Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Style problems after changing permalink structure. (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16629)

mjblanc Jan 28, 2012 08:27 PM

Style problems after changing permalink structure.

Thank you in advance for any help. I just donated since I've already gotten a ton of great information here.

My blog is at texasconsumerhelp.com. I'm running Atahualpa 3.7.3 and Wordpress 3.3.1.

Everything was running fine until I decided to change my permalink structure to custom. When I originally changed it to simply %postname%, I got a 404 error for one post ("Welcome") but not the other. I then changed it to archive/%postname% and at least the links work (no 404 errors).

However, whenever a permalink is clicked, the destination page does not render as it does on the front page. That is, the title font and menu bar font do not work like they do on the front page. Also, the permalink pages take longer to load, I imagine because there is something broken and the browser is moving on to other fonts, etc.

I am not an expert by any means, and, again, I appreciate the help from those who are.

Mike

mjblanc Jan 28, 2012 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached please find an export of my settings.

lmilesw Jan 28, 2012 09:01 PM

Not quite sure what is going on here but in a quick inspection I see you are using some non websafe fonts such as novecentowidebook. How are you rendering those fonts? Are you using a font library?

Unless someone has those fonts on there machines it will not render. I suspect that may be why some pages are loading slower as well. You have many fonts listed for font-family.

mjblanc Jan 28, 2012 09:14 PM

Thank you for the quick response.

I am using a font library, and I have the fonts stored on the server. I was playing with a bunch of different fonts and need to take out the superfluous ones.

I ran Firebug to see what's going on and I think I see the problem. I have no idea how to fix it though.

With custom permalinks, the browser looks for the fonts at /archive/post-name/wp-content/... and doesn't find them.

With default permalinks, the browser finds the fonts at /wp-content/...

This still doesn't explain why trying to set the permalink at %post% only results in a 404 error, but that's probably a whole different thread.

Thank you again.

lmilesw Jan 28, 2012 09:39 PM

One thing I notice that will cause different styles is you have a font family set for Post Pages when they are not links but no font family in the box for when the title is a link.

mjblanc Jan 29, 2012 01:55 AM

While I still feel like I need to understand what the link issues were, I decided not to use @font-face anymore and use Google Web Fonts so I can keep my custom permalinks working. Without the server having to grab the fonts, the pages are rendering fine. I'd still appreciate feedback about what might have been going on.

Thanks again,
Mike

juggledad Jan 29, 2012 05:12 AM

the only way to know what was going on would be to know how you were accessing the fonts ie were you using a plugin?

p.s. the fact that the menu item is labeled 'blog' but the 'you are here:' says '/Home' is a little confusing, they really should agree IMHO

mjblanc Jan 29, 2012 11:39 AM

You're right about the breadcrumbs -- I made the change.

I wasn't using any plugin for the fonts -- I just downloaded the kits from FontSquirell, put them in a directory and defined each font using @font-face in CSS inserts. It worked like a charm when using default permalinks, but after changing to custom permalinks no browser I tried could find the fonts on my server.

Thanks again.

Sprutt Sep 4, 2012 07:22 AM

It might be too late for you but I'll post a solution if anyone else runs in to the same problem, like I just did.

In the @font-face CSS try putting an "../" or maybe in some cases several "../../" in front of the path to the font files. That is if you're using relative paths. One "../" did it for me.