Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Plugins & Atahualpa (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Navigation Breadcrumbs ...recommendations? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=570)

Shepherd Jim Feb 27, 2009 06:56 AM

Navigation Breadcrumbs ...recommendations?

I'm pretty happy with the "stock" Atahualpa horizontal, drop down Page Menu Bar, but would like to include a breadcrumbs feature -- probably to appear immediately below the Header and Menu Bar, above the Page Title on the pages.

I bumbled around in the WP Plugins bazaar and was quickly LOST and CONFUSED.... I could spend the next month testing all the plugins that offer breadcrumbs as a sort of "side feature" to more major menu modifications.

Has anyone already stumbled across what's best?

Tnx TTFN -- Jim

Flynn Feb 27, 2009 01:13 PM

I had used Breadcrumb NavXT in the past and it worked well. Yoast Breadcrumbs is supposed to be good too but haven't used it

Shepherd Jim Feb 27, 2009 05:15 PM

Yeah, those two plugins seemed to be the most mentioned in what I was seeing.

I tried to activate the "Breadcrumb NavXT" version with the "Administration interface" but that failed generating the error message:
"Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/content/H/T/F/HTF2004/html/wp/wp-content/plugins/breadcrumb-navxt/breadcrumb_navxt_admin.php on line 37"
I saw mention by the plugin author in their forum that this error was most definitely a php Ver 4 problem. I think GoDaddy is in the process of upgrading my hosting account to php Ver. 5+ so that problem might go away before too long.

I was successful in activating the "Breadcrumb NavXT - Core plugin" but am thinking this is a stripped down version more suited for coders who know what they're doing.

--------EDIT---------------------------------------------------

I can't figure out where I should be inserting the code. The instructions read:

"...Open the appropriate file for your theme (typically header.php). This can be done within WordPress’ administration panel through Presentation > Theme Editor or through your favorite text editor.

<div class="breadcrumb">
<?php
if(function_exists('bcn_display'))
{
bcn_display();
}
?>
</div>"
------------------------------------------------

If I don't have any joy I'll give the Yoast plugin a try and see how that goes.

I will report back here - Thanks -- TTFN -- Jim

Shepherd Jim Feb 27, 2009 10:49 PM

UPdate:

Okay! I had immediate luck with the Yoast Breadcrumbs plugin. I inserted the required code in the index.php file immediately following

<?php get_header(); ?>

I'm wondering if prefacing the breadcrumbs with "You are here:" is necessary in this day and age.

I'm also wondering if I can figure out how to do some CSS styling of the breadcrumbs.

Time for bed! Happy weekend! Jim