Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ken Burns effect for rotating banner with NextGen (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7090)

lmilesw May 12, 2010 07:41 PM

Ken Burns effect for rotating banner with NextGen

I just wanted to post this in case anyone cared. You can see an example here.
  • Installed NextGen Gallery plugin
  • Installed NextGen Monoslideshow plugin
  • Installed Shortcode for Sidebar plugin
  • Added new widget area in place of %image in "Configure Header Area"
  • Added a gallery of banner images to NextGen
  • Added .monoslideshow {overflow:hidden;} to CSS Inserts - This keeps banner images constrained
  • Configured Monoslideshow as desired.
  • Added gallery shortcode to new widget area

paulae May 13, 2010 07:21 AM

Larry, thanks for the tips. Sounds complicated, but with your guidance, should be pretty easy.

I can't decide whether I think the pan-and-zoom effect is a good idea or not, though. It can make me a little seasick, but I do like the way it looks. Maybe my techie side likes it but my inner ear doesn't?

2 questions: How did you achieve the slide-down bar at the top? And what do you use the Page Blocks plugin to accomplish?

lmilesw May 13, 2010 07:48 AM

I know what you mean about the movement. It was a little over the top for me as well but I wanted to see how it would work. I just went back to the simple fade. The slide down bar is part of the Apture plugin. Page blocks were installed when I started building the site but I haven't implemented them as yet. I may use them on some members entries from time to time.

paulae May 13, 2010 07:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I like the Apture thing either; I tend to hate any intrusive stuff appearing out of nowhere on a page, but it's pretty mild compared to some. I'm going to investigate further.

lmilesw May 13, 2010 09:17 AM

I think we are on the same page. I installed the Apture plugin because of it's other uses, my client saw the drop down thingy and liked it so I left it there. I too am not sure about it's usefulness however. I think most will blow past it.

Elms123 May 15, 2010 04:29 PM

Have you tried looking at the page in 64bit IE8? I'm afraid to say that the rotating banner doesn't work.

In place of the header the words "The Flash Player and a browser with Javascript support are needed". When you click on the link it takes you to Adobe's page that explains that Flash does not work on 64 bit IE8.

I don't use 64bit IE8, prefering Firefox, but most of the visitors to my site are using IE8 and I could not risk them seeing a blank header.

We really need something that works on all operating systems.

By the way have you taken the Ken Burns effect off? When I looked at the website the photos were revolving but there was no pan or zoom effects.

John

lmilesw May 15, 2010 08:34 PM

Yes I did take the Ken Burns effect off and I just now switched the plugin I was using to another method of providing rotating banners. Could you take a look to see if that one works in IE8 64bit?

Thanks

Elms123 May 16, 2010 12:27 PM

Well done, that is now working in 64bit IE8, and 32bit IE8, and Chrome, and Safari, and of course Firefox!

When I right clicked on the image it did not give the usual Flash options, so I presume you have used something else to show the rotating images?

But can you still have the Ken Jones effect working if required?

John

lmilesw May 16, 2010 04:01 PM

This is strictly a fade option as outlined in this forum.