Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Unable to change themes after using theme switcher plugin?? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=2782)

jack96161 Aug 2, 2009 01:15 PM

Unable to change themes after using theme switcher plugin??

After loading and experimenting with A 3.3.3, I loaded the theme switcher plugin to try alternative themes - including Atahualpa. It appeared to work, but I quickly settled on Atahualpa and removed the theme switching plugin to clean up the sidebar it was in.

Now my Wordpress (2.8.2) installation is very confused about changing themes with the normal admin page instead of the plugin - the Themes admin page indicates a change to a new template, but visiting the page results in using the previous template. After re-installing the plugin, it appears to be able to switch themes again, but things are still confused.

This may be a bug in the plugin, but I'd really like to understand how Atahualpa addresses it's theme files. According to the message on the WP Theme Admin page when Atahualpa 3.4.2 is activated "All of this theme’s files are located in /themes/atahualpa342", however, when I visit the page and view the Page Source, it is addressing "/themes/atahualpa" - which exists, but has earlier version of the theme. Is the directory name "atahualpa" hard wired somewhere in the Atahualpa theme? Is there a problem having multiple versions of Atahualpa loaded in a given WP installation?

Who determines where a theme's files are located - Wordpress or Atahualpa?

Jack

jack96161 Aug 2, 2009 01:31 PM

OK, more info -- apparently, if you have the theme switcher plugin installed, the only way to change themes is to use the plugin - removing it from a sidebar to the "inactive" widgets doesn't seem to completely remove it from confusing WP's normal theme switching mechanism. Not Atahualpha's problem -- I'll have to investigate this further.

Also, the theme name indicated in style.css appears to be "atahualpa" regardless of which release, causing atahualpa342 to run using files from the "atahualpa" directory. All this works if you always load a new version of Atahualpha in place of the old one - in a directory named simply "atahualpa". Having several releases loaded at once under different names takes a bit more work than should be necessary.

Jack

Nelson Aug 2, 2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack96161 (Post 11751)
OK, more info -- apparently, if you have the theme switcher plugin installed, the only way to change themes is to use the plugin - removing it from a sidebar to the "inactive" widgets doesn't seem to completely remove it from confusing WP's normal theme switching mechanism. Not Atahualpha's problem -- I'll have to investigate this further.

Also, the theme name indicated in style.css appears to be "atahualpa" regardless of which release, causing atahualpa342 to run using files from the "atahualpa" directory. All this works if you always load a new version of Atahualpha in place of the old one - in a directory named simply "atahualpa". Having several releases loaded at once under different names takes a bit more work than should be necessary.

Jack

Hi Jack, I ran into this myself ... the problem is that the theme switcher uses a cookie to remember the theme you used last. The only way to get your admin theme switch to work again is to remove the theme switch plugin cookie in your browser's cache.

Hope this helps,

Nelson

jack96161 Aug 3, 2009 10:12 AM

Thanks Nelson -- I was afraid the theme switcher had done something more malicious to my WP installation. Makes perfect sense to consider cookies (now that you point it out!) but I wouldn't have thought of it until I'd burned hours looking elsewhere!

Cheers,
Jack