Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   [SOLVED] full posts on the front page (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18848)

widdy Nov 6, 2012 09:29 AM

[SOLVED] full posts on the front page

Love the theme and using the blog format and the front page has small excerpts of my posts.

How can I make the full posts show up on the front page??? I believe I can divide long posts when I make them with the read more tag.

I would like the posts on the front page to be full without that read more on every post.

How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

juggledad Nov 6, 2012 09:42 AM

so what have you tried so far?
Have you really looked at the options and the virtual templates?
have you looked at what 'Limited PHP Code' is avaliable?

widdy Nov 6, 2012 09:53 AM

my pages are showing up fine, it's just the home page that I'm having problems with. I'm just trying to get full posts on the front page, 6 to 10 of them and not just the small boxes.

Most of my posts are images and the blocks on the front page are cutting them off.

I went through all the css files but didnt want to touch anything and think I can fix this in the index.php but not as to how.

I'm sorry for being illiterate to the new theme. I dont know what you mean by this

have you looked at what 'Limited PHP Code' is available?

To sum things up, is there any way to alter a line somewhere or a radio button in the theme options that I'm missing that will make the posts on my front show full.

Thank you for your time.

juggledad Nov 6, 2012 11:19 AM

You need to check out all the theme options especially the section on 'virtual templates' when in there you will see a button in the upper right labeled 'Limited PHP code' check it out.

widdy Nov 6, 2012 11:38 AM

i guess this theme may be out of my leauge. there may not be a way to change it anyway. the other blogs i toured in the showing off thread all have the read more and scrunched posts on the front page.

if there's a way to expand the posts on the front page can you direct me to a thread that may have a solution? i found the limited php code link you sent me to but i dont know what code to alter.

thanks for your time, it may not be something that can be done. it's a shame because this is the nicest theme ive seen in years besides the Atahualpa theme this site put out.

juggledad Nov 6, 2012 11:42 AM

Actually it is very easy and I have been trying to point you in the direction.
You might want to read my signature

claidig Nov 6, 2012 12:34 PM

Widdy...
I think you are like me when I first started using this theme and are a little overwhlemed with how it is setup and with all of the options.

I had only installed themes and used the "buttons" or whatever was available in the admin area to change the layout up until just recently...I am guessing that is where you are about now and editing the php templates may be out of the question for you...just guessing based on what you are trying to do and your post (sorry if I am wrong).

That given said...Juggledad,
I have looked over the limited php several times now and I still don't know how to incorporate or change the amount, size, etc. of posts on my main page.
I am trying to figure that out right now actually...I will probably post a new thread and ask for some help since I dont want to hi-jack this one.
Just thought I would let you know that he is not the only one a little confused on this matter :(
Perhaps you were thinking he (and others such as myself) were/are more familiar with the inner workings and coding of Wordpress themes?
Or..maybe I too am missing something (I have been up all night geeking out...lol)

juggledad Nov 6, 2012 01:06 PM

The virtual template index.php controls the page display and it calls the post format.php template which displays the posts.

If you don't know any php and/or haven't got an idea of the various Wordpress functions, then this is probably not the template for you. This holds true for almost every template. If you don't want to live with it exactly as it is given, then you have to understand some basic HTML, CSS, php and the Wordpress 'loop' among other things.

The best way to learn about the features of a template is to play with it. create a play site and then try every option and see what it does. If you don't have the time or inclination to do that, then you should hire someone to setup your site the way you want it, or pick a theme and live within its design.

claidig Nov 6, 2012 02:24 PM

I personally have been spending much time trying to get all of this figured out...I actualy enjoy it even though it's more than frustrating at time since i do not know how to code.

I am getting a grasp on the templating setup but there may be things I am missing which I cannot seem to find an answer to and that could be because I don't know what terms to search for.

So for example...
If I just made my own virtual template which also calls my own custom format (which I made) I would have a piece of code inserted on my template page like this:
PHP Code:

<?php bfa_loop'mycustomformat' ); ?>

All that does for me though is ads the contents of the page I am on into that particular format.

What if I wanted to have something like this for my MAIN PAGE (which is what I think Widdy wants)
PHP Code:

One FULL Post of MY CHOICE or AUTO UPDATED <?php bfa_loop'mycustomformat' ); ?>

PHP Code:

Another FULL Post of MY CHOICE or AUTO UPDATED <?php bfa_loop'mycustomformat2' ); ?>

HTML Code:

Then the rest of my page would be static or at least I could chose to do stuff here if I wanted.
Are there variables or something that we should know about already in order to accomplish this?
This is where I am really stuck...seems like I should be able to make a single page that had one post on it from each categroy if I wanted to....but maybe not.

I hope that makes sense :)

I am really liking the time you guys spent on the documentation and everything else for that matter...just wish I was a little more experienced in wordpress functionality before seeing and loving your theme...lol

juggledad Nov 6, 2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

What if I wanted to have something like this for my MAIN PAGE (which is what I think Widdy wants)
all Widdy needs do is read the documentation to see that
HTML Code:

<?php bfa_loop(); ?>
calls the sub-template postformat.php for each post.

So now you would need to look at what is in postformat.php to see what will happen with that post.

you can have other formats, you just need to put in the code to have it display the post in the form you want.

widdy Nov 6, 2012 08:58 PM

Thanks for the subliminal messsages juggledad.

dont bring a man fish, teach a man how to fish.

got it, thanks for making me do it on my own, it's much better that way, but you know that.

the limited set of php functions i believe are the only types of coding lines that can be used with the template. it's amazing what you can learn when someone makes it you do it yourself. i had 8 hours @ work to think about what you said and had it fixed 15 minutes after walking back in the door. sorry for being so ignorant to what you were trying to do with me.

thank you for helping me help myself, yes, problem solved.