Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [SOLVED] Font color in sidebar differs from text links (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=17374)

Jeanie Lee Apr 20, 2012 11:40 PM

[SOLVED] Font color in sidebar differs from text links

Hi,

My text link default color is currently this color: 0179C1. My manual links that I put on my right sidebar is also the same color(0179C1) which is good and what I want. But unfortunately the links being shown on the right sidebar for 'widget:recent posts' is showing a different link color(it looks a different shade of blue compared with the link default color). I like to either change my default color to this color or change the widget recent posts link color to that of the link default color. Can you tell me how to do this. Where should I go to make this change.

Thanks
Jeanie

lmilesw Apr 21, 2012 06:40 AM

The styling for widgets is often different because of the selectors they use. You just have to determine the selectors using a tool like Firebug and define the proper CSS.

juggledad Apr 21, 2012 07:31 AM

did you look at the 'Style WIDGETs' options?

Jeanie Lee Apr 21, 2012 09:38 AM

I just took a look as suggested. Under widget list items, the font color shows 0179C1 which is the same as the default link color. It's strange because the colors shown on the site are different. Here take a look at my website and you will see the different color:(removed)

Any other suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks
Jeanie

juggledad Apr 21, 2012 10:23 AM

If you look at the links in the front page, they are using #0179C1 with the exception of the link for 'Best Infant Car Seat' in the first line. That has an in line style of #000000 (black) and the inlink style takes precidence over the style.css settings.

Jeanie Lee Apr 21, 2012 07:53 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't referring to that link you mentioned. I was referring to the links in the right side bar. If you take a look at the right side bar - look for 'Bestselling Infant Car Seats' - the 10 links used the link color '0179C1'. Now just below this under 'Latest Articles' the link color of those links looks different from the color in those links in 'Bestselling Infant Car Seats'. But when I checked the style widget options link color it seems to be '0179C1'. But the 2 colors really look different. Not sure if my eyes are playing a trick or if I need do something to get the same color. Imilesw says its supposed to be different for widgets but I don't have firebug to check that. But where can I change the color of the widget to match '0179C1' if I do confirm it's different. But if you have firebug and help check that, it would be good too.

Thanks again
Jeanie

juggledad Apr 22, 2012 05:29 AM

Styling is done using ID's and CLASS's assigned to HTML elements.

If every plugin developer/theme writer used the same names for their classes (insert hysterical laughter here) then it would be easy. Atahualpa tries to use the same that WordPress uses but other developers code their HTML differently and so you may have to change them adding CSS to the 'CSS Inserts' option

Now how to find it - couple ways
1) view a page, look at the source, find the widget and look at the ID/CLASS's involved (best way to learn)
2) use a code inspector like 'FireBug' (which is an addon extension for FireFox) - Chrome and Safari also have code inspectors.

it looks like you have already added some CSS to the CSS Inserts that are changing colors - do you understand what it does?

Jeanie Lee Apr 22, 2012 07:15 AM

I downloaded firebug and was able to inspect the code element of the culprit widget and identified the link color as #2361A1. The thing is I understand these changes are only effecting the way my browser sees the page, at this particular moment – you aren’t actually changing anything on the page itself, so the next time I load the page, it will go back to the way it was. That is not what I want. I want to be able to change #2361A1 link color (in widget) to that of #0179C1, the link color all my other links are using. There must be a way that I can change the color of the widget link color since I've identified the color to change from. Can you tell me where (in appearance template editor?) I should go and change the widget color. I am kind of stuck because the easier way would be to change the link default color(body style) to #2361A1 - because I prefer the original body style link color. Any help for this noob will be appreciated?

Thanks again
Jeanie

juggledad Apr 22, 2012 11:49 AM

read the last line of my previous post

Jeanie Lee Apr 23, 2012 03:06 AM

Thanks so much- that's the missing link. I went to CSS Inserts to change the link color. But just to answer you. I did not put those inserts codes there in the first place as you thought. When I first installed my Atahualpa theme I received the Atahualpa settings extract file (from Marc,Wordpress Academy) and told to copy paste into the extract area and import the settings. Well I learned something today that I can change the widget link colors from here.

Thanks so much for helping to solve this.

Jeanie