Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] Google Crawl Error (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12990)

damian Feb 25, 2011 12:33 PM

[SOLVED] Google Crawl Error
 
I just enabled Google's Webmaster Tools and received a "404 (Not Found)" crawl error, and I would appreciate some help fixing the error.

The URL that is creating the error is http://www.mydomain.com/posts/%post_name/

When I click on that URL, I reach a page whose body reads, "Not Found. Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here."

The "Links From Detected" are:

http://mydomain.com/posts/category/uncategorized/
http://www.mydomain.com/posts/category/uncategorized/
http://www.mydomain.com/sitemap.xml.gz

When I click on the first two of these URLs, I reach a page whose body reads, "Not Found. Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here."

I have no posts on my site—just static pages—so I suspect that this may be contributing to the problem.

One thing that confuses me is this: when I look at my sitemap at http://www.mydomain.com/sitemap.xml, http://www.mydomain.com/posts/%post_name/ is not listed—only the static pages are listed, so I don't understand why Google is detecting a link from http://www.mydomain.com/sitemap.xml.gz to http://www.mydomain.com/posts/%post_name/.

I just updated to WordPress 3.1 and Atahualpa 3.6.4, but the error existed prior to the update.

I am also using the following potentially relevant plugins: Google XML Sitemaps and All in One SEO Pack. I don't know whether the settings on either of these plugins might be creating the problem or be able to solve the problem, but I thought I'd mention them just in case.

Please help. Thanks!

runnerb0y Feb 25, 2011 02:32 PM

My first guess is that your Pretty Permalinks are a bit messed up. Can you go to your Admin --> Settings --> Permalinks

In there I have set a "Custom Structure" to be: /%category%/%postname%/

Try selecting the default (or one other than what's currently selected). Save that. Then put it back to the way it was (assuming there's nothing to weird in there in the first place). Save those settings and see what you get.

I don't use either of those plug-ins, but they could be the problem.

damian Feb 25, 2011 02:45 PM

Thanks. You're probably right that that was the problem.

I had the following custom structure set for permalinks:

/posts/%post_name/

I tried creating a test post, and the post wouldn't publish.

I replaced "%post_name" with "%postname%" and now it works.

Hopefully, this will solve my google woes.

Thanks again!

runnerb0y Feb 25, 2011 04:08 PM

Glad it was fairly easy to get it all fixed up!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.