Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Indent first line of paragraphs in posts? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1127)

RStouff Apr 6, 2009 06:03 PM

Indent first line of paragraphs in posts?

I'm working on a magazine-style layout with Atahualpa, and wondering if this is possible?
Thanks, great theme.
RS

Flynn Apr 6, 2009 06:45 PM

It's possible to make it a "magazine theme" but that requires a good deal of theme file edits or plugins. Not sure if you just meant what you have in the thread title or a magazine style with all bells and whistles such as thumbnails on the homepage etc...

RStouff Apr 6, 2009 07:04 PM

Naw, it's not so sophisticated as all that. I just want to indent paragraphs in posts, which are in fact the articles of the ezine, to make it look more like typography.
Thanks!

Flynn Apr 6, 2009 07:07 PM

Try HTML/CSS Inserts -> CSS Inserts

HTML Code:

div.post p {
text-indent: 20px;
}

RStouff Apr 6, 2009 07:16 PM

Hmm, didn't apply to existing trial posts...should I try a new one?

Flynn Apr 6, 2009 07:43 PM

In which browser did it not work?

Do you have a cache running?
Do your posts not contain <p>...</p> paragraphs?

RStouff Apr 7, 2009 07:11 AM

It was in Firefox and IE.
Running it on a local host, so unfortunately it can't be seen. :(
Thanks for trying, though!
R

Flynn Apr 8, 2009 04:17 AM

It's working for me though

RStouff Apr 8, 2009 05:31 PM

Flynn,
It worked! Not sure why it didn't last night, but I deleted and re-inserted today and it's fine.
Thanks!
R

AJHackett Mar 27, 2011 12:47 AM

This code worked perfectly. I'm just starting out. I went to W3Schools and figured out most of the code, but your post was wonderful.

My issue is that, at times the indent is not appropriate. How does one undo the global code for particular lines or situations? Example: the indent is asserting itself in my blog at the complimentory close and the signature. I have contact info below the signature which is not indented and it looks wierd. Please see www.CoachMitch.com

The below code did not work when I inserted it prior to my signature?
}
div.post p {
text-indent: 0px;
}

Thanks very much

juggledad Mar 27, 2011 02:37 PM

If you want to get rid of it for a particular post, you will have to make the CSS selector more selective. Each post has a class of the post ID, so you could use that

AJHackett Mar 28, 2011 08:44 PM

@juggledad
Thanks for the response. Using the post ID is a good idea but, as I perceive it currently, that would undo all indents for the entire post. On a similar idea, would it work if I put in a div plus some other code to stop the indent by my signature or other places where I do not want the indent?

Thanks

AJHackett Mar 28, 2011 08:47 PM

@juggledad
Continuing:
Is there some code that overrides a CSS global command?

Thanks

juggledad Mar 29, 2011 04:36 AM

if you look at the source of the page, you will see that the signature looks like this
HTML Code:

<div class="post-byline"><strong>Mitchell Goldstein</strong> <strong>March 12th, 2011</strong><image(Mitch_head_shots_byline.gif) />
so you can tie the CSS to the 'post-byline' class

AJHackett Mar 30, 2011 02:02 PM

@juggledad
<div class="post-byline"> is a good work around. It does serve to left justify or ignore a global indent.