Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [SOLVED] Horizontal space can't be set for images with captions (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18490)

kali Sep 27, 2012 11:10 AM

[SOLVED] Horizontal space can't be set for images with captions

1 Attachment(s)
I'm teaching a WordPress course using Atahualpa as my example theme, and I need to solve this ASAP.

I've tested this out with Twenty-Ten and there's no problem, so I'm sure it's the latest version of Atahualpa interacting with the latest version of WP. It's a new install, with no plugins, right out of the box.

In images without captions, I can use the image settings to set the image align-left and to create a 15px horizontal space between the image and the text on the page. BUT, when I add a caption to the image, the horizontal spacing no longer works properly and I see image you see in the attachment. If you check the URL http://burningcities.com/uncategoriz...in-particular/ then you can see that the caption & box display properly, but the gutter is not 15px.

Any idea what's going on?

juggledad Sep 27, 2012 12:10 PM

go to ato->export/import settings export your settings and attach them to a reply
take this as an oppertunity to teach your students about problem solving :)

kali Sep 27, 2012 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I certainly will!

Here's the settings file, attached. Thanks for looking at it!

juggledad Sep 27, 2012 12:38 PM

ok, I'm not seeing an issue on my site whth your settings.
set the image so you have teh error and then I can look at your site.

kali Sep 27, 2012 12:50 PM

Problem is that you can't see it on the site, only in the editing window. Can I private mail you a login/pwd ? It's an empty site, and there's only the one post.

juggledad Sep 27, 2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

private mail you a login/pwd
sure - send me a PM

are you using the html or visual editor?

juggledad Sep 27, 2012 07:12 PM

ok teh reason for the difference is that Tewnty-eleven supplies a file 'editor-style.css' and Atahualpa doesn't it uses the WordPress standard.

what you can do is copy that file from the twenty-eleven into the atahualpa theme folder and it should look teh same.

To me this is a bug in WordPress - if they had to add a special css file they should have fixed the original fie instead.

kali Sep 28, 2012 03:06 AM

I copied the twentyten editor-style.css into the atahualpa theme folder as you suggested, but there is no change in the editor window. Nor does it change the post itself.

Any other thoughts?

juggledad Sep 28, 2012 04:23 AM

You should be ok now. Two things had to be changed
1) the line
HTML Code:

add_editor_style('editor-style.css');
had to be added to the begining of functions.php
2) the 'editor-style.css' needed to come from twentyeleven - the twenty-ten version has the same problem.

I fixed both and you should be good to go.

kali Sep 28, 2012 04:38 AM

Wow, very cool! And thanks very much!

One more question... My normal paragraph font in the editor window now seems to have changed.... Can we set that so it matches the display font when I view that page?

I very much appreciate your willingness to help me sort this out. I didn't need more convincing, but it's a clear demonstration why Atahualpa is a great template choice!

Kali

juggledad Sep 28, 2012 04:46 AM

If by display font you mean the font you pick in the theme, then the answer is no/yes
You could do it by editing the 'editor-style.css' file but if you change the font in atahualpa you would have to change the file again.

Don't put much stock on the visual editor, it has many quirks. Use it as a reference or better yet learn how to use the HTML editor or look at one of the editor plugins

kali Sep 28, 2012 07:07 AM

Okay, I see what you mean. I do use the html editor myself, but I'm teaching a class for beginners who want to start building their own sites. Some will be interested in html and some won't. I find that beginners panic when faced with discrepancies of any kind, so I try to reduce them as much as possible.

Once again, I appreciate the time you've taken to solve the problem. Hopefully, the class will create a dozen or more new Atahualpa fans...