Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [SOLVED] Newbie- Would like to edit "the loop" (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=15913)

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Nov 9, 2011 05:47 PM

[SOLVED] Newbie- Would like to edit "the loop"

My site is http://jenniferdawnmclucas.com/

I will apologize upfront for being completely new and not entirely sure how to edit css or php.

-I would like to take the footer widgets I created and move them into the center column of my blog.
-I would like to have a separator image as was discussed here.

I have been trying to find the way to do this and have seen several people referred to an earlier version of Atahualpa. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to find the earlier version that enabled one to edit "the loop" from the ATO on the WP Dashboard. And, if I am currently running Atahualpa 3.6.7 what problems might I face trying to go back to an earlier version?

Thank you very, very much.
Jay.

lmilesw Nov 9, 2011 07:20 PM

You could download an earlier version at wordpress.bytesforall.com. If you use the manual installation procedure you can switch back and forth between versions until you get any issues worked out. It is labled as an upgrade procedure but can be used to install any version of Atahualpa.

juggledad Nov 9, 2011 07:32 PM

Any features new to 3.6.+ will be lost if you switch back. You can edit index.php where the loop now is.

You can also put an image in the page/post footer...

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Nov 10, 2011 11:04 AM

Thanks so much! I installed 3.6.4 and everything seems to have converted correctly except none of my posts are showing up now. Any ideas on how I managed that? You don't have to move your blog posts into the new file, right? They still show up in the WP Dash under Posts...

Thanks for any response on what to do next. While I'm waiting I'll poke around and see if I can figure out the solution myself. ;)

Jay.

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Nov 10, 2011 11:18 AM

Oh yes. I had tried to edit index.php but ended up making an error in line 33 and all that would show up on my site was that there was an error in the index line 33. It was then that I decided maybe I didn't really know as much as I thought I did about editing php, lol. I fixed the problem with the index.php file that I had backed up before I tried editing it myself.

I also tried to use the post footer for my image. While that worked ok what I really want is for the image separator to span the width of the site, not just the width of each post. Basically the line under my blog name is what I'd like to use as the separator, but I've edited it slightly so that it also includes my favicon.

I'm pretty efficient at the design parts, but not so good on the technical side. ;) It's a bummer to have a vision for something and not be able to implement it.

Thanks again,
Jay.

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Nov 10, 2011 01:24 PM

Ok, I'm satisfied with the look I have now. Here's what I did.
  1. I switched back to version 3.6.7. Trying to get my posts back in the older version seemed impossible for someone with my tiny knowledge base. I realized this when I reviewed several posts which mentioned that a WP upgrade had caused this problem in older versions of Atahualpa.
  2. I looked again at this post which explained how to use an image as a separator within the post footer. I had been previously frustrated because my image didn't fit correctly within the post footer box. When I looked closer at what was already in the post footer box I realized there was a line-height encoded that I could adjust to fit my image.

This is the code I now have at ATO>Style Posts & Pages>Footer box
margin: 0;
padding: 5px;
color: #666;
line-height: 55px;
background: url(http://jenniferdawnmclucas.com/wp-co...-copy-copy.png) no-repeat center top;

Someday I'd still like to figure out how to move the widgets in my footer up to the page content, but for now this is working.

Thank you so much for advice that was at my skill level!
Jay.

lmilesw Nov 10, 2011 02:47 PM

There are some plugins that let you add widget areas to posts and pages via a shortcode. You could try a search on wordpress.org

juggledad Nov 10, 2011 02:54 PM

it's actually not so hard. To have them show after all post or page text, just add it before the line, you need to add the new widget area code just before the last line
HTML Code:

<?php get_footer(); ?>

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Nov 10, 2011 04:19 PM

Thank you Larry, I will definitely look into the available plugins.

Thank you Juggledad. I have found the get_footer line in the index.php. Editing the code there sounds simple enough. If I edit the code will I need to continue to edit the index.php each time I upgrade Atahualpa (other forum posts have mentioned this)? Do I need to edit anything in style.css (in ATO>add widget it mentions editing the style.css after editing the index.php)?

