Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   [SOLVED] Auto Updating Header Image Loss and Seperate Rotating on MultiSite, MultiNet (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12205)

LANtait Jan 13, 2011 03:16 AM

[SOLVED] Auto Updating Header Image Loss and Seperate Rotating on MultiSite, MultiNet

Atahualpa 3.6.1
WordPress 3.0.4
MultiSite Sub-Domain Mode
WP Multi Network Plugin

I loaded Atahualpa 3.6.1 into WordPress 3.0.4 in MultiSite mode with the WP Multi Network Plugin. It runs a couple dozen sites, with a dozen or so being developed.

Different Sites Same Header Image

The first challenge I ran into is the rotating header images. In multisite they share the same directory. Meaning all sites would have the same images.

Not acceptable for my use.

Automatic Theme Updates Delete the Header Image Folder.

My search for an acceptable answer was also not acceptable.

Today, after I created my own solution, I noticed this thread from yesterday asking the same question. With no solid solution offered.

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...mage#post54473

Standards Compliant

I am also a believer in standards compliance. WordPress has a requirement that all parts of a theme be in the theme folder. Some if the suggestions I have read violate that requirement.

MY SOLUTION

Since I have been making a living writing computer code since before my 10 children and 11 grandchildren were born, I figured I would just spend a few hours and solve this little challenge. The solution is posted on my person programing blog aLAN Tait Net Working!

The permalink is:
WordPress Atahualpa Theme – Different Header Images for MultiSite WP

The Reasoning Behind This Modification
  1. It complies with the WP Standards for Themes
  2. It solves the challenge of Custom Header Images for MultiSites
  3. Custom Images are NOT deleted on Auto Updates.
  4. It is a small easy modification the programmer could make permanent.
  5. It does not break users using single site mode.
  6. Future ready - prepared for Admin Panel Image Updates.

1. It complies with the WP Standards for Themes
WordPress has a requirement that all parts of a theme be in the theme directory.

The WordPress default theme from the WP Core Team, has said that Custom Header Image Files are NOT a part of the Theme. In fact the TwentyTen Theme stores Custom Header Images in different locations in the wp-content/blogs.dir directory. Whereas the default images are stored with the TwentyTen Theme directory.

Following the Core Team's Theme Example, this modification stores the Custom Header Images in different locations withing the wp-content/blogs.dir directory and the default images withing the Atahualpa Theme directory.

2. It solves the challenge of Custom Header Images for MultiSites
Because it provides a unique directory for each sites Header Image, it solved the image challenge for MultiSite Mode and also Multi Networks.

Each Site has full rotational capabilities.

3. Custom Images are NOT deleted on Auto Updates.
Because Custom Header Images are stored outside of the Theme directory the delete and replace problem during Automatic Updates is solved.

4. It is a small easy modification the programmer could make permanent.
This modification just replaces a couple lines of code in one cut and paste operation. If done in a release it will work for single site mode, multisite sub-directory mode, multisite sub-domain mode, and multi Network mode, without any additional modifications.

5. It does not break users using single site mode.
In single site mode it adds the feature that Custom Header Images are not deleted during updates.

6. Future ready - prepared for Admin Panel Image Updates.
Although this was designed with the same concept of uploading Custom Header Images via FTP, the modification was written with the future in mind. If the Theme Author would like to add an upload page to the Admin Panel, it would be possible to used the standard wp_upload_dir() WordPress function to upload / retrieve these Header Image Files easily without having to think about directory structure. The retrieval code is already included and only needs to be uncommented when the upload code is completed.

Atahualpa MultiSite Forum
Is it possible to get an Atahualpa MultiSite Forum. I am planing to spend quite some time modifying Atahualpa to work in MultiSite and Multi Network modes. It is possible to make a Forum for Atahualpa MultiSite Users. I would be willing to support it.

Sincerely,

LAN

LANtait Apr 30, 2011 01:13 AM

The Ultimate WordPress MultiSite, WP Multi Network, Atahualpa Mod which is Version 2.0 is better. It allows site by site uploading of the header files, the logo file and the favicon via the WordPress Image Uploader. No directories need to me made with FTP and no image files need to be uploaded via FTP. Works in All modes from a single site through multi site multi networks.

LANtait Jun 8, 2011 11:18 PM

I have now released the
Atahualpa Easy Header Fix

For Atahualpa 3.6.4 and Atahualpa 3.6.7 :)

The Atahualpa Easy Header Fix has many great features including...
  1. It protects custom header images, logo images and favicons during updates (even automatic updates).
  2. It is backwards compatible with all Atahualpa settings (it breaks no functionality).
  3. It works for Single Sites and Multi Site Sites and WP Multi Network Sites.
  4. It allows automatic updates of Atahualpa (from WordPress.org), which will not delete custom image files (Truly automatic if merged into the Atahualpa code).
  5. It includes uploading all per-site graphics, the headers, the the logo and the favicon.
  6. All image files are uploaded via the WordPress media uploader (no FTP access is needed).
  7. It uses standard WordPress functions to find the upload directory.
  8. It allows Sort and Shuffle modes for Multi Site and Multi Network as well as Single site mode.
  9. It allows Normal Default Settings for Atahualpa to function in a normal way.
  10. It is SMALL (only 22KB download) and makes only nine very tiny changes in five easy to upload files ~ with full documentation.
All in all it is a very nice Fix, super easy to use, stable, and hopefully, it will be considered for permanent inclusion into the Atahualpa Core Code.

Installing the Easy Header Fix
This fix is very stable, powerful and much easier to use! In fact, easy as One, Two, Three!

Atahualpa Easy Header Fix Download Page

Atahualpa Easy Header Fix Complete Instructions
Note: These instructions are Posted HERE!.

The website for this fix (including history and versions) is at:
http://alantait.net/atahualpa/

This is the close of this topic... CONTINUE HERE!

If you use this fix... Think about donating to Juggledad, I've spent time figuring this issue out and coming up with the fix, but Juggledad is here daily supplying support. Being in the Philippines and without paypal, I cannot send money. However, you sending Juggledad a donation will encourage him (and me) to continue to support Atahualpa. You can use the 'Donate to Juggledad' button on the donate page.
Thanks, LAN