Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Excerpts, Read more, Pagination (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [SOLVED] static page excerpts on home page (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16930)

aygart Mar 5, 2012 03:30 PM

[SOLVED] static page excerpts on home page

Hi! I'm new to the whole WP thing-like a week- and started with Atahualpa a couple of days ago. Meanwhile I am quite impressed!
I am trying to get a few excerpts from specific static pages side by side under the static text on the welcome page (static as well). I also would like them to be in their own container with a frame/border and different color than the rest of the center column. How can I do that?
My site is lowerwatt.com

lmilesw Mar 5, 2012 03:54 PM

I couldn't get to your site and I am not really sure what you are trying to do but if you are trying to grab bits of text from one page and have them show on another automatically I know of no way to do that.

aygart Mar 6, 2012 08:10 AM

Thanks. I was able to get the header of a different page to show using the supercharged template, but I couldn't get it to format how I liked it. I now have an added widget area in the page footer in which I can just use a text widget an copy/paste from the static pages into them. This is fine since they will be staying the same anyhow. Th eproblem I am having is that I cannot get the text aligned evenly. If you look at the site lowerwatt.com (as far as I can see it is working) you will see that only the middle is along the top of the area. The left one is middle aligned and the right one is bottom aligned.
The code I used is as follows:

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget area&cells=3&align=1&align_2=9&align_3=7&width_4=7 00&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>

I am using Black Studio Tiny MCE widget although I can use a different one if needed.

Also, Is there a way for it to be only on the front page?

Thanks!

lmilesw Mar 6, 2012 09:44 AM

In your new widget code (as shown below) you have the alignment for the first cell set to 1 (center middle), the second cell set to 2 (center top), and the third cell set to 3 (left bottom). If you want them all aligned the same you only need to declare the align function once or if you want to use the default of 2 (center top) you could just leave the align declaration out. For the syntax of the new widget area just read through that section.

You also don't have a unique name for your widget area which could be problematic if you use more than one because of class conflict.

You also have a width set for a fourth cell (which you don't have) set to 700. There is no reason for that declaration.

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget area&cells=3&align=1&align_2=9&align_3=7&width_4=700&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>

aygart Mar 6, 2012 10:02 AM

Perfect! Thanks a ton! I had copied the code from the example on the add new widget area settings page and changed it down to three widgets.

I just noticed that when the mouse is run over them the background tuns grey. How do I get rid of that? How do I change the font color? My impression from the widget settings page is that I cannot place a border/container around the whole widget or just the content without it being the same for all widgets including the sidebar. Is that correct? These are the only text widgets that I plan on using. The image on the side uses "image widget".

lmilesw Mar 6, 2012 10:11 AM

Look in the Style Tables section of the theme options. I often take out much of the code there as it affects items I don't want affected. You could also overwrite with your own CSS if you choose.

aygart Mar 6, 2012 01:40 PM

That's right. I forgot that they will be styled like a table. I was able to get a border around them there as well. Itryed putting a space between them but can't get it right. Alternatively I would really prefer to have the line only between the cells and not on top and bottom or far sides.

This is the code I have in Tble Body Cells:

padding: 4px 8px;
background-color: #ffffff;
border: 1px solid black;
border-spacing: 10px 30px;
text-align: left;

lmilesw Mar 6, 2012 02:15 PM

Instead of putting code in the table section of the theme options try targeting the specific widget area and put the code in the CSS Inserts section of the theme options.

aygart Mar 6, 2012 02:40 PM

For now that is beyond my abilities unless you are able to give me quick insructions how to do it. This is my forth day working with this at all :o I am assuming that would be beyond the scope of this forum. If there is any way to tell the border to be only between cells or a way to make a space between them in the table options I could probably do it. I'm picking it up somewhat since at least the codes mostly make sense even without "speaking the language" ;)

juggledad Mar 6, 2012 02:45 PM

IMHO best way to learn:
1) Take some CSS tutorials (w3schools.com/css or htmldog.com)
2) download and play with the FireBug extension for FireFox
3) play with things and experiment

aygart Mar 6, 2012 02:55 PM

Thanks Tons! I guess I'm doing #3 now!:) I guess this can be called solved since what I have now is adequate.

lmilesw Mar 6, 2012 03:04 PM

To give you an idea of one way to put lines between the three areas here is some CSS you could put in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts which puts a red border on the right of the first and second cells of your widget area. You would of course need to take out the code you added to the table section and change the color and width to your liking.
HTML Code:

#my_widget_area_1, #my_widget_area_2 {
    border-right: 1px solid red;
}

One other thing is your background image is almost 1Mb in size which slows page load. You should optimize it for the web.

aygart Mar 9, 2012 12:50 PM

Thanks! worked like a charm!