Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   [SOLVED] A few problems I've been having... (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18487)

danielmckay Sep 26, 2012 11:27 PM

[SOLVED] A few problems I've been having...

Your theme doesn’t say who the author was on any posts. We are a multi-author blog and this is pretty important. Is there code I can change to add the author to the post?

When I follow the instructions to change icons (menu1, menu2) by changing the second number (px). I put that in the css code on montezuma options at the bottom, and i don't see any change after pressing save. I've also tried putting .page-(whatever) instead and it still didn't work. here is an example of the code
Can someone walk me through this? I have pages that I want to change the stars.

I have this:
/* Part 1- for default state: */
#menu1 .page-about > a > i { background-position: 0px -2352px; }
#menu1 .page-blogging > a > i { background-position: 0px -1104px; }
#menu1 .page-business-ideas > a > i { background-position: 0px -1344px; }
#menu1 .page-economics > a > i { background-position: 0px -888px; }
#menu1 .page-politics > a > i { background-position: 0px -1464px; }
/* Part 2 - for hover state: */
#menu1 .page-about:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-about.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -2352px; }
#menu1 .page-blogging:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-blogging.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -1104px; }
#menu1 .page-business-ideas:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-business-ideas.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -1344px; }
#menu1 .page-economics:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-economics.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -888px; }
#menu1 .page-politics:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-politics.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -1464px; }

Does it also matter, it appears there are some defaults that I dont have (such as contact us etc.) further up on menu1

Also, is there a way to change the width of the columns? I would like the middle column (where the posts are) to be wider, thus leaving a little less white space on either side.

Thank you kindly for your support.

juggledad Sep 27, 2012 03:51 AM

What is the URL?

danielmckay Sep 27, 2012 09:01 PM

http://ideafart.com

thank you!

lmilesw Sep 27, 2012 09:22 PM

Take a look in the PHP Limited Code drop down at the top of the theme options page. There is code in there for the author and suggestions on where to place it. In the CSS Settings>Choose CSS Grid there are instructions on setting column widths.

danielmckay Sep 27, 2012 10:51 PM

Thanks! I have got the author changed.

Still working on the page icons and the width. I can't figure out the column width for the life of me. The instructions don't tell you where to put the code - I've searched. I found the grid files using FTP but don't think i'm supposed to edit those. I cannot find where to put this code or edit, searching for "row" doesn't lead to anything meaningful on the css files.

juggledad Sep 28, 2012 05:12 AM

column width depends on the css you apply to the element. Read teh doc at MTZ->CSS Settings->Editing CSS and ifthat isn't clear enough - do a google search on responsive themes and read about them - it is a different way of thinking when building your layout

here is a small example, remember the site is broken into 12 columns. if you want a 3 column left sidebar, a 7 column center area and a 2 column right sidebar, you would use
HTML Code:

<div class="row">
  <div class="col3">...column on the left, 3 "units" wide...</div>
  <div class="col7">...column in the middle, 7 "units" wide...</div>
  <div class="col2">...column on the right, 2 "units" wide...</div>
</div>

(remember it has to add to 12) if you wanted 1 column, 4 column, 2 column 5 column you would use
HTML Code:

<div class="row">
  <div class="col1">...column on the left, 1 "units" wide...</div>
  <div class="col4">...column in the middle, 4 "units" wide...</div>
  <div class="col2">...column on the right, 2 "units" wide...</div>
  <div class="col5">...column on the right, 5 "units" wide...</div>
</div>

hope that helps

danielmckay Sep 28, 2012 02:52 PM

thank you, I will look into it!

Do you have suggestions for the pages icons. I have read the css instructions, appended the edited code into the css menu1 file and pressed save.. the icons do not change. i have the code I used above. I have also tried putting .page-(pagename) and that did not solve the problem.

danielmckay Sep 28, 2012 10:15 PM

I've tried the other solutions proposed here and nothing is working - I check the source code and menu1 still shows the old menu without my pasted code...

Here is what I do:

Create menu = link it to menu 1 and add my pages

Go to the CSS setting and replace the 2nd px numbers.

Go to CSS menus_menu1 and paste this code:
#menu1 .cat-blogging > a > i { background-position: 0px -1104px; }
#menu1 .page-entrepreneurship > a > i { background-position: 0px -1344px; }
#menu1 .page-politics > a > i { background-position: 0px -1464px; }
#menu1 .page-economics > a > i { background-position: 0px -888px; }
#menu1 .page-about > a > i { background-position: 0px -2352px; }

#menu1 .cat-blogging:hover > a > i, #menu1 .cat-blogging.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -1104px; }
#menu1 .page-entrepreneurship:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-entrepreneurship.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -1344px; }
#menu1 .page-politics:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-politics.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -1464px; }
#menu1 .page-economics:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-economics.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -888px; }
#menu1 .page-about:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-about.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -2352px; }

press save.. clear cache refresh page... nothing... view source nothing changed.

danielmckay Sep 28, 2012 10:22 PM

also tried changing from page to cat and vice-a-versa.. no change.. the source page doesnt update.

juggledad Sep 29, 2012 04:34 AM

change
{ background-position: -24px -1104px; }
to
{ background-position: 0 -1104px; }

danielmckay Sep 29, 2012 02:26 PM

I changed all of them.. appears nothing happened. The source code still doesn't show an updated menu1

danielmckay Sep 29, 2012 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess I have ran into a bigger problem ---

Some users are complaining that the images on the home page cover text and tabs.

The problem doesn't carry over to the post page.

I have attached a screenshot

how would I go about fixing this?

juggledad Sep 29, 2012 06:52 PM

first, you should always turn off caching plugins when you are making changes if you wish to see the changes right away.

see what happens if you shut off the caching plugin.

danielmckay Sep 29, 2012 07:09 PM

I figured it out (I had to backup - then copy into the css file directly from file manager)

What about the image over text?

juggledad Oct 8, 2012 05:34 AM

see PATCH 113-01: featured images behave 'strangely' may cover text, not show till hover

danielmckay Oct 10, 2012 04:57 PM

That did it, solved.