Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lost settings (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1778)

jim May 25, 2009 06:21 AM

Lost settings

I just updated to 333 and have a problem with a couple of settings.
My main problem is that i dont remember how i did things in the first place........
Specificaly i had removed the footer from my opening page in 331 and in 333 there it is and i cant remember how i got rid of it in the first place.
Also i had stopped the page title from appearing at the top of the pages and now its back and i cant remem............
So obviously i should write things down..
Is there some kind of simple proceedure to follow when updating themes in order not to lose these changes so i could go back and do it again more correctly.....?
Or else
1...How do i get rid of the footer from the opening page [its not responding to ''the footer in homepages' box in the theme options] ?
2...How do i stop the page title showing up?.....jim

juggledad May 25, 2009 12:58 PM

Did you make coding changes??
If you installed atahualpa to a new folder in wp-contents/themes, and still have the folder with the previous version, you should be able look and see what files you changed. If you never made coding changes, then the options set for the prior release should still work, unless they were something entirely new or superseded

jim May 26, 2009 11:50 AM

I am in a muddle......
I have been trying to build this thing for a couple of months now and due to the fact of having to put so much focus elsewhere there has not been enough consistensy in the work and therefore in the learning. But for the fact of a fractured thumb i would not be sitting with it now. However i am very pleased with the architecture of what i ve got, pleased also with the new medium of imagery that its put me into and am ready to input my content. Now with this update i am stuck again when i thought i was ready to roll.
Various of our volunteers, the young ones with the intuitive cyber sense, have helped me out when ive been struggling and there are certain things that i do not know how we did them.
One is the page title not appearing automaticaly....I think that is not so complicated but it continues to elude me.
The other is making the footer disapear completely on the opening page but not on the other pages. Come to think of it i am not sure thats quite in order as there are the links to do with BFA etc....The thing is ive got a large headshot of fred our dog in the footer and it intereferes with the opening page and in 331 it is completely absent wheras in 333.....i cannot figure it out.
If you could kindly be of some assistance?
http://tothegarden.org/wp/

Flynn May 26, 2009 09:07 PM

1. To remove the footer on specific pages, i.e. the front page, change Theme Options -> Footer -> Footer content to

PHP Code:

<?php if ( !is_front_page() ) { ?>Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved<?php ?>

To remove it on the front page plus other a specific other page

PHP Code:

<?php if ( !is_front_page() AND !is_page('Page Title') ) { ?>Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved<?php ?>

To remove it on the front page plus other several other pages
PHP Code:

<?php if ( !is_front_page() AND !is_page(array('Page Title','Other Page Title','Another Page Title')) ) { ?>Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved<?php ?>

I also sent you a Private Message with info on how to remove the BFA credit links.

2. In your version 3.3.1 edit index.php and change

PHP Code:

<?php // Post Kicker

to

PHP Code:

<?php if ( !is_page() ) { ?>
        <?php // Post Kicker

and change

PHP Code:

<!-- Post Body Copy --> 

to
PHP Code:

<?php ?>
        <!-- Post Body Copy -->

jim May 27, 2009 04:11 AM

Hi Flynn
I carefully followed your editing instructions and logicaly there was no change in 331 as i already had the conditions i wanted, but when i changed over to 333 the footer showed up on the front page and the page titles still show on every page.
I checked the theme options and the insert in footer content passed over, but index php is quite different in 333 so i could not tell anything there.
I am running 333 now.....http://tothegarden.org/wp/

Flynn May 27, 2009 07:19 AM

In 3.3.3, change in index.php

PHP Code:

<?php bfa_post_kicker(); // Post Kicker: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php bfa_post_headline(); // Post Headline: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php bfa_post_byline(); // Post Byline: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

to

PHP Code:

<?php if ( !is_page() ) { ?>
            <?php bfa_post_kicker(); // Post Kicker: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php bfa_post_headline(); // Post Headline: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php bfa_post_byline(); // Post Byline: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>
<?php 
?>

to remove the page titles.

The changes to the footer should work in 3.3.3 the same way as in 3.3.1. What code did you put into Theme Options -> Footer -> Footer: Content?

jim May 27, 2009 08:33 AM

Bingo....the titles have gone...Thats one problem solved.
This is what i have in Theme Options -> Footer -> Footer: Content.....
<?php if ( !is_front_page() ) { ?>Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved<?php } ?>
However when i put it into 331 it is not that it took away the footer from the front page because the footer was already gone......
Whatever i had done that had taken it off the front page in 331 did not carry over to 333 and this code, assuming that ive got it right has not worked.
In the footer style box i have....
background: #e6e191;

padding: 125px;
text-align: center;
background: url('http://tothegarden.org/wp/wp-content/gallery/footer/Fred.gif') bottom center no-repeat;
color: #777777;
font-size: 95%;

juggledad May 27, 2009 01:34 PM

Jim,
I'm confused, when I look at your blog, I don't see the copyright on the front page, I see the
'WordPress · BFA Wordpress Theme · Professional Wordpress Theme' links and Fred the dog.

When I go to other pages I see the copyright stuff and then the wordpress links and Fred

What is it suppose to look like?

jim May 28, 2009 12:07 AM

O.K
If i run 331... i get no copyright line, no credits line, no fred, no footer at all showing on the front page. All the other pages have full footer content plus fred.

When i run 333....it is as you see with the front page showing footer with fred and credits but missing the copyright line wheras all the other pages show full footer content.

Flynn notified me that as a donor he had no problem with me writing out his credits and showed me how to do it....However i have not yet touched that.

I have implemented the code flyn gave me to write out the footer in the front page but it is still there.

I would suggest that whatever meddling i used to succesfully write out the footer in 331 is disturbing the smooth running of 333 [a case of naughty jimmy....an example of what not to do
when there are patient and knowledgable people willing to help]

Right now i am running 333

juggledad May 28, 2009 05:44 AM

I must be slow this morning, but I think I know what you are looking for, so let me set some terminology. There are three things in your footer:
1) the footer image (Fred)
2) the copyright line and
3) Flynn's credits

The code in Theme Options -> Footer -> Footer: Content.....
<?php if ( !is_front_page() ) { ?>Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved<?php } ?>

does it's job correctly, the credits are gone on the front page, but there everywhere else.

Flynn gave you some code to remove the 'Flynn's Credit' line, but that is not happening and you want the footer image to not show on the front page, but show on the other pages.

Is this a correct statement of the current issue?

jim May 28, 2009 06:50 AM

Good day Massachusetts
Yes thats quite clear except that i had not yet deleted the code for Flynns credits as i was not so concerned about them showing up.
Now i have done that and they are gone.
So all i have left in the footer on the front page is fred.
I would like fred to stay put in the rest of the pages.
But be gone from the front page.

Flynn May 28, 2009 07:33 AM

O.k. I thought you just want to remove the (text) content inside the footer, not the whole footer including background image. You should be able to do this with a CSS insert
HTML Code:

body#body-page-150 td#footer {
display: none;
}

jim May 28, 2009 08:18 AM

Many thanks and im sorry i could not have made myself clearer before.
I must say i am impressed with just how accomodating this set up is towards an inexperienced user
such as myself coming on with the audacity to customise as heavily as i am and get away with it for a measly donation of twenty dollars. Thats some kind of otherworldly deal....
Thanks Jugglehead and thanks Flynn