Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [SOLVED] Upgrading from 3.4.4 to 3.6.4 and to WP 3.1 (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12992)

PrairieProg Feb 25, 2011 02:58 PM

[SOLVED] Upgrading from 3.4.4 to 3.6.4 and to WP 3.1

I'm hoping to avoid confusing myself as I search the forums. I'm using ATA 3.4.4 on WP 3.0.5 and want to upgrade both. Three basic areas of concern:

1. Any problems or anything special I should do in jumping from 3.4.4 to 3.6.4 or am I "safe" following the manual upgrade instructions in juggledad's FAQ?

2. How do I get my theme options/modifications from 3.4.4 into 3.6.4 given the former doesn't have an export feature? Are there files or folders in the 3.4.4. folder (or in my database) I can copy into 3.6.4 to do that or do I need to write down my options and set them manually in the new version?

3. Upgrade WP first and then ATA or vice versa?

Hope questions aren't too dumb. I know just little enough to make myself dangerous when mucking around with my database.

lmilesw Feb 25, 2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieProg (Post 58991)
I'm hoping to avoid confusing myself as I search the forums. I'm using ATA 3.4.4 on WP 3.0.5 and want to upgrade both. Three basic areas of concern:

1. Any problems or anything special I should do in jumping from 3.4.4 to 3.6.4 or am I "safe" following the manual upgrade instructions in juggledad's FAQ?

2. How do I get my theme options/modifications from 3.4.4 into 3.6.4 given the former doesn't have an export feature? Are there files or folders in the 3.4.4. folder (or in my database) I can copy into 3.6.4 to do that or do I need to write down my options and set them manually in the new version?

3. Upgrade WP first and then ATA or vice versa?

Hope questions aren't too dumb. I know just little enough to make myself dangerous when mucking around with my database.

1. The manual upgrade instructions should work fine.

2. The theme modifications should transfer just fine with the manual upgrade. If they don't or you get a blank screen just switch back to 3.4.4 and post your issue on the forum. Being able to switch back is one of the benefits of the manual upgrade.

3. I don't think it makes much difference but I would do ATA first just "because".

paulae Feb 25, 2011 04:13 PM

I've done the theme upgrade first and then WP on a few sites, and the other way around on others. I always do a database backup first in either case. Usually, I wait and do any plugin updates after the theme and WP updates. So far, no problems, but my hosting company, hostgator.com, doesn't seem to have any built-in issues.

PrairieProg Feb 27, 2011 09:51 AM

Thanks. Did ATA first and then WP and am happy to report it appears everything went off without a hitch.