Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [SOLVED] Posts not displaying (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16766)

Webunet Feb 15, 2012 08:52 AM

[SOLVED] Posts not displaying

For some reason, none of my posts are displaying, website http://www.logcabindirectory.com/blog/

My settings are to display the latest post.

I removed a Menu plugin I had installed that was causing issues with my pages and reverted to standard WP menu.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

lmilesw Feb 15, 2012 11:28 AM

Just to be sure... What are the setting in Settings>Reading?

juggledad Feb 15, 2012 02:14 PM

something in your last post is causing an error in wordpress. make it a draft.

Did you by any chance do a copy/paste from a word document - that gives wordpress fits.

Webunet Feb 16, 2012 08:06 AM

Hey Juggledad,

My Settings>Reading - Your latest posts

I removed my last post per your suggestion, but that didn't change anything. Still seeing no posts. Strange...I was seeing different things in browsers. Firefox & Chrome showing the menu, header, sidebars but no posts. MSIE was showing same, but post would come & go. Purged caches, opened/closed browsers, still erratic behavior.

I thought WP might be the culprit so I re-installed WP. No change.

Was using a menu plugin (UberMenu), but that seemed to be choking pages...every other page view required a refresh. So, I removed that & deleted it. Sometime after that is when I started seeing that the posts were not displaying.

lmilesw Feb 16, 2012 08:39 AM

In your first post you mention you are using the standard WordPress menu. Do you mean you have a menu created in Appearance>Menus? If so then make sure the home menu is accurate. You may also want to try setting permalinks to default, save, and set back to what you currently have.

Bottom line is to go through the various theme and WordPress settings, take a look at your recent posts in the html view for bad code.

Webunet Feb 16, 2012 09:15 AM

Yes, I have a menu created in Appearance>Menus. I even created another menu to see if that would display properly. The menu displays. The center column with the posts shows nothing.

I changed permalinks back to default, saved and tried to view - same problem. I changed them back to my custom setting.

Recent posts' HTML looks clean.

Can you think of anything else that might be causing this? I have 300+ posts in this blog and it gets decent traffic. I hate being down :-)

Webunet Feb 16, 2012 09:26 AM

Does this help?... When I click any of the recent posts (L-hand sidebar bottom) or the "About" tab (which is a local page) nothing appears in the center column - just like recent posts. So is my issue focused on some glitch with the center column? The only code in the ATA Center Column Style is - padding: 0px 15px;

juggledad Feb 16, 2012 09:50 AM

Change the last couple of post to draft, i think it has something to do with the posts
and you may want to shut off your cashing
also try disabling ALL your plugins

Webunet Feb 16, 2012 05:21 PM

Hey Juggledad,

I changed the last 3 posts to drafts. That didn't change anything. Still not seeing any posts or pages in the center column.

I really appreciate your suggestions, do you have another rabbit in that hat?

lmilesw Feb 16, 2012 05:30 PM

Have you tried deactivating ALL plugins to see if is related to one of them?

Webunet Feb 16, 2012 05:40 PM

No, I have not and I'll try that next. I'll let you know. Thank you.

juggledad Feb 16, 2012 06:25 PM

You have a caching plugin that could be still serving the broken pages. Clear the cache and diable the plugin and test aagain.

Webunet Feb 16, 2012 09:19 PM

No luck Juggledad, I am really perplexed. Plugins deactivated, 3 recent posts converted to drafts, re-installed WP... what's left?

juggledad Feb 17, 2012 02:26 AM

Send me a PM with an admin id/pw and I'll take a look

The other thing to do is look at your sites error log to see what error is being shown. You could also add the The wp debug flag to the wp-config.php to force the errors to show on the screen.

juggledad Feb 18, 2012 04:07 AM

So...did you by any chance edit any of the theme code??? like header.php perhaps?
say by adding in a line of code at the end that calls uberMenu_easyIntegrate? (I fixed it and the site is running)

when I looked at your error log it is filled with
HTML Code:

18-Feb-2012 10:42:47] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function uberMenu_easyIntegrate() in /mnt/Target01/341443/344923/yourdomain.com/web/content/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/header.php on line 124
header.php is only 123 lines long. at 124 you have
HTML Code:

<?php uberMenu_easyIntegrate(); ?>
This would work as long as the plugin was active, but when you shut off the plugin, you start getting the error.

if you want to add something like that in you should always be coded like this
HTML Code:

<?php if (function_exists('uberMenu_easyIntegrate')) { uberMenu_easyIntegrate(); } ?>
to test for the functions existance before calling it

lmilesw Feb 18, 2012 06:59 AM

I use Ubermenu for several sites. You don't need that code to integrate UberMenu. That code is only for use with themes that don't support the WordPress 3 Custom Menus.

Webunet Feb 18, 2012 08:12 AM

I added no code for Ubermenu, strange that it crashed my system after I removed it. Go figure.

Gentlemen, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for all of your effort. I donated to you 1-2 years ago because of the excellent product you created, but I never dreamed I'd need - or receive this most excellent support.

Thank you VERY much,

Tom