Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Use images instead of text in Page menues? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=20276)

dailyshoe May 7, 2013 07:51 AM

Use images instead of text in Page menues?

:confused: Hi. I'd like to use images instead of the names of the pages in my menus. How do I go about this?

lmilesw May 7, 2013 08:36 AM

You can use CSS to accomplish that. I even think it's been addressed before on the forum. It will require some knowledge of CSS and perhaps use of Firebug. To write up a step by step would be a bit time consuming and I just don't have the time right now.

dailyshoe May 7, 2013 11:08 AM

:(

Is there anyone else who might have the time to help me?
Is this not a support forum?

juggledad May 7, 2013 11:27 AM

Yes this is a support forum, and Larry has given you guideance to address your guestion. Did you do you due diligence with a thorough search of the forum for an answer?

dailyshoe May 7, 2013 11:35 AM

Wow, you guys are quite mean. I see clearly this is not the forum for beginners or those who don't do much coding. I'm sorry for bothering you guys with my request for support. :(
PS: yes I did search and I didn't find the answer although I am no expert at using this forum so please forgive me.

dailyshoe May 7, 2013 11:36 AM

PPS: please don't attack me or be more mean.

lmilesw May 7, 2013 11:41 AM

I'm sorry you feel we are mean. As mentioned we are not paid for what we do. This is all supported by donations which are very little for the amount of hours we put in.

Without looking at the exact code (which is what takes the time) one way to do what you want is to put a class on the menu items in Appearance>Menus (the class box may need to be enabled in screen options). Then using that class use CSS for a background image. The syntax for background images can be found at w3schools.com.

I hope that at least gives you an idea of where to go.

dailyshoe May 7, 2013 11:45 AM

As one of your donors I thank you for this response Larry.

I shall endeavor to find the answer you are sure to have provided to somebody at some stage in the past.

This interchange has left me feeling sad and disillusioned with the Atahualpa experience.

lmilesw May 7, 2013 11:53 AM

I pretty much gave you the answer in my last post.
  • What needs clarification for you?
  • Do you understand the background image idea?
  • Do you know how to add classes to the menu items?
  • Do you have images for the menus created?
  • Are you going to use hover images as well?
  • How big are the images?
And here is a link I found in a search I just did. It may not be exactly what you want but perhaps can help.

dailyshoe May 7, 2013 12:02 PM

Hi Larry

I feel I will somehow get into trouble for saying this, but
I am completely not a CSS coder. I used to create my website using FrontPage in the old days. Thus, I understand a bit of HTML but am nowhere near experienced enough to know exactly what you are talking about unless it is completely clear where I need to look with regards to CSS. I try to learn and I look at the tutorial websites but it is hard when you aren't immersed in it all day.

I do not understand the bg image idea. I do not know how to add classes to the menu items. I sort of know what classes might be but I'm not sure.

I do have images: they are little flags representing the language of the page that the visitor will proceed to. I do not imagine there will be any need for hovering.

I'm feeling very stupid, clueless and embarrassed right now. It feels like I should know more to be entitled to use this support forum.

juggledad May 7, 2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

I'm feeling very stupid, clueless and embarrassed right now. It feels like I should know more to be entitled to use this support forum.
You shouldn't feel that way at all, however you have to realize that both Larry and I are unpaid moderators. Sure we answer lts of questions as our time permits. In my life, my family (like the one year old grandson that is wandering and climbing onto my lap) my friends, my church, my paying customers all get priority for my time.

I'm sure you have run into the situation where someone asks for what they think is a little thing (after all it only took them a moment to think aof it) but it could mean hours of your time to do.

The forum is a lot like that, You want to step outside the theme options and do something 'different' than the default. You are a NOOB and need detailed instructions, well as a CSS beginner shouldn't you stay with the defaults until you have learned more? If you must have something, how badly do you need it? Enough to spend the time learning how to do it or paying someone to do it for you?

If the answer is no, then you probably don't need it. My general goal with questions asked here is to help people find the solution themself so they learn how to solve future problems.

If you are new to CSS ou should start taking some tutorials (htmldog.com/css is one) and learn a little each day. Four ears ago, I knew no CSS and had never heard about Atahualpa...