Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Turning nav_menu-2 into dropdown for mobile devices (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=20463)

Fux Jun 7, 2013 03:13 AM

Turning nav_menu-2 into dropdown for mobile devices

I am using nav_menu-2 in widgetarea-one as my main menu - I do not use the menu bar.

While the menu bar gets conveniently turned into a dropdown box above the content, the nav_menu-2 in widgetarea-one will just be moved above the content, but not turned into a dropdown box.

Is there a way to apply the mighty dropbox-folding mechanism to the nav_menu-2? I was unable to find the code for that at all, but I am not a code ninja, more like a brawler...

juggledad Jun 7, 2013 04:06 AM

The 'Custom Menu' widget is WordPress code and is not part of the theme. Could it be made to act like the main menu? Probably...with a lot of time and effort. Are you interested in funding it?

jerryc Jun 7, 2013 05:17 AM

A google for Wordpress dropdown menu plugin returns several. If you find a good one that's compatible with MZ, please post it here.

Fux Jun 10, 2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 101325)
Are you interested in funding it?

I considered that. But I realized that putting the menu in the sidebar brings several more problems with it that would also have to be solved (for example: where do I put all the other widgets (in that same sidebar) in mobile/small-screen-mode? Surely not on top of the main content...). So I'm afraid I'll have to switch to the standard menu bar anyway.

But thank you.

Web conception has become so arduous...

jerryc Jun 10, 2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fux (Post 101401)
I realized that putting the menu in the sidebar brings several more problems ...

With MZ, think outside the sides when you hear the term sidebars. You can put sidebars in you headers, footers, and even your main content area of your templates.

Fux Jun 10, 2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryc (Post 101410)
With MZ, think outside the sides when you hear the term sidebars. You can put sidebars in you headers, footers, and even your main content area of your templates.

That's not at all the point. The point is to decide which element I want to appear where. Sidebars (on the side) are so convenient because their content is always right there next to the main content. That does not happen if you put them above or below the main content - they quickly get scrolled of the screen.

juggledad Jun 10, 2013 10:12 AM

Actually the Montezuma 'dynamic_sidebar' should have been called 'dynamic_widget_area' (in my opinion). A sidebar is just a widget area.

Look at 'index.php' it has a div (the row) with two columns. The first is 8 columns and contains the content, and the other is 4 columns and is a 'dynamic_sidebar'.

You could add
HTML Code:

<div id="above_main" class="row">

<div id="header_widgetarea" class="col12">
                <?php dynamic_sidebar( 'header widget area' ); ?>
        </div>

</div>

just after the 'get_header()' and have a widget area that spans the width of your content.

You could edit postformat.php and put
HTML Code:

<?php dynamic_sidebar( 'post widget area' ); ?>
at the very begining and now you would have a widget area that shows up before each post (on a multi post page.)

so there is a lot you can do with the _dynamic_sidebae' (or as it should be called 'dynamic_widgetarea')

lmilesw Jun 10, 2013 10:58 AM

To keep the menu in sight you could also use one of the "sticky menu" plugins available. One of them is called the WP Sticky Menu Plugin and one is called UberMenu Sticky Menu extension which works along with UberMenu. Both of these are on CodeCanyon. UberMenu can be set to be responsive.

There may be some free ones available on wordpress.org but I have not searched extensively as the cost of the premium one is pretty reasonable.

jerryc Jun 10, 2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 101425)
Actually the Montezuma 'dynamic_sidebar' should have been called 'dynamic_widget_area' (in my opinion). A sidebar is just a widget area.

Great idea Juggledad. Maybe on some newer version, that can be included in the code, with the old sidebar name still usable for legacy sites.

Quote:

... so there is a lot you can do with the _dynamic_sidebar' (or as it should be called 'dynamic_widgetarea')
Not only that, I don't think there's any limit to how many you can have, is there? If you want one sidebar with x number widgets in it, you can have that, or you can have x number of sidebars with various numbers of widgets in them.

MZ is amazingly versatile in this regard.