Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Theme upgrade not showing in Dashboard options (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8092)

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 09:55 AM

Theme upgrade not showing in Dashboard options

This is an odd thing, because I've uploaded the identical atahualpa351 folder to two different websites with two different results. On one, the upgrade option worked just fine. Both sites are using WP 3.0.

However, on the second website (tanglepatterns.com), when I choose the "Preview" option for 351, the screen is entirely blank. I tried to activate it anyway, and the site went blank too. So I quickly reactivated the 346 version.

I checked the folder permissions and they are identical. I tried disabling one or two plugins, but that didn't fix anything.

So I removed all the 351 files from the server, then uploaded them again thinking maybe something went wrong in the upload. But the problem still persists.

I'm loathe to mess around too much because my site is quite active and I don't want to crash it.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks!

lmilesw Jul 12, 2010 10:01 AM

Do both sites have the same plugins? Did you apply the 3.5.1 bug fixes before activating the theme? What is the url of the site that the upgrade worked on?

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 10:10 AM

I didn't apply bug fixes to either site. Didn't realize I needed to. But the other site (lindafarmer.com) is still functioning just fine as far as I can tell.

The 2 sites do not have the same plugins. There are several that are different, and I installed W3 Total Cache on lindafarmer.com but have not enabled it.

I disabled W3 Total Cache on tanglepatterns.com then re-enabled it and I've got weird messages going on now: "Make sure to export your media library and upload your wp-includes, theme files, minify files, and custom files, files to the CDN to ensure proper operation. "

Holy heck.

Appreciate your time! Thanks ... guess I better go find the bug fixes too

lmilesw Jul 12, 2010 10:41 AM

I think those messages are "normal" for W3 Total Cache. The bugs that the fixes fix show themselves mostly in dropdown page menus which you don't have. They also manifest in titles when you have the Atahualpa Post / Page Options enabled in 3.5.1. There is also a Auto Draft fix. None of these should give you a blank page though.

Also take a look at this thread about the bfa_at4 button. This may be your issue with the blank page after upgrading.

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 10:53 AM

I am just about to add sub-pages to the Book Reviews section, so that's very helpful to know I need to apply the bug fix first.

So if I understand you correctly, I should activate the upgrade to 351, then go to the ATO in the backend to deal with the bfa_at4 button?

I need to choose a time of day when there aren't a lot of visitors in case things don't go as smoothly as I'd like to think they will!

lmilesw Jul 12, 2010 11:12 AM

I like to do work at about midnight or 1:00am for that very reason. In the meantime you might want to check out the New Versions and updating forum to get a better feel for what is going on.

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 11:23 AM

Oh brother, I seriously screwed this up.

I accidentally uploaded the fixes to the 346 folder, and now the site is reading this:

Warning: include(TEMPLATEPATH/functions/bfa_get_options.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tanglepa/public_html/index.php on line 2
Warning: include(TEMPLATEPATH/functions/bfa_get_options.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tanglepa/public_html/index.php on line 2
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'TEMPLATEPATH/functions/bfa_get_options.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/tanglepa/public_html/index.php on line 2
Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_header() in /home/tanglepa/public_html/index.php on line 3

I reuploaded index.php, and the bfa_get_options.php from 346, but it hasn't fixed anything.

I'm really freaking out here!!
I shouldn't have touched anything until later. Sigh ...

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 11:36 AM

I re-uploaded the complete functions subdirectory, hoping that would solve it. But it didn't.

911 !!

THANKS.

lmilesw Jul 12, 2010 12:06 PM

If you can't get into the WordPress dashboard I would:
  1. Copy your original atahualpa 3.4.6 folder to your desktop via FTP
  2. Delete the the folder on the server
  3. You should now be able to get into the WordPress dashboard
  4. Upload a fresh copy of 3.4.6 into a atahualpa346 folder
  5. Login into your WP dashboard and activate
  6. You could now upload atahualp 3.5.1 into a atahualpa351 folder
  7. Now wait a couple of days until your panic dies down before proceeding
If you CAN get into the dashboard I would start at step 3.

If you want to PM me a login and password I will take a look.

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 12:15 PM

Sent you a PM with the details.

I can get to the Dashboard, no problem. I'll wait to hear from you before I do anything else.

I put up a quick index.html page so the error message won't show up. Hopefully I can get this fixed quickly.

(and my stomach will settle down again!)

lmilesw Jul 12, 2010 12:29 PM

You are back and updated to 3.5.1 with the bug fixes in place. Now take a deep breathe. I had to reinstall WP 3.0 which what was causing the main issue.

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 12:34 PM

OMG.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, when I regain my senses, I'll be making another donation.

I wanted to join the Diamond Club, but this was one hell of a way to go about it.

Namaste.

lmilesw Jul 12, 2010 12:36 PM

Nice clean site BTW

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 12:37 PM

And I would NEVER have figured out it was WP that was causing the trouble!

StudioGal Jul 12, 2010 12:48 PM

Thanks for the compliment! Much appreciated.

BTW - it should be good to go for sub-pages now too? I haven't needed these on any other site, so this will be a new experience.

lmilesw Jul 12, 2010 01:54 PM

sub pages should be fine.