Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Show Sidebar on only a few pages??? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8179)

globalnerds Jul 14, 2010 04:32 PM

Show Sidebar on only a few pages???

I would like to show the right sidebar on only a few pages. I could use the "Don't display on pages", but since I am always adding pages to the site, this could become very cumbersome.

I saw that there was something for "Tag Pages" but I am not sure what this is. Is there a way to put either the page numbers or url somewhere so that the right sidebar shows up only on 1 or 2 pages (the sidebar would not show up anywhere else on the site).

I am running WordPress 2.9.2 and Atahualpa 3.4.4. The site is eponaracingstable.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Roseann
GlobalNerds.com

juggledad Jul 14, 2010 05:01 PM

If you search the forums, somewhere is a post I did explaining how to change the EXCLUDE to an INCLUDE sidebar on pages xxx, yyy,zzz

globalnerds Jul 14, 2010 05:57 PM

Wow! Thanks for the quick response!

However the only post that was similar was this one:
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...+sidebar+pages

But it doesn't really answer my question.

On the ATO>Style and Configure Sidebar

There is an option for the right/left sidebar to appear on certain types of pages (i.e. Homepage, "Page" pages, etc.), then below that is a place to put page numbers that you DON'T want the sidebar to appear. What I am looking for is the opposite. I only want the sidebar to appear on only a few pages. Meaning whatever widgets that are in the sidebar should only appear on, for example, pages 6 and 10 and no others. Since I am always adding pages to the site, I would have to keep adding those new pages to the "Don't display on Pages" area - which can be cumbersome and easy to forget.

I am using the flexi-pages widget to show pages (that are hidden in the header menu) only when two pages on my site are shown.

Thanks!!!

juggledad Jul 14, 2010 06:36 PM

See http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...nclude+sidebar

globalnerds Jul 14, 2010 06:38 PM

Again, wow! Quick reply!

Unfortunately, I cannot see that link. When I click on it I get the following:

globalnerds, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

globalnerds Jul 14, 2010 07:51 PM

I did a search on "Include+sidebar" in the BFA forums and didn't find anything that really fit. I am using the plugin Widget Logic so that the widgets that I want on the pages where I want the sidebar to appear only appear on those pages. However, this didn't really accomplish my goal.

What I want is the sidebar (an any widgets I want) to appear only on certain pages - on the remaining pages - no sidebar at all. So for example, a right sidebar would appear on page numbers 6,8 and 10 ALL of the remaining pages would not contain a sidebar at all.

I am really looking to do the opposite of Don't display on Pages - what I really need is "ONLY display on pages" in the ATO>style & configure sidebars.

Is there a piece of code that I can change so that instead of dont display change it to only display. I assume this is a piece of sql code that I might be able to tweak correct (I am also an Oracle and SQL Server DBA).

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

juggledad Jul 15, 2010 02:52 AM

That post is in the gold forums tutorials section

globalnerds Jul 15, 2010 08:10 AM

I have donated money in the past, I think it was $5, not sure. Can I donate another $20 to get into the gold forums?

juggledad Jul 15, 2010 07:14 PM

You should have access now

aravere Apr 15, 2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 37100)

Hi Juggledad- I'm trying to do the same thing here- have a sidebar appear on only a certain page. I visited the link above, but I am confused about exactly what I need to do/change and where. I'm not IT savvy, but can follow instructions! :)

Also, if I am using the the RIGHT sidebar on the home/front page, but not elsewhere, and I want a different sidebar (unique) on another page, can I use the RIGHT INNER sidebar and have it be hugging the right border of the page (similar to the regular RIGHT sidebar on the homepage)? Here's my site: www.timothychambers.com. I want to add a right sidebar to the Instruction pages.

Thx!

juggledad Apr 15, 2011 06:57 AM

instead of using two sidebars, why not use 'widget logic' so you can specify what pages to show - or not show - a widget

aravere Apr 15, 2011 07:01 AM

I'm open to anything that gives me more latitude. I'd love to figure out a way to have a bunch of linked images laid out in a nice grid pattern on ONE page (not all) as kind of a launching page for options (e.g. an "Art Instruction" page w image buttons pointing to "Instruction-Painting" and "Instruction-Drawing" , "Instruction-Workshops" etc....

So, what are you talking about? I wanna learn!

juggledad Apr 15, 2011 10:05 AM

You said you wanted the right sidebar on some pages and the right inner on others. Let's say you put widget A,B, and M in the right sidebar and widgets C, X and Y on the right inner sidebar.

With the 'Widget Logic' plugin, you put all the widgets (A,B,C,M.X and Y) in the right sidebar and don't use the right inner sidebar. Then, in the 'widget logic' area of the widget in the sidebar, you tell widget A, B and M to only display on page 13 and you tell widgets C, X and Y to only display on page 24

aravere Apr 16, 2011 05:44 PM

Hey thanks- I downloaded the plugin and will test it out. Thanks for the very quick help! Will be donating soon to your account. :)

toniko79 Mar 9, 2012 04:45 AM

Hello. I got the same problem. Want to include special pages in the sidebar options. Just made the donation. Thanks for that great support.

juggledad Mar 9, 2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Want to include special pages in the sidebar options.
what do you mean by this, do you want to have a menu of certain pages??

toniko79 Mar 9, 2012 11:24 AM

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...nclude+sidebar

...thats exactly what I want to do. But I donīt understand it exactly.

I have lots of pages, about 50. The right sidebar should appear on only on few of them.

Where do I have to put the code and what code. And then... where do I make the settings to make the sidebar appear on chosen pages.

Thanks a lot.

juggledad Mar 9, 2012 12:40 PM

two ways of doing it -
1) list all the page IDs you don't want it showing on in the 'RIGHT sidebar: Don't display on Pages:' option
2) follow the directions in the thread pointed at in post #4 of this thread