Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   [SOLVED] Hide title (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=20259)

vibhor May 5, 2013 09:52 AM

[SOLVED] Hide title

Hi, I am new to wordpress with minimum knowledge about php. I am building a website using the Montezuma theme. The theme is amazing, but I have spent almost two days just to remove a page title with no success.
Please help me , how can I hide my page title in this theme.

juggledad May 5, 2013 11:34 AM

what is the URL of the site?

vibhor May 5, 2013 12:00 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply.
my site url is http://webdragon.uni.me/

I have just started making it and as you can see , there isnt much content yet.
But at my static home page, you can see the "Home" title which is driving me nuts.
Please guide me , how can i remove it.

juggledad May 5, 2013 12:42 PM

well you could hide it with CSS (use firebug to determind the CSS to use) or
ou could edit the vitrual template and remove it from showing on any page

vibhor May 5, 2013 01:04 PM

ohh...ok
please tell me the easier way coz i am a toddler when it comes to wordpress..
I dont know about CSS but I think i can do it by the virtual template method, i have a bleak knowledge about the template hierarchy.
Since this theme does not have a front-page.php template, so should I make some changes in page.php
and if so, what change should I do ?

jerryc May 5, 2013 02:57 PM

Your home page has the word home in 3 places, the menu, the breadcrumbs, and in the content. I'm guessing it's the one in the content you want to remove.

You can make a front-page.php template and set that for your home page. Juggledad suggested I do that and it worked great for me. Copy page.php or whatever else that's closest to what you want. You can remove the title from it. Take out:

HTML Code:

<?php the_title(); ?>
and its associated formatting and link code, which is probably everything from <h1> to </h1>, inclusive. As juggledad said, experiment until you get what you want.

lmilesw May 5, 2013 04:25 PM

@vibhor... Did you try a search on wordpress.org for a plugin to do what you want?

I just did a search and found this plugin. Before I recommend a plugin I like to test and so I installed this (and a couple of other plugins) to see if it worked. The others didn't but this one did in my tests. I can't always take the time to search, test, and suggest so taking the time to search on wordpress.org is often your best first step.

To make it worth the time it took though I would like to know if you did or didn't search for a plugin and if not why didn't you? Is it because you didn't know about plugins or just didn't want to take the time? Knowing the why would help in better understanding how we can fine tune our support process.

vibhor May 5, 2013 08:20 PM

@jerryc : Actually I was a bit hesitant earlier in changing/modifying the theme templates. I read somewhere that for Montezuma , you can either edit the title part in the page.php or yo can make a front-page.php with things you want.
- I edited the page.php ( copy-pasting codes of similar problems, but I guess I am wrong somewhere).
- I also made a front-page.php template , but I had no clue what to code in it.

juggledad May 5, 2013 08:36 PM

add a virtual templae 'front-page.php', copy the content of the 'page.php' virtual template into it. Make your changes there. Experiment, take different chuncks of code out and see what they do, play a bit, it is the best way to learn.

If you mess the template up, you can always copy 'page.php' back in and start over.

vibhor May 5, 2013 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@lmilesw : Yes I knew about the plugins, and in fact I was using this plugin but it was of no use.

I used the 'Disable Title' plugin that you suggested me. Well it worked great for me, but in the breadcrumbs I am getting a blank space. Can I do anything about it. I dont want it.
Below is a zip file that contains a screenshot of my homepage and the thing I dont want (To make a bit more clear).
I am sorry I am being so fussy, but I really need to fix this.

vibhor May 5, 2013 08:55 PM

@juggledad : the plugin worked good for me, but now I am getting a blank space in the breadcrumbs where the title of the page stood earlier.
Can I fix that without coding or should I finally start off with the front-page.php and work on it ?

juggledad May 5, 2013 09:10 PM

There are many ways to fix an issue like this try different ones and see which one you think is best

lmilesw May 5, 2013 09:23 PM

Or you could perhaps just use CSS... and a tweak to the virtual page.php template. You would first wrap the appropriate line in a div like the following.
HTML Code:

<div class="page-title">
<h1>
<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a>
<?php bfa_comments_number(); ?>
</h1>
</div>                       
}

Then you would use CSS similar to the following to remove the title
HTML Code:

.page-title {
display: none;
}

If you only want the title removed from a particular page you would need to add the page ID to the CSS to target that one page.

vibhor May 6, 2013 09:54 AM

@ lmilesw : thanks a lot ! You made my day .. :). this helped me a lot and solved my problem ..
Thank You once again..