Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How do I create a widget to put in the center column? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=17521)

tbaxter May 10, 2012 02:11 PM

How do I create a widget to put in the center column?

How do I make a widget that I can place in the content area of the site (the center column)? Your instructions say,
"Style & edit CENTER COLUMN: Put the code into ANY of the text areas EXCEPT the first one, named "Center column style". "
Problem is, there IS NO other area. So where does it go?

juggledad May 10, 2012 02:17 PM

you have to put the code in index.php due to the wordpress restrictions. (search the forums if you want more about that)

tbaxter May 14, 2012 12:47 AM

Hmm... Realized after the fact that what I need is two widgets called to the content area of the home page only... Is that possible? Can you call a widget with shortcode?

juggledad May 14, 2012 01:09 AM

Check out 'widget logic' or 'dynamic widget' plugins

tbaxter May 14, 2012 01:27 AM

Unfortunately they just control which widgets show up when-they still have to be in sidebars.

Other options?

juggledad May 14, 2012 06:23 AM

You can put a widget area in the center area using the 'New Widget Area' code. You can then control when the widgets in this area show up using 'Widget logic'

There may even be plugins that allow you to display the widget on a particular page. You should play with some pluging and see which works best for you.

lmilesw May 14, 2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbaxter (Post 85044)
Can you call a widget with shortcode?

There is at least one plugin that does that.

PainFreeComputing Dec 1, 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 85055)
You can put a widget area in the center area using the 'New Widget Area' code...

Please clarify this. I'm using Atahualpa 3.7.9. The template's instructions are self-contradictory. I go to "Atahualpa Theme Options" | "Add new WIDGET AREAS" and I'm told to "Put the code into ANY of the text areas EXCEPT the first one, named "Center column style"." I go to the "Style & edit CENTER COLUMN" tab, and I'm told that this is no longer allowed due to limitations of WordPress.

I'm not a complete dummy, and I can see
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggledad
you have to put the code in index.php due to the wordpress restrictions. (search the forums if you want more about that)

But that was from 2009. If it's still true, why does the theme options "Add new WIDGET AREAS" page still have obsolete info?

One of the reasons I chose Atahualpa was its ability to retain customizations in the database, so that they are not lost with every theme upgrade. Editing individual files is NOT an option.

So, is there a solution for those of us who need a custom theme area, that does not require manual edits to theme files?

Thanks.
Jack

juggledad Dec 1, 2012 11:44 AM

That is an error in the documentation on the page. While it once was true and The LOOP' was part of the theme options, a WordPress requirement (back in early 2011) that themes are not allowed to use the php 'eval()' function caused the loss of that ability.

Since then, if you want a new widget area in the center area, you have to edit 'index.php' :(
I will notify the developer and change the documentation for the next release.

PainFreeComputing Dec 1, 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 93230)
That is an error in the documentation on the page. While it once was true and The LOOP' was part of the theme options, a WordPress requirement (back in early 2011) that themes are not allowed to use the php 'eval()' function caused the loss of that ability.

Since then, if you want a new widget area in the center area, you have to edit 'index.php' :(
I will notify the developer and change the documentation for the next release.

Thanks, that would be great.

So now that that's confirmed, does anybody know of a plugin that will accomplish this? I'm trying Widget Shortcode, but it does not seem to work at all. I'll follow up on that via its support forum.

Jack