Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sticky footer not working on certain pages, plugin clash/error (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16112)

lakewooditsupport Nov 27, 2011 12:14 PM

Sticky footer not working on certain pages, plugin clash/error

I need a little help on this one, I have sticky footer enabled and it works perfectly except on pages where I have used display widget plug-in to display certain side menus.

I have tried searching through the CSS but I don't really know what I'm looking for on this one.

Could someone give me a little help or let me know what CSS to use to stick the footer?

to see the error click on bio mass tab on the site below and the footer doesn't stick as it does on the rest of the site.

SITE

lmilesw Nov 27, 2011 01:18 PM

The site is in maintenance mode.

lakewooditsupport Nov 27, 2011 01:35 PM

Sorry its open now.

lmilesw Nov 27, 2011 02:06 PM

I don't see any problem. Can you explain more.

lakewooditsupport Nov 28, 2011 12:23 PM

The problem occurs when you click on say the biomass link at the top, it takes you to a new page that has a different side menu (using display widget plugin) on the pages that show the different side bar the footer doesn't stick to the bottom of the page.

The rest of the site works fine though.

juggledad Nov 28, 2011 12:37 PM

The way the sticky footer works is a jscript gets the height of the header, footer, and the layout as a whole then adjusts the height of the middle area if (layout height + body padding-top + body padding-bottom) is smaller than the height of browser viewport.

My guess is that the other plugin is changing these values but they are not being reflected when the jscript requests their values.

Your going to have to talk to the plugin author about this :(

lakewooditsupport Nov 28, 2011 01:30 PM

Okay thanks anyway guys,

I have seen methods to use CSS to fix the footer at the bottom, can these be used and has anyone tried them with atahualpa?

lakewooditsupport Nov 29, 2011 06:27 AM

Okay sorry to keep at this guys, I have found the cause of the problem.

The menu on the home page doesn't expand the page height when expanded, but the menu on the biomass page does. This causes a variable page height on the biomass page and that seems to trigger the problem with the footer sticking when the height varies.

is this still likely to be caused by the menu? I can't seem to find the error in the php?

lmilesw Nov 29, 2011 06:32 AM

What browser are you using?

juggledad Nov 29, 2011 06:42 AM

hmmmm it seems to be working...

lakewooditsupport Nov 29, 2011 07:10 AM

I'm using mozilla, its working atm because I took a load of menu items out to stop it expanding beyond the page height.

this is a great example of the problem however. I will add the menu items back and you can see how it no longer sticks.

I imagine its a simple error in the js but I can't identify it.

lakewooditsupport Nov 29, 2011 07:12 AM

okay try again now and see how with the extra items the footer no longer sticks.

Thanks for taking the time to look guys.

lakewooditsupport Nov 29, 2011 07:26 AM

the writer of the code said this:

"The menu js cant be overwriting the sticky footer js as the menu doesnt add any code, which can interfere with footer.

The problem appears to be that the footer height is determined when the page first loads but does not change the height if anything on the page changes, such as the height of the content. The footer js needs to be modified to listen out for these kind of events."

juggledad Nov 29, 2011 08:17 AM

so ask him how he would suggest fixing this?
what is the plugin?

lakewooditsupport Nov 29, 2011 09:27 AM

the plugin is jQuery Vertical Accordion Menu link

He said I need to modify the atahualpa footer js so it varies the height, I'm not very good with js so maybe you will understand more?

juggledad Nov 29, 2011 10:45 AM

do you have different menu's for the different pages?

lakewooditsupport Nov 29, 2011 11:18 AM

Yes I have created three maybe more different wp menus then used the js menu plugin to style them then used display widget plugin to select which pages which menus appear on.

juggledad Nov 29, 2011 12:04 PM

what happens if you swap the menus for the different pages? or shut off the styling?

lakewooditsupport Nov 30, 2011 06:27 AM

Same problem with no styling, again the problem only occurs when the menu in of a certain height. Shorter menu's aren't affected and work perfectly with sticky footer.

lmilesw Nov 30, 2011 01:58 PM

Perhaps once you load content on all the pages this will be a moot point.