Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   [SOLVED] How can I remove the "private" prefix from private pages? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=10628)

jstein Oct 24, 2010 12:45 PM

[SOLVED] How can I remove the "private" prefix from private pages?

I have marked them private so that they don't show up in the menu and simply use links within the text on my site. But when I navigate to the page using those links, the page title has a prefix that reads "Private". Can I remove this? Or is there another way to create a page that doesn't show up in the menu bar and doesn't have this prefix added to it?

Thanks for your suggestions!

jstein Oct 24, 2010 04:10 PM

I guess that was pretty blunt, yep. I have been searching the internet for ways to do this without success so far. I've actually tried both of the links you suggested. Tried them without success. Likely because I'm pretty new at all this an really need some hand holding some times because I am light years from being a techie with all this stuff, maybe like you...

So let me ask a specific question, because I have already tried creating a php file and putting the cade in the file without success. Is there anything more specific that you can offer that those two write ups don't?

Feel free to be blunt. :)

jstein Oct 29, 2010 06:44 PM

Well, all that was great info and I tried it, but lo... The 'private' prefix is still showing. :( I even put the <?php and ?> at the beginning and end of the whole string of code.
I created a .php file in the theme>function directory and pasted the exact code you sent me into it.

Any other thoughts about something I may have overlooked?

lmilesw Oct 29, 2010 07:54 PM

Atahualpa is built to not have to edit core theme files directly and I would recommend against it as you will have to edit the same files again should you upgrade the theme. What you want to do is handled pretty easily in the menu section of the theme options. You just put the ID of the page you don't want to show in the appropriate box. Instructions for determining the ID are also on that same page.

jstein Oct 29, 2010 08:07 PM

Are you referrin gto 'new menu 1' and 'new menu 2' in the 'Header' section of ATO? And if so, specifically which options should I be tweaking?

Thanks again Larry!

lmilesw Oct 29, 2010 08:15 PM

Yes. See this screenshot for details.

If you use the new WordPress menu system under Appearance>Menus you can just build the menu as you wish with only the pages you want to show.

jstein Nov 1, 2010 07:44 AM

HI Larry,
What I'm actually trying to do though is to just get rid of the prefix that reads, "Private". I Did what you suggested about creating a test menu item in the Appearance section but it made my whole menu disappear so I nixed that one. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I didn't get it yet.

As for the 'private' prefix though, any simple fix?

lmilesw Nov 1, 2010 08:50 AM

If you set it to private only logged in users can see it. Is that your intention?

jstein Nov 1, 2010 04:51 PM

Actually no. I want everybody to be able to see it. And I don't have a log in option. It's just a basic web site that anybody can see. Am I the only one that can see those private pages because I'm the admin and my computer recognizes me? Won't everybody be able to see those pages...the ones that have the "private" prefix?

I wonder if creating all new menu's with the 'men' option is the route I need to take. Your thoughts?

jstein Nov 1, 2010 08:07 PM

This is probably why my post has been confusing. I actually do want people to be able to see these pages. I just don't want them to show up in the menu. That's what I thought 'private' meant.

How do I make them viewable to the public, but not show up in the menu bar?

lmilesw Nov 1, 2010 10:47 PM

As previously mentioned you can build a menu using the WordPress menu system or you could also use the Exclude Pages plugin which gives you a checkbox on each page you can uncheck if you don't want it to show up in the menu.

jstein Nov 2, 2010 02:21 PM

I downloaded and installed the plugin you mentioned and IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING NOW! Thanks again!