Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Custom Menu Category Post Now Showing Up (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=19622)

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 10:48 AM

Custom Menu Category Post Now Showing Up

Just started setting up this theme and am trying to get the category menu set up. The category menu shows up with all of my categories, but when I click on any one of them I get a page not found error. I did find a plugin that lists all of the posts under each category when you hover over the category as a temp fix - but I would really like to be able to go to the category "page" when you click the menu tab. I've read numnerous posts about the ctaegory menu but haven't found the answer yet. Can you point me in the right direciton? Thanks

juggledad Feb 12, 2013 11:18 AM

what version of Atahualpa and WP?
What is the url?
do you have posts assigned to the categories?

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 12:34 PM

Atahualpa - 3.7.10
WP -
What is the url?

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 12:39 PM

Atahualpa - 3.7.10
WP - 3.5.1
What is the url?
dailyezette.com
I have posts that are specific to each category - I didn't specically "assign" anything other than selecting whch category the post gets posted to when published. As I mentioned they all show up properly when you hover over the category menu item.
I'm not sure if by default the theme should have populated the category page for me - or if I needed to add something.
Thanks

lmilesw Feb 12, 2013 01:17 PM

You could either use the WordPress menu builder or you could set "Don't link first level parent items in Page Menu Bar?" in the menu section to "Yes" to unlink the first item.

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 02:22 PM

I used the wordpress menu builder and saved the menu. Then under menu 2 in the theme I selected that menu. I'm using category menu 2 so I don't see the "Don't link first..." option. Actually I'd like to link the first level to a posts page that has all of the post in that category.

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 02:29 PM

I'm looking for a feature like this
http://www.shelterness.com/
the front page has all of the posts listed chronologically, but if you select a category menu item you receive a page with just the posts related to that category.

lmilesw Feb 12, 2013 02:33 PM

In the WordPress menu builder just add the category to the menu. If you don't see categories you may have to enable using the Page Options on the top right of the menu page.

juggledad Feb 12, 2013 03:20 PM

try setting your permalinks to the default and then back to what you now have.

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 96472)
In the WordPress menu builder just add the category to the menu. If you don't see categories you may have to enable using the Page Options on the top right of the menu page.

I had tried that before, tried again but help. I also tried building a new custom menu and loading that one, again no difference -

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 96473)
try setting your permalinks to the default and then back to what you now have.

Ok, I tried that, no change. I see that the permalinks are set to post name http://dailyezette.com/sample-post/ without a category modifier - could that be a problem? Though the plugin that showed the posts under each category did work. I deactivated that plugin when i tried both of these recommendations just to make sure there was no conflict.

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 07:15 PM

Judging from both of your replies I'm guessing that this should be working just as I have it setup?

juggledad Feb 12, 2013 07:27 PM

Are you using a wp custom menu or the atahualpa automatic menu?

Have you tried disabling all your plugins to see if one is causing a conflict?

jtwardy Feb 12, 2013 08:05 PM

I'm using wp custom menu, which doesn't show up unless I put %cats in the configure header area. I'll try deactivating the plugins tomorrow. Thanks
I did try selecting no menu in wp custon, an just leaving %cats in, but same issue.

juggledad Feb 12, 2013 08:09 PM

If you want to send me a PM with an admin ID/pw, I'll take a look tomorrow

jtwardy Feb 13, 2013 06:20 AM

Tried deactivating all of the plugins - still no go - I'll PM you the info

juggledad Feb 13, 2013 06:43 AM

Why has a blank 'category.php' file been added to the theme folder?

jtwardy Feb 13, 2013 08:04 AM

That was a stab in the dark - I was reading that the Ata theme does not come with category or other files that may be needed that typically come with other themes so I set up a folder and was going to copy the category files from another theme. It can be deleted.

juggledad Feb 13, 2013 09:54 AM

You will have to delete it. Once you do, tell me how the site works.

jtwardy Feb 13, 2013 10:09 AM

Doy - Well it solved the problem(deleting the file) - but it showed up another prblem - when I click on a menu item the posts show up now for each category - but the image is shown as a place holder/link vs the actual image - any suggesitons there? Thanks

juggledad Feb 13, 2013 10:26 AM

The reason it now works is that when you request a list of posts by caegory (clicking on a category name) wordpress looks in the themes folder for a 'category.php' file and if it finds it, it passes control to it. You had a file and it was empty, so processing stopped and nothing was displayed because that's what you told it to do (had you typed 'boo' in that file, you would have seen 'boo' on the screen.

Wordpress by default, removes all html from excerpts on a multi-post page (a category listing is a multi-post page). Atahualpa follows this lead, but gives you an option to display some HTML. Look at the EXCERPTS options section of the theme options.

lmilesw Feb 13, 2013 10:56 AM

You could also use the "Featured Image" function for each post.

jtwardy Feb 13, 2013 01:14 PM

Thanks guys - I never would have remembered I stuck that empty folder there.