Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Align menu bar links (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=9196)

Craig Atkinson Aug 26, 2010 05:26 AM

Align menu bar links

Is there a way of aligning the links on menu bars left rather than center?
see here: http://www.caferoyalbooks.com
the links are to the right of the blog title, I'd like them in line on the left side.

lmilesw Aug 26, 2010 09:50 AM

Look at the menu section in the theme options.

Craig Atkinson Aug 26, 2010 10:48 AM

I did, that's why I asked, I can't find an option

lmilesw Aug 26, 2010 03:04 PM

You use %pages instead of %page-center or %page-right. If you are using %pages you have other issues.

Craig Atkinson Aug 26, 2010 03:45 PM

I'm sorry I mustn't have been clear about what I need. When using %pages the links align left by default. However, each link text is in the center of a tab. I want to know how to left align the text within the tab, to bring the first letter inline with the blog title, rather than about 5px to the right.

lmilesw Aug 26, 2010 04:05 PM

Sorry... Now I understand. Try adding the following to ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts
HTML Code:

ul#rmenu2 {margin-right:25px;}

Craig Atkinson Aug 28, 2010 12:35 AM

Hm, didn't seem to do anything.
If you look at my page links at the top, they are set in about 10px compared to the left edge of the blog title, 'Café Royal Books'. I'd like the left edge of the page menu link to be aligned / flush with the left edge of the blog title.

At present it looks like when you add a page link it sets itself in a tab with a 10px padding, I need to be able to change that padding.

Site

lmilesw Aug 28, 2010 07:42 AM

Now I'm confused again. I'm seeing a right aligned menu like in this screenshot. I'm not sure what padding you are talking about to line up with the blog title.

Craig Atkinson Aug 28, 2010 02:18 PM

Yeah sorry, I moved it back to the right. It doesn't matter so much any more but you can see what I mean on the right too.

Look at the right end of the bar in the header. Look at where the links finish, approx. 5px in from the end. I just wanted to know how to get the link right up to the end of the bar.

lmilesw Aug 28, 2010 03:21 PM

OK let's try again. How about
If the menu is right aligned use
HTML Code:

div#menu1 {margin-right:10px;}
OR
If the menu is left aligned use
HTML Code:

div#menu1 {margin-left:10px;}
And if neither of those work for some reason add !important after the margin as here
HTML Code:

div#menu1 {margin-right:10px !important;}

aravere Oct 18, 2010 08:42 PM

Hi- I was following the thread and making changes, but I'm not sure if I'm in the same boat. I like my main (parent) menu centered, but would like the dropdown submenus flush left, not centered like the parent menu. Possible?

Here's my site: www.timothychambers.com/wordpress.

Thanks! BTW- love this theme and forum; the more I plug away at this the easier it becomes and makes more sense. Thanks again for your patience w all of us. :)

lmilesw Oct 18, 2010 08:53 PM

You could left align the text in the sub menus by adding the following to ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts
HTML Code:

.sub-menu {
text-align:left;
}

aravere Oct 18, 2010 09:08 PM

That worked...now how do I indent the text so that it's still a bit indented compared to the centered parent menu tabs? :)

www.timothychambers.com/wordpress (take a peek) Thanks again!

lmilesw Oct 18, 2010 09:26 PM

Use left padding

aravere Oct 19, 2010 09:02 AM

Left padding- I'm still trying to understand what to do when you guys suggest adding code or manipulating it (such as "add left padding"!). So...where and how do I do this? I.e., how do I add only left padding as opposed to both left and right? Is there a standard sequence when it comes to padding numbers? Is it always left, right, top, bottom, or something like that? Thx again :)

lmilesw Oct 19, 2010 09:26 AM

Padding and much of styling for Atahualpa is all just CSS. for instance in your situation adding left padding means changing the code I previously gave you to .
HTML Code:

.sub-menu {
padding-left: 5px;
}

The 5px may need to be changed to your liking however.

To get the most out of Atahualpa it is important to become familiar with CSS. The place I recommend is w3schools.com.

aravere Oct 19, 2010 10:06 AM

Thanks for another quick response. I added that to CSS, but no difference (see the "Instruction" menu tab at www.timothychambers.com/wordpress). Here's what I have at ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts:

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:link,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:visited,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:active
{
padding: 4px 10px;
}

.sub-menu {
padding-left: 20px;
}
What am I missing here that it's not working?

lmilesw Oct 19, 2010 11:08 AM

My bad... Didn't test that one. Try adding !important as below and see if that gives you what you want.
HTML Code:

.sub-menu {
padding-left: 5px !important;
}

aravere Oct 19, 2010 12:19 PM

Yep, that worked! Apparently, !important is important. (don't know why, but obviously you do) :)

Thx for your help. I'll be making a donation to your account!

lmilesw Oct 19, 2010 12:40 PM

The !important is for situations where you need to overwrite other CSS. The !important says "USE THIS" instead of whatever else is there.