Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Forum How-To (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to change the way comments replies are displayed (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1878)

eftim Jun 2, 2009 09:42 AM

How to change the way comments replies are displayed

I would like to change the way comments replies are displayed on my website. Here is an example of how my comments are displayed by the time I am writing this post:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5148/test1.png

As you can see the second reply is displayed below the first one. But itīs obviously been sent after the first one. Well, I would like to have my newest replies displayed above the older ones rather than below them.

Thank you very much for giving me the solution

juggledad Jun 2, 2009 12:39 PM

this is a Wordpress option. See: dashboard->settings->Discuession->Comments should be displayed with the xxx comments at the top of each page

eftim Jun 8, 2009 03:25 PM

It may be a WordPress option but itīs not where you say it is. I asked on the WordPress forum and havenīt got any answer so far, turned back to you again. I really want to change this WP option and donīt know what to do. Researched Google for an answer but didnīt find any. No plugin solves this problem either...

juggledad Jun 9, 2009 02:49 AM

What version of WordPress?? At dashboard->settings->Discuession is a section called 'Other Comments Settings' the last line says:
HTML Code:

Comments should be displayed with the [b]xxxxxx[/b] comments at the top of each page
Where XXXXX is eithor 'older' or 'newer' - Have you tried setting it to Newer?
------------
As an aside - most forums are supported by unpaid volunteers - including this one. I don't work for Flynn, I'm volunteering my time and once in a while, someone is giving me a donation. I don't have to do this and can pick and choose. I also look to see who has given donations, they get higher priority.

eftim Jun 9, 2009 04:50 PM

Itīs 2.7.1 version of WP.

I have changed the option to "newer" and itīs still the same thing. The replies, not the comments themselves, but the replies to the coments that have been sent later are still going under (below) the repies that have been sent earlier. So if someone has replied a comment at 12:01 his comment will always be staying above all the later later replies. It will stay upon a reply that has been sent at 13:15 for instance. I want to change this. I need the newer replies go above the older ones.

juggledad Jun 9, 2009 07:24 PM

Are you using a plugin to get replies to the comments??

eftim Jun 9, 2009 10:05 PM

No, iīm not.

juggledad Jun 10, 2009 04:29 AM

Ok, this is not a Atahualpa controled issue. The theme makes a call to wp_list_comments (which is in wp-includes/comments-template.php) and that is the code that produces the comments in the manner you see. This is the code that would have to be changed to do what you want.

You might also investigate to see if there is a plugin that might do what you want

eftim Jun 10, 2009 07:57 AM

Thatīs the code I see there

function wp_list_comments($args = array(), $comments = null ) {
global $wp_query, $comment_alt, $comment_depth, $comment_thread_alt, $overridden_cpage, $in_comment_loop;

$in_comment_loop = true;

$comment_alt = $comment_thread_alt = 0;
$comment_depth = 1;

$defaults = array('walker' => null, 'max_depth' => '', 'style' => 'ul', 'callback' => null, 'end-callback' => null, 'type' => 'all',
'page' => '', 'per_page' => '', 'avatar_size' => 32, 'reverse_top_level' => null, 'reverse_children' => '');

$r = wp_parse_args( $args, $defaults );

What should I change :) Or I may have to add some code?

Flynn Jun 11, 2009 05:27 AM

You probably have to change 'reverse_children' => '' to 'reverse_children' => 1

It should also work if you add

"reverse_children" => 1,

to the array of options of wp_list_comments in the Atahualpa file comments.php, or see if the call of wp_list_comments is in functions/bfa_custom_comments.php... I don't have the theme files with me at the moment

eftim Jun 11, 2009 03:42 PM

You probably have to change 'reverse_children' => '' to 'reverse_children' => 1

This didnīt work :(