Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] How can I add div boxes to areas other than the posts/pages content area? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16780)

tsheridan Feb 16, 2012 02:34 PM

[SOLVED] How can I add div boxes to areas other than the posts/pages content area?

I want to know how I can add div boxes on my page, for example, a div after the footer (creating a widget area won't give me the look I'm after), or a div that I can position absolutely and give a z-index so it will float above another div.
I've not been able to figure this one out, so if anyone can tell me if this can be done and how, I sure would appreciate it.
This is a general question, not for any specific site that I can give a URL to, but I would be using the most recent versions of both WP and Atahualpa.
Thank you!

lmilesw Feb 16, 2012 05:41 PM

You can put a div in the footer and position. You can put a div in a text widget that you put in the footer that you can position. You could put a div in Edit HTML/CSS Inserts in the body bottom box and position. Bottom line is you can put a div just about anywhere and position absolutely with CSS.

tsheridan Feb 16, 2012 05:59 PM

Right, I can figure out how to get a div in the footer and in a text widget, what I want is a div below the footer, so I can move the copyright info below onto just the page background. If I add a div in the HTML/CSS Snippets, will it automatically place it below the last div, inside the wrapper? And if I want to add a div inside the container div, but position absolutely, how can I make sure that it's relative to the container div (hoping that makes sense, sorry). I guess I was thinking that the HTML/CSS snippets were only for styling existing divs not for adding new ones.
I'm used to designing in Dreamweaver and there I can see the layout of my divs and where I need to put new ones. I know I can see the divs with Firebug, but it doesn't help me figure out how to add the new ones exactly.
If I add a widget to the footer area, it will be placed IN the footer, correct? Is there a way I can get that below the footer, because that would work as well.
Thanks so much.

lmilesw Feb 16, 2012 06:22 PM

Working in Dreamweaver is certainly different than working with WordPress. Sometimes what you have to do is use CSS to position other elements to make room for a div you are positioning.

juggledad Feb 16, 2012 06:29 PM

put this in the 'Footer: Content' option
HTML Code:

</p></td></tr><tr>
<td id="myfooter" colspan="3"><p>
Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved

tsheridan Feb 20, 2012 08:30 AM

Juggledad, this didn't work. At least it's not the solution I want. It created an area at the bottom with the same color as the page background, but I want to see the bottom of the container and then have the new div below that, after the container.
Also, I still am trying to figure out how to create an absolutely positioned div, say off to the right of right sidebar, but overlapping the right sidebar some. How can I create that div, and then once it's created, how can I add content to it. If I create another widget in the sidebar, is it possible to style that one widget differently than the rest so it has a translucent background, and then move it around, so it's not actually in the sidebar?

juggledad Feb 20, 2012 08:56 AM

you could add a div in there and then position that
HTML Code:

Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved
</p></td></tr><tr>
<td id="myfooter" colspan="3"><div id="move_this"> mystuff </div> <p>

- css inserts
HTML Code:

#move_this {border: solid 1px red;
position: relative; top:200px;}

tsheridan Feb 22, 2012 06:27 AM

Juggledad, your latest suggestion for the footer worked great, thank you!