Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Placing widgets on pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=330)

michael1 Jan 27, 2010 06:48 AM

I tried placing the code shown in the function.php file.

I now have the following error...

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/michae78/public_html/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/functions.php on line 63

Please Help!!!

juggledad Jan 27, 2010 10:44 AM

please paste the code 10 lines before and after line 63. This looks like a syntax or typo error

juggledad Jan 27, 2010 10:53 AM

Have you thought of just putting the new widget code into the ATO->Edit POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS->KICKER: "Page" Pages?

geektink Jan 27, 2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 23926)
Have you thought of just putting the new widget code into the aot->Edit POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS->KICKER: "Page" Pages?

Could you please explain this in more depth?
Thanks in advance.

georgiamarie Mar 1, 2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geektink (Post 23929)
Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 23926)
Quote:

Originally Posted by geektink (Post 23604)
Can you add center widgets to other pages besides the front page?

Have you thought of just putting the new widget code into the aot->Edit POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS->KICKER: "Page" Pages?

Could you please explain this in more depth?
Thanks in advance.

I think I have a similar request. I want the 'Archives' widget to be displayed in the main content column on a Page I have created called 'Archives' which also has some text on it.

I understand how to create additional areas to dump the widgets (eg sidebar 3 type thing) as explained earlier in tjhis thread. But I want to know if I can get this 'sidebar 3' to show up in the content area of one page, and one page only, that is not the front page.

Anyone know how? :)

juggledad Mar 2, 2010 04:44 AM

there are several ways you can put a widget in the content area of a page
one way is to put a new widget area in the KICKER or BYLINE or FOOTER "Page" Pages area
you could also add it to the center area as explained in the New Widgits Option area

To only have the widget display on a single page, you will need to add eithor some logic to prevent the display on other pages or a CSS Selector to only display it on one page.

Tesha May 27, 2010 11:12 AM

So I have my new widget, and have inserted new CSS and the designer wants it placed in the center at the top and for it to be able to be excluded on some pages.

never mind... I got it..

chipcain May 27, 2010 12:48 PM

I'm a bit baffled. I have read through all the post in this thread and can't find what I think I need. I am running Atahualpa 3.4.9 and WordPress 3.0-beta2-14960.

I created a widget area in my footer and added NextGen Widget Gallery. The widget works fine but I can't seem to be able to center the widget to the page. Here is the link: http://hcc.creativeashes.com/

I am trying to develope something a lot prettier than what we have now: http://www.harrisburgcameraclub.com/hcc/home.asp

Any help here will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chip

lmilesw May 27, 2010 12:56 PM

There may be other ways but putting the following in CSS Inserts should work.
HTML Code:

.ngg-widget, .ngg-widget-slideshow {
text-align:center;
}

[moderator note: I changed 'text-align:center:' to 'text-align:center;' to prevent future readers from getting the error described in the next couple of posts]

chipcain May 27, 2010 01:07 PM

Thanks for such a quick response Larry. I'm a bit embarrased to admit that I am not familiar where I can place this bit of HTML code? I tried to place in within the HTML insert options provided in the theme settings but none seem to fix my problem.

lmilesw May 27, 2010 01:17 PM

It's in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts

chipcain May 27, 2010 01:40 PM

That is where I thought it should go, but it doesn't seem to work, irregardless of the HTML Inserts sections I place it in (Header, Body Tag, Body Top or Body Bottom).

Hmmm

lmilesw May 27, 2010 01:45 PM

You have to put it in the last section under Body Bottom called CSS Inserts

chipcain May 27, 2010 02:02 PM

Ahah! Once I corrected your colon after "Center" to a semi-colon it worked as you said it would.

Thanks bunches Larry, your help is greatly appreciated.

lmilesw May 27, 2010 02:29 PM

I hate typos like that... Sorry

chipcain May 27, 2010 06:11 PM

Well, typos aside your help was just that.

Now I have tested the code against Firefox and Chrome which seems to be ignoring the html code. IE8 works just fine. Any thoughts anyone?

chipcain May 27, 2010 06:47 PM

I figured it out:at least it seems so.

I had taken out the ".ngg-widget-slideshow" figuring I only wanted the widget. When I added it back in all is working just fine: wierd.

lmilesw May 27, 2010 07:08 PM

What you are doing with that code is centering the slideshow within the widget. That's why you needed that other code.

lblblog Aug 13, 2010 04:06 PM

any recommendations for a plugin to make a custom widget in the body of a page?

lmilesw Aug 13, 2010 07:33 PM

How about the Widgets on Pages plugin?

robertdowne Nov 1, 2010 01:06 PM

I've been following this thread as I was looking to do something similar. I didn't know about the Widgets On Pages plugin.

That could be very useful. :)