Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [SOLVED] Too many characters = Server Error??? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12168)

leshall Jan 11, 2011 03:03 PM

[SOLVED] Too many characters = Server Error???

If I add any more words to the text on this page (http://changesformen.com/wordpress/) I get this error...

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@changesformen.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at changesformen.com Port 80

juggledad Jan 11, 2011 03:38 PM

Might be a memory issue. Try deactivating all plugins and see if it works. You might want to post this at word press.org

How large is the post?

leshall Jan 11, 2011 04:45 PM

I did try it without the plug-ins but no difference. It's odd because the page with Posts has much more content.

Could it be a permissions thang?

juggledad Jan 11, 2011 06:16 PM

Do you get the error in the backend when editing the post, or the front end when viewing the po?

leshall Jan 11, 2011 07:11 PM

The backend. Thanks for investigating with me.

Les

juggledad Jan 11, 2011 07:23 PM

swap to the twenty ten theme and see if it still happens.
If it does, then it may have something to do with that post
How big is it just words?
Did it get pasted from a word doc?

leshall Jan 12, 2011 01:12 PM

I had already tried 20/10 Theme and same error.

The post is at 70 words. Around 74 words it breaks. There are also two images in the post. I pasted the content in from a simple text processor...

I am using a tweaked Atahualpa theme. I have some CSS additions - could they be doing it? They are listed below

Thanks for helping me juggledad

td#header {
width: auto;
padding: 0;
background-color: white;
}

h1 {
font-size: 34px;
line-height: 49px;
margin: 0.3em 0 10px;
text-align: left;
color: #666666;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.sfhover {

/* background color for parent menu items of
the current sub-menu. includes the sfhover
class which is used in the suckerfish hack
detailed later in this stylesheet. */
background: transparent;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li {
background-color: transparent;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu {
background: transparent;
border: solid 1px #cccccc;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a {
border: 1px none #cccccc;
}

div#menu1 {
border-style: none;
}

td#middle {
vertical-align: top;
width: 100%;
background: #ffffff;
padding: 10px 75px;
}

#menu1 {
position: relative;
top: -30px;
z-index: 4;
width: 400px;
float: right;
right: 124px;
}

h1 { font-size: 34px; line-height: 1.2; margin: 0.3em 0 10px; }
h2 { font-size: 28px; line-height: 1.3; margin: 1em 0 .2em; }
h3 { font-size: 24px; line-height: 1.3; margin: 1em 0 .2em; }
h4 { font-size: 19px; margin: 1.33em 0 .2em; }
h5 { font-size: 1.3em; margin: 1.67em 0; font-weight: bold; }
h6 { font-size: 1.15em; margin: 1.67em 0; font-weight: bold; }

juggledad Jan 12, 2011 01:19 PM

If you have the same error using the twenty-ten theme, then it is not a theme issue.
It maybe a wordpress issue or a server issue.

take out the two images and see what happens

leshall Jan 12, 2011 01:39 PM

Took them out - same error.

I have the hosting company looking at their logs.

Thanks, Les

leshall Jan 12, 2011 03:06 PM

It's something to do with pasting in text. If I type in an entry there is no problem. If I copy and paste that typed in entry, paste it many times, there is no problem. But as soon as I paste in from another app I get the error...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Les

leshall Jan 12, 2011 03:57 PM

:confused: Okay this is really weird! It is the word "from" that is causing all the problems! How the hell?????

If I change it to frwm or fro or frm the error disappears!

Suggestions? Other than using a different word - which I will probably have to do.

leshall Jan 12, 2011 08:57 PM

This just gets odder and odder - is that a word? Latest from hosting company tech support....

"That may be because 'from' is a MySQL reserved word. It should not be affecting this, though, so obviously something is wrong. I am forwarding this to our senior techs, and they should be getting back to you soon."

juggledad Jan 13, 2011 03:06 AM

the only way the word 'from' would cause a problem is if you had some how, with the prior characters, escaped out of the text and the code now thought this was part of the mysql statement.

remember posts are just rows in a mysql table, so there is a possibility that this could happen, especially if you were pasting from another application that could include hidden characters that were causing this.

So it not the word by itself, it is the word with the surrounding data.

What application are you pasting from? if the app os MS/WORD that is the culprit. MSWORD includes all kind of hidden formatting that is a problem for Wordpress. There is even a button on the post page - paste from word - that strips the 'junk' out when putting it into a post.

leshall Jan 13, 2011 12:51 PM

I'm on a Mac, I used various apps to zap gremlins, viewed content in many different text editors with view invisibles. What is odd is that if I just typed in FROM it would crash.

I don;t know the right term but I would think you are right where the DB content is somehow leaking into the DB structure.

For now we are avoiding using the word from!

juggledad Jan 13, 2011 02:18 PM

It could very well be the aps you are using - I also run on a MAc and have no problems. I thing it could be hard to avoid the word FROM in the long run or, the apps you use to 'zap the gremlins;' are actually creating monsters (grin)

leshall Jan 14, 2011 01:24 PM

Solved! IT WAS THE PHP VERSION. Never thought to check that. I didn't do the initial WP install, so wasn't on top of things.

Changed it to PHP 5 and now it's fine.

Thanks juggledad for all the suggestions. Pint of IPA on the way.

Les