Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   [SOLVED] Adding social sharing buttons to header (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=20082)

sking Apr 7, 2013 07:42 PM

[SOLVED] Adding social sharing buttons to header

I'd like to add social media sharing buttons (facebook, twitter, Google+, etc...) to the position where the Subscribe to RSS Posts and Comments buttons are located in the header. Is it possible to do that?

lmilesw Apr 7, 2013 08:39 PM

It is possible. You could...
  • Add the proper code to perhaps the Configure Header Area box wrapped in div with an ID and then style with CSS.
  • Add a new widget area to that same box and use a widget in the created widget and style with CSS
There are many ways to accomplish this depending on your level of experience with the theme and CSS.

sking Apr 7, 2013 11:56 PM

...I am new to web designing (and this theme); but am finding it easy to learn. Will try option 2.
I see that "Add new Widget Areas" under ATO seems self-explanatory. Will type back if I run into any glitches...Thanks lmilesw.

sking Apr 8, 2013 01:49 AM

ok...I've added the widget area and a widget. I need some help in finding out how to style it in CSS though...and the location to add the code. I could do it in the css file directly...but I guess it will be reset when I upgrade Atahualpa.

juggledad Apr 8, 2013 02:54 AM

Use the FireBug extension of firefox to examine the code and then add your CSS to the themes 'CSS Inserts' option

sking Apr 8, 2013 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks juggledad....

I have attached a pic of what I want to do.
Basically....I want to replace the search-box <div> with my widget <div> in the same cell.
The problem is....when I disable the search-box in Atahualpa(don't need the searchbox), the <td> get deleted as well. Then my widget <div> gets created as in a new <tr> instead of <td>.... :confused:

juggledad Apr 8, 2013 04:29 AM

1) what is the url
2) where did you add your new widget area

sking Apr 8, 2013 09:09 AM

I put this code "<?php bfa_widget_area('name=SocialSharingButtons&align=3 '); ?>" in the configure header area after %logo.

The result is that the widget appears below the %logo row...whilst I am looking to add a column to the right of the %logo so that I can make use of the space there.

Any ideas? :)

lmilesw Apr 8, 2013 09:49 AM

For positioning as you want I generally set the position for #wrapper or #container to relative and then use absolute position for the the item in question which in your case is the social sharing buttons.

As a subnote you can use spaces between the words in the name attribute. This makes it a bit cleaner when looking at the widgets.

juggledad Apr 8, 2013 11:07 AM

the url???

sking Apr 9, 2013 01:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm doing more research of #wrapper and #container and absolute positioning. Will post back when I'm successful.

canhtt Apr 9, 2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 99154)
It is possible. You could...
  • Add the proper code to perhaps the Configure Header Area box wrapped in div with an ID and then style with CSS.
  • Add a new widget area to that same box and use a widget in the created widget and style with CSS
There are many ways to accomplish this depending on your level of experience with the theme and CSS.

tks, it worked