Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   [SOLVED] Display full post instead of excerpt -need a little more help (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=19237)

RobinDenning Jan 2, 2013 01:21 PM

[SOLVED] Display full post instead of excerpt -need a little more help

2 Attachment(s)
As was discussed in a few previous threads, the post excerpt is controlled by
<?php bfa_excerpt(); ?>
[Default. Same as <?php bfa_excerpt( 55, ' ...' ); ?>]

and I changed that in my postformat.php Sub Template to:
<?php get_content(); ?>

Unfortunately, it does not completely solve the problem. I am working on a localhost before introducing changes to my my live site at http://alittlesewing.com.

edited to add: it looks like there is a limit to how many images I can upload.
The next step I took was to remove this line from postformat.php:
<?php bfa_thumb( 620, 180, true, '<div class="thumb-shadow"><div class="post-thumb">', '</div></div>' ); ?>

and that removed the thumbnail from displaying.
At that point the blog is displaying the correct date with the title of the post, but no content is shown.

I have looked all through the information in the Montezuma Options, including the Limited PHP code.
Unless you have a specific recommendation, it seems my next step is to learn how to create a child page? What am I missing.
Thanks so much for guidance.

juggledad Jan 2, 2013 03:12 PM

for the moment use
HTML Code:

<?php bfa_excerpt( 99999, '' ); ?>
I'm looking into the issue with the_content()

juggledad Jan 2, 2013 03:46 PM

never mind, that will strip all html from the posts...

juggledad Jan 4, 2013 07:07 AM

I have a possible fix. I haven't tested it in all conditions but if you would like to try it
edit 'montezuma/includes/parse_php.php' and change line 35 from
HTML Code:

if (have_posts())
to
HTML Code:

if (is_single() AND have_posts())
and give it a shot. - let me know if you find any issues.

RobinDenning Jan 4, 2013 10:35 AM

Juggledad, I changed the HTML on line 35 of the parse_php.php file.

But now I have a different problem - when I use Text Wrangler to save it, it saves as a text file, not a PHP file. I am new to Text Wrangler, but can't find option to allow me to save as a PHP file.

At this point, it has crashed the site. I guess I need a different editing program so I can save a PHP file.
I'll let you know what happens when I get that part straightened out.

jerryc Jan 4, 2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinDenning (Post 94532)
Juggledad, I changed the HTML on line 35 of the parse_php.php file.

But now I have a different problem - when I use Text Wrangler to save it, it saves as a text file, not a PHP file. I am new to Text Wrangler, but can't find option to allow me to save as a PHP file.

At this point, it has crashed the site. I guess I need a different editing program so I can save a PHP file.
I'll let you know what happens when I get that part straightened out.

I've run into this with other programs. Even the attachments on this blog won't let you upload a php file. Just save it as a .txt, then find a way to rename it, like through file manager or something. I use the WP-Filemanager plugin, which works from the dashboard. I hope this helps.

juggledad Jan 4, 2013 12:43 PM

you can ues the dashboard->apearances->editor to edit the file on the server.

textwrangler saves php files as test, it just gives them the extension of .php
On the MAC I juse 'FETCH as my FTP program and edit the file that way with no problem. It could have something to do with your server...

can you get into the back end?

RobinDenning Jan 4, 2013 07:35 PM

I got my localhost sorted out and got my site back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 94537)
you can ues the dashboard->apearances->editor to edit the file on the server.

Ah, well that was much easier! Once I had everything back in place, I edited the parse_php.php file, but the site looks the same - the posts are still excerpts.

thanks for the extra info, though, about text wrangler and fetch.

What do you think - can this be resolved or might it become a Request For Enhancement? I love the overall style of Montezuma. If I can't display complete posts, I need to provide better navigation for users at the bottom of the comment page. They don't like getting to the end of the comments and being "stranded" there with only the previous post or next post to click on. They want to click and return to the main page. What can I say, my readers don't like all the extra clicking!

juggledad Jan 4, 2013 07:54 PM

Well did you go into postformat.php in the virtual templates and change the 'bfa_excerpt(..)' to 'the_content()'?

RobinDenning Jan 4, 2013 08:21 PM

YES! It seems to have worked.I actually did that earlier, took a look and didn't see a change.
Duh, I forgot to refresh the page.

I just now did that and refreshed the page and I am getting the full post! Thank you!!

RobinDenning Jan 5, 2013 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Juggledad,

My website (http://alittlesewing.com) is now up to date with the changes and I am getting complete posts with correct content, thank you!

There is one small issue I'd like to resolve - the text doesn't align perfectly with the date. I looked through CSS files, but can't figure out where it should change. Any ideas?

thanks so much!!

lmilesw Jan 5, 2013 01:28 PM

Not sure why it is like that but the following might fix it.
HTML Code:

.post-bodycopy p {
    margin-top: 0px;
}

RobinDenning Jan 5, 2013 04:34 PM

Larry, that did the trick! Thanks so much!