Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] Changes delayed in appearing? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1328)

Shepherd Jim Apr 19, 2009 08:26 AM

[SOLVED] Changes delayed in appearing?

I'm noticing that I will make a change and it won't show up ...immediately? ...at all?

The change might be to the width of a <div> in the Atahualpa Options CSS Inserts. I remember to click Save Changes and then switch to another browser tab which has the site loaded and re-load (refresh) the page. The <div> does not show the change.

Sometimes if I re-load the page again, the change might show. Sometimes, maybe I'll load a different page and then come back to the one with that <div>.

Logging out of the Dashboard completely might help.

Is it a problem to have the Dashboard open in two Firefox tabs at the same time? -- maybe with Pages open in one and Atahualpa options open in the other? I've always assumed that once you clicked on "Save Changes" or "Update Page" or whatever, that any changes you might have made would be "active" and viewable by anyone in their browser of choice.

What's going on?

Flynn Apr 19, 2009 09:06 AM

Sounds like a Firefox cache issue. My Firefox is also more persistent with the cache than for instance IE, and requires a page to be reloaded 1-2 times before changes show

Shepherd Jim Apr 19, 2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn (Post 5225)
Sounds like a Firefox cache issue. My Firefox is also more persistent with the cache than for instance IE, and requires a page to be reloaded 1-2 times before changes show

I thought I had noticed that if booted IE it would show the updated page. I'll also have to do some experimentation with a FF tab running the IE rendering engine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
==================================================
UPDATE -- The Solution!

I did switch rendering engine in a Firefox tab to IE and that was a solution. An IE-rendered tab would load and show the new version of a page as you'd hope and expect.

But, in Firefox, I also tried disabling thr cache altogether per the following instructions I found in Firefox support knowledgbase:

To disable the cache, type about:config into the location bar and press enter. This brings up a list or preferences.

Locate the preference browser.cache.disk.enable and double-click on it to change its value to false.

But, after doing the above FF was STIll NOT loading the updated pages, even after MULTI re-loads/refreshs. I'd have been pulling my hair out except I'm already bald.

THEN - LIGHTNING STRUCK! -- I deactivated the "WP Super Cache" plugin (the one by Donncha O Caoimh). Immediately problem was gone. Changed pages load up properly on first reload. I even went back in to "about:config" and turned FF caching back on and I'm still seeing edited pages without hangup or delay.

SO! The WP Super Cache seems to behave very differently between FF and IE. I'll be contacting Mr. Caoimh to alert him re my experience.

In the meanwhile: What do you think about being logged into the "same" WP backend Dashboard in multiple tabs? Is that liable to cause unforseen problems?

Flynn Apr 20, 2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepherd Jim (Post 5231)

In the meanwhile: What do you think about being logged into the "same" WP backend Dashboard in multiple tabs? Is that liable to cause unforseen problems?

No, except that what you see in some tabs might be outdated. If you have the same Atahualpa menu page open in several Firefox tabs, then what you see in some of the tabs might be outdated. The moment you click "Save Changes" in one of the outdated tabs, you'll be saving the old setting again.

Just click on "Atahualpa Theme Options" on the left vertical menu again when in doubt

Shepherd Jim Apr 20, 2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn (Post 5259)
No, except that what you see in some tabs might be outdated. If you have the same Atahualpa menu page open in several Firefox tabs, then what you see in some of the tabs might be outdated. The moment you click "Save Changes" in one of the outdated tabs, you'll be saving the old setting again.

Just click on "Atahualpa Theme Options" on the left vertical menu again when in doubt

Ouch! I wonder how much confusion I've caused myself? I do not usually have the SAME AtH (ok abbreviation?) tab open in multiple FFox tabs, BUT I will often have two different AtH tabs open in two different FFox tabs. And even more often I'll have the WP Dashboard text editor open along with an AtH tab.

Thanks for the hint about clicking on "Atahualpa Theme Options" to make sure that everything is re-set to the updated info.