Thank you both again very much. You have been extremely helpful. This forum is excellent and I have learned a ton. It's amazing that one can find so much great information for free here. I plan to make a donation so that it can stay that way.

Jay.

juggledad Nov 10, 2011 04:46 PM

Yes you will have to make this change to index.php for each upgrade
Quote:

(in ATO>add widget it mentions editing the style.css after editing the index.php)?
It does? where?

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Nov 10, 2011 08:48 PM

My mistake. The style.css must have been regarding the image separator that I already found a solution for. Sorry.

So I entered this:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=CenterColumn&cells=3&align=9 &width_2=50'); ?>
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=AdSpace'); ?>

Directly over this:
<?php get_footer(); ?>

and this appeared under the older entries link in the center column:
Warning: array_key_exists() [function.array-key-exists]: The second argument should be either an array or an object in /home/jenni143/public_html/wp-content/themes/atahualpa367/functions.php on line 404

Warning: array_key_exists() [function.array-key-exists]: The second argument should be either an array or an object in /home/jenni143/public_html/wp-content/themes/atahualpa367/functions.php on line 404

What did I do wrong?

On the upside, the widgets DID appear with the other widgets in WP! When I put a widget in the widget box it appears below the Warning code. I'm getting closer... :)

juggledad Nov 11, 2011 03:59 AM

Doyou have all the 367 patches applied, actually I'd suggest upgrading to 3.7.1

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Nov 11, 2011 10:58 AM

Ok Juggledad, I upgraded to 3.7.1 as you suggested. I followed the instructions for the manual install, like I did before with 3.6.4. For some reason when I go to ATO now I can't get off the start page. I didn't see any bugfixes for 3.7.1, did I miss them?

Thanks a ton!

Edit:
I did this too
Quote:

Originally Posted by deClench (Post 73506)
My bad. I renamed the uploaded to "atahualpa 3.7.1" to distinguish it from the other versions. Renaming to just "atahualpa" has brought back the formatting.

I'm going back and changing it to just atahualpa now and hopefully that will fix it.

Edit:
I made the change and uploaded again but it hasn't fixed the issue. I am still not able to move from the start page in ATO.

juggledad Nov 11, 2011 11:09 AM

I Keep my versions folders as 'atahualpa353', 'atahualpa367', 'atahualpa371'

Currently, there are no patches for 3.7.1

Are you saying you can't get to any other theme option pages?
Try disabling the plugins you have.

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Nov 11, 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 75549)
Are you saying you can't get to any other theme option pages?
Try disabling the plugins you have.

Right. So if I click the "style widgets" tab, for example, nothing happens. All the tabs show up as normal, I just can't select any of them. The start tab always remains selected. I'll try running through my plugins as you suggested.

The code in index.php is working perfectly now!!! My site looks exactly like had envisioned. I feel like I've learned a ton through the process. I can't believe how incredibly helpful ya'll have been. I've tried help forums in the past and it hasn't worked out well, usually the advice is something way beyond my minute technical ability. It's so nice to find a place that's accustomed to working with beginners and doesn't fault anyone for the steep learning curve. I just can't thank you enough.

Sincerely,
Jay

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Mar 31, 2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 75484)
it's actually not so hard. To have them show after all post or page text, just add it before the line, you need to add the new widget area code just before the last line
HTML Code:

<?php get_footer(); ?>

Things have been going great! But now I've decided I'd like to have a static home page. I know how use Atahualpa to create a static homepage, what I don't know is how to keep my custom widgets from showing up on it. What line of code do I need to add in order to have my custom widgets show up on all pages and posts EXCEPT for my static homepage?

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer

juggledad Mar 31, 2012 03:23 PM

Two oprions, use a plugin like 'widget logic' or use CSS with a 'display:none' targeting the home page. You would start the CSS Selector with 'body.home .........{display:none;}'

jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail Mar 31, 2012 04:20 PM

Excellent! The widget logic plug-in is perfect for what I'm trying to do. Thank you so much!