Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Content Submission Plug-in (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7117)

writeleft May 14, 2010 06:19 PM

Content Submission Plug-in

Hi all.

I'm currently designing a site that I want to be quite interactive on a variety of levels. One that is more important currently is video submission.

Does anyone know of a plug-in that is compatible with Atahualpa that allows people visiting your site to send you video clips? I assume it would be something similar to a contact form, but I don't know of any contact forms that allow users to submit anything other than contact information.

On a similar note, does anyone know of a plug-in similar to lightview plus or fancy box that creates a lightbox effect for youtube videos? I'm hoping to create a gallery page that consists of small thumbnails of youtube vidoes that users could click on and would pop up similar to a lightbox effect on a photo gallery page.

Any help you all could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

writeleft May 17, 2010 10:23 AM

I've decided to use wp-prettyPhoto by Pier-Luc Petitclerc. It can handle various image and video content and is available for personal and commercial use free of charge. So far, it seems to be exactly what I've been looking for.

You can find it here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-prettyphoto/

And here is the developer's site: http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com/...ightbox-clone/

The only issue I'm finding is that I'm not entirely certain it can pick up images that are located inside a photo album created using something like flickr or lazyest. If anyone has further insight on this, I'd love to hear about your experience.

paulae May 17, 2010 10:48 AM

I haven't tried that plugin, but cForms will let you design a form with a file upload feature. You'd have to set the allowable file size limit very high in order to accept video uploads. Why not just tell people to upload to YouTube and send you their embed code?

writeleft May 17, 2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulae (Post 32169)
I haven't tried that plugin, but cForms will let you design a form with a file upload feature. You'd have to set the allowable file size limit very high in order to accept video uploads. Why not just tell people to upload to YouTube and send you their embed code?

Would that not cause a bit of stress on the server hosting the site to have to pull the content from an outside source? At least that's the way I've always thought of it.

The group I'm designing the site for want to have full control over how content is submitted to them and what kind of content, and I think, for them, that means accepting video that hasn't been processed through some of the popular sites as of yet. The content will largely be art pieces, which can sometimes fall outside of the terms of use that some of those sites have.

I probably could've explained this better instead of generalizing it down to just YouTube.

cForm is a great idea! I actually have a copy of the plugin downloaded to my computer when I was thinking of using it for a previous site and didn't even think to check it's functionality for what I was looking for. *answer right in front of your eyes, etc. . .*

paulae May 17, 2010 04:29 PM

The YouTube video will play via the YouTube server, not your client's. You're just making a link to the video, so there's no load on the client's server. Of course, if content is an issue, that's another matter.

writeleft May 17, 2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulae (Post 32229)
The YouTube video will play via the YouTube server, not your client's. You're just making a link to the video, so there's no load on the client's server. Of course, if content is an issue, that's another matter.

Do you ever have those moments where you KNOW that you KNEW something, but can't remember how you entirely forgot about it.

It's like you just said something that I knew some years ago, but just managed to forget about it for whatever reason.

I guess I just have always been about self-hosting of content for the past few years as you pretty much don't have to worry about someone violating your terms or broken links on anyone else's part. Granted, I should probably analyze how much having all my content loaded onto my server impacts loading, etc.

Thanks for the reminder!

Kadin May 20, 2010 05:58 PM

Youtube is a very good option. Video hosting can get costly... Fast. Friend of mine put a gaming video up that he compiled that suddenly got hyper popular and all of a sudden his hosting account was disconnected due to "abuse" even though it supposedly had "unlimited" bandwidth LOL. Another perk to youtube is they have some nice revenue generating options (read adds) that if you enable can bring in some easy cash.