Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   [SOLVED] header.php altered to call js - works well EXCEPT on post (site.com/archive/ (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=10674)

arthurmild Oct 25, 2010 02:42 PM

[SOLVED] header.php altered to call js - works well EXCEPT on post (site.com/archive/

Hello,

I was very pleased with myself after altering header.php to allow me to display a div containing rotating text above the main header elements:

happy example here

However, this does not display properly on 'pages' containg posts - basically anything in the mysite.com/archives directory

unhappy example here

- I presume (well Ok am guessing) that there is a conflict which is not allowing the js to do its thing.

- Or is there something about header.php which makes it behave differmtly on 'posts' (/archive/) pages ?

- Or am I missing something very obvious here ?

I hope someone can help or at leats give me a nudge in the right direction.

I have had a good look around here and the WP codex, but can't quite figure this one out this time.

:confused:

Extract from altered header.php follows

Code:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="wp-content/themes/atahualpa/newsticker.css" type="text/css" />
          <script type="text/javascript" src="wp-content/themes/atahualpa/js/prototype.js"></script>
          <script type="text/javascript" src="wp-content/themes/atahualpa/js/effects.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="wp-content/themes/atahualpa/js/newsticker.js"></script>

</head>
<body <?php body_class(); ?><?php if ($bfa_ata['html_inserts_body_tag'] != "") { echo ' '; bfa_html_inserts($bfa_ata['html_inserts_body_tag']); } ?>>
<?php bfa_html_inserts($bfa_ata['html_inserts_body_top']); ?>
<div id="wrapper">
<div id="container">

<div id="newsticker">
                <ul>
                    <li>10 000 copies monthly</li>
                    <li>Glossy Lifestyle Magazine</li>
                    <li>Distributed to “A” Income areas</li>
                    <li>Established since 2006</li>
                  <li>Read Cover-To-Cover</li>
                <li>Long Shelf Life and Ongoing Exposure for Advertisers</li>
                <li>Generating top quality leads</li>
                <li>Professional, targeted distribution with ZERO wastage</li>
                </ul>
            </div>

<table id="layout" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

lmilesw Oct 25, 2010 08:29 PM

I am not sure what is going on but I can tell you that Atahualpa is designed with the idea of never editing the theme files directly. Sometimes for bug fixes and the like I might need to edit the theme files but for purposes like your I would probably look at putting the div in ATO>Style & edit Header Area and put it in the Configure Header Area box. The javascript might go in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts>HTML Inserts: Header but I have not experimented so this is just a guess but it might giive you a "nudge in the right direction".

What I would do for this funcitonality is search for a plugin.

arthurmild Oct 26, 2010 10:10 AM

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the nudge.

The problem was (is) that the rotatating text div was not working on pages in sub-directories of wp-content, because the js files and css file were being referenced relatively.

I changed to absolute references and all is now well

e.g. of absolute reference:

Code:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://bay2.thinkingspaceweb.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/js/newsticker.js"></script>

I took your advice about not messing with header.php (or other theme files) directly - The ATO functionality is fantastic in this respect.

I can see I am going to fall deeply in love with this theme.

Donation on its way - I'm sure to be back !