Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   [SOLVED] Website Title gets cut off by some image, is there a known fix/suggestions? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18783)

BrianDouglas Oct 27, 2012 04:09 PM

[SOLVED] Website Title gets cut off by some image, is there a known fix/suggestions?

My website for hands on case studies and tips for IM, which you can find in my profile, currently uses the Montezuma theme, and I have a somewhat serious problem. When I use the name "Earn Money Insider", the bottom of the "R" at the end is cut off, and thus the presentation is completely borked.

In order to work around it, I have named the site "EarnMoney Insider", convincing myself that it looks good, and sounds cool when you treat the first part as one word like that, and encouraging my "it's okay" attitude about it by seeing how it matches the headline perfectly... BUT I am not sure if that would hurt me (maybe it will even help :P) with Google. I'm more worried about it looking like poor grammar than caring whether or not something like that could potentially give me an edge or make me slightly more brand-able.

I am not bashing the theme at all, it is awesome for a non-premium theme, and better than a lot of premium themes I've seen. A great gift for the WP community for us who have yet to decide on a premium option.

I guess what I need to know is: What can I change in the back end that will allow me to add that space in between "earn" and "money", without having it cut off the bottom of the last letter in "Insider"?

I want to thank you for making a very excellent theme (the responsive features for mobile and low-resolution readers is amazing), I just wish that I could add that space. I know some basic html and php editing (not coding, just ediitng), but as some of you may know, these themes can be quite "proprietary" with their brilliant use of subtemplates, and I wasn't able to figure out what was being rendered over that "R" on my own.

Thanks so much for any help the forums or the author can give me, it will mean a lot to me, and be one less thing on my mind while migrating and updating my site to the place it now resides.

edit: I've taken a screenshot to show you the problem I am having:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2vb9zes.png

juggledad Oct 27, 2012 04:31 PM

export your settings and attach them to a reply

Jam Oct 27, 2012 04:47 PM

The site title is in the logo-area.

<div id-"logo-area" class="col5">

.col5 {
width: 400px;
}

BrianDouglas Oct 27, 2012 05:04 PM

Thank you Jam, I will take a look at that, and it looks like it is just what I needed.

I made another screen, this time the element itself. It is at this point probably useless for me, but for others with the problem in the future, they can see a visual representation of what is going on:

http://i46.tinypic.com/nwh20p.png

Thank you both for your swift responses. And juggledad, if this doesn't work out for me, I'll go ahead and bring the settings back for you bud. =)

BrianDouglas Oct 27, 2012 05:37 PM

Okay, so, it appears that I found that the logo area in the layout.css which is for the logo itself and bears a margin of 20px, I dropped it to 0 before looking for where the div is and the problem is fixed. I will take a look on mobile and see if it has any new issues or if the offset is too noticeable, but I'm pretty sure it will be just fine:

#logo-area {
margin-left: 0px;
}

Jam Oct 28, 2012 12:17 AM

All you did was give yourself 20px by cutting a margin. That's fine because it fixed that problem now, but if you had a longer title, same problem would be back because the logo area appears to be set to 400px.
To fix the problem you need to remove the width applied to site title, which is in the logo-area.

Use a code inspector, my preference is Chrome, right click and "Inspect element", to see what you need to clear to fix it properly. To test, give yourself a longer site title, then work out how to make it display without getting cut off.

Code inspectors ftw.

juggledad Oct 28, 2012 02:53 PM

One way to fix this is to increase the number of columns the logo area takes up and decrease the number that the menu takes up. Remember you hav to think responsive here. The changes would take place in the 'header.php' sub-template.

BrianDouglas Oct 28, 2012 05:40 PM

Thank you for the added input, I will keep both shares in mind as I begin to customize. Responsive is really taking over. That was the main reason I fell for this theme. I'm currently looking around for people talking about the SEO qualities, and things one should change, about this theme. If either of you have any tips or can point me in the right direction for that, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again JuggleDad and Jam!

rosetrees Nov 3, 2012 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've moved the menubar so that it sits underneath the logo area, that way I don't have problems with the menu overlaying the text. I also commented out the sprites so the menu doesn't take up too much vertical space. See attached.
With practice, Brian, you can turn this theme into anything you want. I'm still learning. I found an awesome, responsive, slider plug-in which works well at the top of sites - Soliloquy Lite

miklasz Nov 17, 2012 10:26 AM

Use z-index for title move txt over the picture, worked for me :)

Billie J Feb 26, 2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetrees (Post 92250)
I've moved the menubar so that it sits underneath the logo area, that way I don't have problems with the menu overlaying the text. I also commented out the sprites so the menu doesn't take up too much vertical space. See attached.
With practice, Brian, you can turn this theme into anything you want. I'm still learning. I found an awesome, responsive, slider plug-in which works well at the top of sites - Soliloquy Lite

I took a look at Soliloquy Lite, and it does not look like it is compatible with my site. Do you have any other recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

juggledad Feb 27, 2013 03:51 AM

Billie J
1) to 'hijack' a thread is poor forum practice
2) you don't specify enough information - your url, the issue with the plugin and website title getting cut off on your site is, why is the plugin not compatibale.

Open an new thread and provide enough information.