "lifetime upgrade" till 1970... :) - he called it "another dimension"... :) Well, be happy guys, you have TF not only till 2038 as me... it is really somewhere beyond...
But seriously, I think lifetime license could be indicated more clearly... :)

lmilesw Feb 21, 2012 07:23 AM

It has to do with the internal workings of the forum software. You can't configure a lifetime subscription and I believe the lifetimes were eventually set to expire on Jan 2, 2038 so the old dates wouldn't show like on mine and others. @exgenis... I just changed yours to expire on Jan 2, 2038 to match the vast majority of Themeframe subscribers who have lifetime subscriptions.