Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Changing the font in the style sheet doesn't seem to be taking (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1919)

AlanaBay Jun 4, 2009 07:53 PM

Changing the font in the style sheet doesn't seem to be taking

I am new to WordPress but have spent a fair share of time hand coding HTML and CSS, so I thought this would be pretty straight forward.

For some reason, I can't get this theme Atahualpa to accept the changes I'm making to style.css. At first I didn't have the permissions set, but now they are. I went into the Editor, and changed:

h1 {font-size: 2.15em; font-weight: bold;}
h2 {font-size: 1.85em; font-weight: bold;}
h3 {font-size: 1.6em; font-weight: bold; }

to

h1 {font-size: 2.15em;}
h2 {font-size: 1.85em;}
h3 {font-size: 1.6em;}

and changed:

code, pre {
font-family: "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
font-size: 1em;
}

to:

code, pre {
font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif;
font-size: 1em;
}

And clicked update file.

When I view the file, there is no change in the fonts. What am I doing wrong? Am I not supposed to get inside the style.css file and change it?

Thanks so much

juggledad Jun 4, 2009 07:56 PM

You shouldn't have to make change to style.css. Most things are changeable some where in the Atahualpa options. If you need to override some CSS, there is a tab 'HTML/CSS Inserts' that you can use.

AlanaBay Jun 4, 2009 08:38 PM

You know, I feel like I am trying to use the mouse but with my hands tied behind my back.

The changes I made in the tab you referenced as far as changing the font-family in the Body tag didn't work, so I'm just going to try something very simple, like taking off the bold for the h1, h2, h3 tags. Then maybe I can see how this system works.

Could you please tell me specifically where to replace :

h1 {font-size: 2.15em; font-weight: bold;}
h2 {font-size: 1.85em; font-weight: bold;}
h3 {font-size: 1.6em; font-weight: bold; }

with:

h1 {font-size: 2.15em; }
h2 {font-size: 1.85em; }
h3 {font-size: 1.6em; }

Thanks for your help.

juggledad Jun 5, 2009 04:42 AM

Ok, let me take a stab at this (note, I'm not the developer, user a user of the theme who has been delving deep into it. My CSS is rusty, so my answers are from observations)

this theme is very granulized, there are hundreds of options and things you can change. To do this, the author (Flynn) extensively uses DIV's, CLASS's and ID's. When a page is generated for viewing, the combination of the style.css and the inline <style> have so many overrides, that a global change like to <H1> will be overridden by the specific changes so it will not appear to take effect.

This is the strength of this theme changes can be made in a GUI, yet there is a place to code CSS inserts.

I know it didn't directly answer your question, but I hope this helps.

AlanaBay Jun 5, 2009 12:12 PM

Thanks, JuggleDad, for your input. I'm learning my way around here. The beauty of this theme lies in many areas, and hence many options, which naturally makes it more complicated to change.