Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Plugins & Atahualpa (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Simple Facebook Connect - works but doesn't display Facebook avatars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8845)

grahambae Aug 12, 2010 03:16 AM

Simple Facebook Connect - works but doesn't display Facebook avatars

Wordpress 3.0.1 + Atahualpa 3.4.9

I installed the Simple Facebook Connect plugin and it works quite nicely, except for one thing:

When a user comments on a post, it displays their Gravatar (or Mystery Man if they don't have one) instead of their Facebook profile photo. I dug around looking for an answer, including on these forums, and it seems like it's got something to do with the way Atahualpa fetches a commenter's avatar.

Is anyone able to provide any advice on how I can get the Facebook profile photo to override the default photo?

lmilesw Aug 12, 2010 04:53 AM

I have no idea if this would fix your problem but I would first upgrade to Atahualpa 3.5.3 manually per these instructions.

AussiAnni Oct 13, 2010 04:01 AM

I have jusst integrated this plugin today and it works perfectly. Do you see the blue connect with Facebook button on your comment form. This will only be visible if you are logged out of WordPress.

If you don't you need to follow the instructions from the plugin developer for implementing the commenting. They can be found here. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Special note about the comments plugin" . Atah must use the old way of calling the commets form as I had to insert these lines of code for it to work.

derekwbeck Nov 4, 2010 03:41 AM

Thanks for this, it was useful. I needed to add the code you mentioned to get it to work too. By the way, for clarification for future readers, you need to go into WordPress proper: Appearance: Editor: Comments (comments.php) and put the code as described at the link above in the section that begins:

<?php // If User is not logged in: Display the form fields "Name", "Email", "URL"

You can place it before or after the name, email, url boxes.

derekwbeck Nov 4, 2010 03:43 AM

Oh, and this is necessary to get Simple Twitter Connect to work too... (the one fix above enables both login options)

lmilesw Nov 4, 2010 09:22 AM

I have sent this info to the developer.

derekwbeck Nov 4, 2010 01:02 PM

thanks sir!

derekwbeck Nov 4, 2010 01:10 PM

For those interested, I specifically added this code to my comments.php:

Code:

<div class="altcommentlogin" id="comment-user-details"> <!--added for Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect-->
<?php do_action('alt_comment_login'); ?> <!--added for Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect-->

</div><!--added for Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect-->

Note the new style class? I found that the buttons did not appear flush to the left of the name, email, url textboxes when rendered on the page. I also found that the facebook image had an underline appear when my mouse hovered over it (because I have a site-wide style that links underline red when you point to them). Only the facebook image had an underline appear through it (not in it, but through it), while the twitter image did not. This is because, under close inspection, the twitter button is an image, the facebook "image" is really a text link inside a fancy colored box of code.

At any rate, to have control over these, and to locally eliminate the link underline for that button only, I created that new style class, which I put in
ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts. The code I used is:

Code:

div.altcommentlogin {
margin: 2px;
}
div.altcommentlogin a:hover{ /*special class to stop underlining of links whilst hovering*/
text-decoration: none;
font-style: normal;
}

Finally, I copied and pasted my comments.php into a local computer file for backup.

derekwbeck Jan 29, 2012 06:17 PM

out of date thread...